- Room: Humanities H335
- Telephone: 024 7652 3417
- Office Hours: Mondays 11:00-12:00 and Wednesdays 11-12:00
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- BA (Hons): University of Manchester
- MA (Historical Computation): University of Hull
- PhD: University of Leeds
- Research assistant, University of Leeds, 1986-88
- Lecturer, University of Warwick, 1988-2005
- Senior Lecturer/Associate Professor, University of Warwick, 2005-
- Winner of a Warwick Award for Teaching Excellence, 2006
- National Teaching Fellow, 2010
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, 2011
- Winner of the Arts Faculty Research Impact Award, 2013
- Subject Director for History, Higher Education Academy Subject Centre for History, Classics and Archaeology, 2008-11
- Foundation Fellow of the Warwick International Higher Education Academy
- Foundation Fellow of the Warwick Institute of Engagement
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, 2015
- Principal Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, 2017
Other Scholarly Activities
- Convenor: Women's History Network
- Chair: Dugdale Society
- External examiner, University of Greenwich, University of Glasgow, University of Southampton
- Founder member of Association for History and Computing, Treasurer of UK branch
- Editorial Board of Women's History Review
Undergraduate Modules Taught
- British Women and the Politics of Italian Unification (HI2F7)
- Gender, History and Politics, 1760-1939 (HI253)
- British Parliamentary and Electoral Politics, 1688-1832 (HI254)
- Georgian Britain (HI284)
- The Victorian City (HI371)
- Crime and Punishment in the Long Nineteenth Century (HI398)
Postgraduate Modules Taught
- Politics and Opinion in Hanoverian Britain
- MA in Local and Regional History
- 'Conversations with Parliament: Women and the Politics of Pressure in Nineteenth-Century Britain', Parliamentary History, 37 (2018)
'Transforming the Body Politic: Food Reform and Feminism in Nineteenth-Century Britain', in Francesca Scott, Kate Scarth and Ji Won Chung (eds), Picturing Women's Health (Pickering and Chatto, 2014)
- 'A regular politician in breeches: the life and work of Harriet Lewin Grote', in Kyriakos Demetriou, Companion to George Grote (Brill Academic Publishers, 2014)
- The Political Worlds of Women: Gender and Political Culture in Nineteenth-Century Britain (Routledge, 2013)
with Katie Barclay (eds), Special edition: ‘Performing the Self: Women's Lives in Historical Perspective’, Women’s History Review, 22: 2 (2013)
- 'Women, Philanthropy and Imperialism in Nineteenth-century Britain' in Helen Gilbert and Chris Tiffin (eds), Burden or Benefit: The Legacies of Benevolence (Indiana University Press, 2008)
- '"You know your father’s heart”. The Cobden sisterhood and the legacy of Richard Cobden' in Anthony Howe and Simon Morgan (eds), Re-thinking Nineteenth-century Liberalism (Ashgate, 2006)
- 'Politics and Gender in the nineteenth century' in Chris Williams (ed.), Blackwell's Companion to Nineteenth Century British History (Blackwell, 2004 and 2006)
- with Sonja Cameron, Using Computers in History (Palgrave, 2005)
- with Anna Clark (eds), The History of the Suffrage, 1760-1867 6 vols, (Pickering Chatto, 2000).
- with Kathryn Gleadle (eds), Women and British Politics, 1760-1860: The Power of the Petticoat (Macmillan, 2000) including my article, '"Well-neighboured houses": the political networks of elite women'.
- with Richard Hall, The Anglican clergy and Yorkshire politics in the eighteenth century (York, Borthwick papers, 1998)
- 'The Age of Reform', 'Education and Literacy' and 'Twentieth-century elections' in Simon Hall and John Haywood (eds), The Pengiun Atlas of British and Irish History (Penguin, 2001)
- with Astrid Wissenburg, 'Developing and disseminating hypermedia course-ware: great expectations' in L Borodkin (ed.) Data Modelling. Modelling History (Moscow, 1997)
- 'The role of women in electoral politics in Yorkshire during the eighteen-thirties', Northern History, 1996
- Nominal record linkage and letter-cluster sampling', History and Computing, 1996
Current Research Projects
- Mapping Women's Suffrage
- Women and political culture in late eighteenth- and early nineteenth-century
- Women and political authority in the late nineteenth century focusing on the papers of the Cobden sisters
- Electoral politics and the law
- HumBox - Open Educational Resources for the Humanities
- It's Good to Talk - Improving student feedback experiences
- Academic Literacy - part of the Kings-Warwick project on the development of the academic curriculum
Research Students Supervised (PhD, MA)
- Sarah Boote Powell, 'Electoral Politics in three midlands cities'
- Oihane Etayo Ballesteros, ' Women and social and political mobilisation in nineteenth and twentieth century Britain' (co-supervision)
- Dave Steele, 'Crowds in Nineteenth-Century political culture'
- Dr Amy Galvin, 'From Suffragette to Citizen' (collaborative doctoral award with the Parliamentary Archives - co-supervision)
- Dr Natalie Hanley Smith, 'The Menage a trois in early nineteenth century Britain'
- John Wilmot, 'Dispensaries in the West Midlands' (co-supervision)
- Dr Seth Thévoz, 'Clubs and Electoral Politics, 1832-67' (collaborative doctoral award with the History of Parliament)
- Dr Young Hwi Yoon, 'The Abolition of Slavery Movement in the Late Eighteenth Century' (co-supervision)
- Tara Morton, 'The Suffrage Atelier'
- Dr Peter Bysouth, 'Small Towns in Nineteenth-century England' (co-supervision)
- Dr Sarah Hudson, 'Attitudes to Investment Risk amongst West Midland Canal and Railway Company Investors 1700-1850'
- Dr Jane Adams, 'Health and Health Care in Herefordshire 1780-1850' (co-supervision)
- Dr Kevin Quigley, 'The Development of U.S. China policy 1959-72'
- Dr Brian Howman, 'Anti-Slavery Movements in the North-west of England' (co-supervision)
- Debbie Wood, 'Women, Radicalism and Politics in early Nineteenth-century Staffordshire'
MA by Research
- Mark Bennett, 'The US Civil War and the West Riding of Yorkshire'
- Rowan Burrows, 'Chartism and the Press'
- Judith Flint, 'Provision for the Poor in Nineteenth-Century Melton Mowbray'
- David Insull, 'Electoral Politics in Eighteenth-Century Northampton' (co-supervision)
- Sarah Boote Powell, 'Electoral Politics in Coventry in the Age of Reform'