How we use your personal information – Duke of Edinburgh’s Award society
This statement explains how the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award society (“we”, “us” and “our”) handles and uses the personal information we collect about our members [and trip attendees] for processes relating to our operations and activities.
When changes are made to this statement, we will publish the updated version on our website and notify our members via email.
The controller for your personal information is the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award society. The persons responsible for data protection within our society are the Treasurer and President who can be contacted at email@example.com
How we use your personal information
We collect and process your personal information for a number of purposes, including:
• Maintaining your personal details (name and email address) to ensure effective communications with you.
• Keeping financial records (payment of your membership fees, trip fees, merchandise).
• Maintaining a formal record of your activities with us.
• Maintaining a Next of Kin and health list for trips
• Registering you, upon your request (completion of a sign up or transfer form), for the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award (which includes registering for the Scout Network)
• Managing society alumni relations and fundraising.
Our normal legal basis for processing your personal information is your consent, which you gave at the point you become a member of the society and/or sign up to a trip/tour and which you can withdraw at any time, including by resigning your membership and/or attendance for a trip. We only collect and use minimal information for the limited purposes listed here. If we use your personal information outside of the purposes listed here, we will seek your consent to do so in advance.
We keep your personal information for as long as we need it, and usually for 1 year after your membership ceases.
How we share your personal information
• Personal information is not normally shared outside of the society and its members.
• We share some of your personal information with Warwick Students’ Union, Warwick University, The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award, and The Scout Association only where there is a specific need to, including for trips and tours, registering for the completion of the award, notification of Expeditions. In doing so, some of these organisations may contact you separately
• We use University IT facilities to store electronic copies of personal information.
We may also be subject to a legal requirement (with or without your consent) to share your personal information with the University or a government agency (such as the police or security services or other statutory authorities with investigatory powers) under special circumstances (e.g. relating to tax, crime or health and safety). Where feasible and appropriate, we will notify you of our intention to share such information in advance.
You have the right to access the personal information that we hold about you. You also have the right to ask us to correct any inaccurate personal information we hold about you, to delete personal information, or otherwise restrict our processing, or to object to processing or communications, or to receive an electronic copy of the personal information you provided to us. Please note that all of these rights are qualified in various ways.
If you have questions or concerns about how your personal information is used, please contact us using the above details.
If you remain unhappy with the way your information is being handled, or with the response received from us, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office at Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, SK9 5AF (https://ico.org.uk/).
Last updated: May 2018