Andrea Klaus MA CertEd HE FHEA
Associate Professor in German Studies
Tel: +44 (0)24 765 24480
Email: A dot G dot Klaus at warwick dot ac dot uk
FAB 4.56, Faculty of Arts Building,
University of Warwick, Coventry CV4 7AL
Andrea Klaus is Associate Professor (Teaching) in German Studies. She received her MA in English and German Language and Literature from the University of Heidelberg (Germany). Prior to her appointment at Warwick, she taught German at the University of Sunderland, funded by the German Academic Exchange Service. She is external examiner at the University of Aston and acted previously as external examiner at the University of Cambridge and the University of Sunderland. In 2017 she was awarded a Teaching Excellence Certificate from WBS (Warwick Business School) for outstanding contribution to the undergraduate programmes. She is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA).
Her main areas of interest are language teaching and learning in Higher Education as well as translation studies (theory and practice).
Her major translations include academic essays and books (e.g. Teaching Content through a Foreign Language: Teaching Methods in the Bilingual Classroom, Streeter, J. (ed), 2000). She has also worked as translator in various other areas, for example as German translator for the Canadian Ukrainian Opera Association.
She also has a particular interest in gender studies (feminism and women in the workplace).
Teaching and supervision
- GE201: German Essay Writing
- GE401: German Essay Writing and Conversation classes
- GE339: Exploring Zeitgeist: Politics, Culture and Society in Germany today
- LN400: Final Year Dissertation
- Exams Secretary (German Studies)
- Year Abroad Coordinator for work placements (German Studies)
- Course Director for German and Business Studies
- Undergraduate Studies/ Teaching & Learning
- Year 4 Language Coordinator (German Studies)
- Admission support (Open Days)
- Personal Tutor
- Stolpersteine - German in 10 minutes a day (University of Warwick Press), (2019), https://publishing.warwick.ac.uk/index.php/uwp/catalog/book/1 or: https://doi.org/10.31273/978-0-9934245-6-4
- Why we cannot afford to lose Erasmus+ (with Silke Mentchen), https://www.ucml.ac.uk/news/340 (November 2016)see also: Association for Language Learning (ALL): https://www.all-languages.org.uk/news/brexit- update-february-2017/ (March 2017)
- Herinneringen aan Hesse: achterhaald leesplezier of regelrechte actualiteit? in Hermann Hesse. Een biografie, Krans, Alfred (ed), (2011)
- Hesses Gertrud, Hesse Page Journal (HPJ), Vol. IV, Nr. 5 (2004)
- Ein Fach in der Krise – zur Situation von Germanistik und DaF an britischen Hochschulen (with Nicola Reimann), InfoDaf (2003)
- Erinnerungen an Hesse: überholtes Lesevergnügen oder unmittelbare Gegenwartsbezogenheit? Hesse Page Journal (HPJ), Vol. III, Nr. 15 (2002)
- Teaching German Literature to First Year Students, Association for Language Learning (ALL), (2000)
- MA in German and English Language and Literature (Heidelberg)
- Certificate in Teaching in Higher Education (Sunderland)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Advice and Feedback Times
Mondays 1 - 2pm in my office.
Please send me an email to see me either face-to-face or on MS Teams at another mutually convenient time.
Teaching 2022-23Undergraduate modules:
GE201: German Essay Writing
GE401: German Essay Writing and Conversation classes
GE339: Exploring Zeitgeist: Politics, Culture and Society in Germany today
LN400: Final Year Dissertation