'A Slave Auction'. Source: Narrative of the Life and Adventures of Henry Bibb (1849), p. 201.
Seminar Reading and Questions
- Week 1: African society and the Atlantic Slave Trade
- Week 2: The origins and codification of slavery
- Week 3: Colonial slavery: Challenge and response
- Week 4: The Impact of the Revolution
- Week 5: Internal slave trade
- Week 7: The spread of slavery to the towns
- Week 8: Rebellions
- Week 9: Abolitionism and the end of slavery
- Week 10 dissertation and long essay workshop
Mon 12-1; Fri 2-3
Fri 9-11 H303; 11-1 H245
Please note that students are not permitted to study both this module and the Advanced Option module 'Space, Place and Movement in Atlantic Slave Societies: Brazil, Cuba and West Africa, 1791-1888 (AM420)'.