There are seven seminar areas. For each seminar there is core reading. NB Each student is expected to read these items before the seminar.
There are also readings and e-resources for the site visits which students are encouraged to consult in advance of the visit.
For each seminar there are also seminar questions. Indications for further reading are given which can be used to prepare seminar questions. They are also to be used as the basis for essays.
Essay titles should be chosen in consultation with tutors.
Wherever possible, items are available online. For scanned items, click here.
The Warwick in Venice Library
Most items in the bibliographies are found in the Warwick in Venice Library.
Search the Warwick in Venice Library via our web catalogue set "Venice Library" in the Location: box
Other Libraries in Venice
Items not in the Warwick collection can be found in other Venetian libraries. There are four main libraries in Venice. The catalogues can be checked online here. Listed below is some basic information concerning their location and opening hours. NB When going to the libraries for the first time, take your passport, some passport photos, and a letter saying that you are a Warwick student. Chiara can provide letters.
"BAUM" (Biblioteca Area Umanistica Università Ca' Foscari)
- Location: Palazzo Malcanton Marcorà - Dorsoduro 3484/D. This is just off Campo S. Margherita. For a map, click here.
- Opening Hours: Monday to Friday: 08.30-21.45 Saturday: 09.00 to 13.00 Sunday: Closed.
- Website: http://www.unive.it/pag/4756
- Comments: This is the humanities library of the University of Venice, with which Warwick has signed an agreement. The new library building was opened in 2006 and it contains over 300,000 books and 1,200 journals. It can seat 300 people.
- Catalogue: Click here.
“Querini” (Biblioteca della Fondazione Querini Stampalia)
- Location: Campo Santa Maria Formosa, Palazzo Querini Stampalia (first floor)
- Opening Hours: Monday: Closed Tuesday to Saturday: 10.00 – 24.00 Sunday: 10.00 – 19.00
- Website: http://www.querinistampalia.org/eng/library.php
- Comments: This library is located in the Palazzo Querini Stampalia. NB This library is useful for its opening hours (late night and weekend). So when other libraries are closed, this is where you should come and study.
“Marciana” (Biblioteca Nazionale Marciana)
- Location: Piazzetta San Marco, 7 (entrance near Caffé Chioggia)
- Opening Hours: Monday to Friday: 08.10 – 19.00 Saturday: 08.10 – 13.30 Sunday: Closed
- Website: marciana.venezia.sbn.it/
- Comments: This library is located in the old Mint (Zecca). It is much larger than the Correr and has a much wider selection of holdings. Certain categories of books can be ordered in the morning only.
“Correr” (Biblioteca del Museo Correr)
- Location: Procuratie Nuove, Piazza San Marco (entrance near Caffé Florian; go through to second courtyard and take the lift up to the second floor).
- Opening Hours: Monday, Wednesday and Friday: 08.30 – 13.30 Tuesday and Thursday: 08.30 – 17.00 Saturday and Sunday: Closed
- Website: http://correr.visitmuve.it/en/il-museo/servizi-agli-studiosi/photographic-archive-2/
- Comments: This is a small and friendly library that specialises in art-historical texts (it is the dedicated library of the Museo Correr). It has relatively few seats, so if you want to guarantee getting in, make sure you arrive early.