Professor of French Studies | Deputy Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Europe).
Professor Seán Hand is currently seconded to be Deputy Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Europe) of the University of Warwick. In this capacity he is an academic leader of the EUTOPIA European-funded university alliance. In 2014-16 he was Head of Warwick's School of Modern Languages and Cultures, and in 2008-2011 he was Head of the Department of French Studies. He joined the University of Warwick as a Professor of French Studies in 2005. He is a member of the Academia Europaea, a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, and a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts. He is an Honorary Professorial Fellow of Zhejiang University, and has been an Honorary Professor of Monash University, a Visiting Fellow at St. Catherine's College, Oxford, and a Visiting Fellow at the National University of Singapore. He has been an assessor for the AHRC, the European Science Foundation, the Irish Research Council, the Israel Science Foundation, and the South African National Research Foundation. He is a Vice-Chair of the MSCA Individual Fellowships competition, a member of the Arts Emergency network, and a mentor for the Social Mobility Foundation.
Seán Hand's teaching covers literature, ideas and related developments from the early twentieth century to the present day, in both a French and a more international context. He invites applications to work with him at doctoral or post-doctoral level. His research examines writings in French of the past 100 years. He published the first two monographs in English on the autobiography, ethnography and criticism of Michel Leiris. He then brought the philosophy of Emmanuel Levinas to a wider audience through translations, a Reader, a collection of critical essays, and a monograph. He has also edited and introduced a collection of new essays on post-Holocaust France and the Jews, published on Derrida, Duras, Grimbert, Jabès, Lacan, Nancy, postmodernism, Jewish writing and historiography, and translated into English a number of philosophical works written in French.
B.A. (M.A. Oxon), D.Phil. Oxford. MBA, D.Litt. Warwick.
- 2014 Chinese edition of Emmanuel Levinas, Chongqing, Chongqing University Press, ISBN-10: 7562484198, ISBN-13: 978-7562484196.
- 2014 Kindle/ebook edition of Facing the Other. The Ethics of Emmanuel Levinas.
- 2014 ‘Speech and Silence: Levinas and the Postwar Refounding of Ethics’, Levinas Studies, 9, 183-201.
- 2014 ‘Emmanuel Levinas’, in M. Kelly et al. (eds), Oxford Encyclopedia of Aesthetics, Oxford and New York, Oxford University Press, 2nd edition, volume 4, pp. 194-97. ISBN hardback 0199747105.
- 2015: Seán Hand and Steven T. Katz (eds), Post-Holocaust France and the Jews, 1945-1955, New York, New York University Press, 256 pp., hardback 9781479835041, and kindle edition B00YDDKGSQ. Introduction pp. 1-25.
- 2016: Emmanuel Levinas, Difficult Freedom. Essays on Judaism, a translation, with glossary, further reprint (previously 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015), Baltimore, Johns Hopkins University Press, xiv + 306 pp., ISBN 080185783X.
- 2017: Alter Ego. The Critical Writings of Michel Leiris, London, Routledge, Kindle edition B078579K4T of Oxford, Legenda, ix + 143 pp. ISBN 1 900755 98 X.
- 2019: 'Levinas, Literature, and Philosophy', in M. L. Morgan (ed.), The Oxford Handbook of Levinas, Oxford, Oxford University Press, chapter 26, pp. 529-48, ISBN-10 0190455934, ISBN-13 978-0190455934. Online DOI: 0.1093/oxfordhb/9780190455934.013.51, ebook / kindle edition ASIN B07QC86FFD.
- 2019: ‘Inoperative Governance, or the “democracy to come”: Jacques Derrida’s Voyous’, in C. Davis and O. Davis (eds), Freedom and the Subject of Theory: Essays in Honour of Christina Howells, Oxford, Legenda, pp. 76-88, hardback 978-1-781887-33-2, paperback (2020) 978-1-781887-34-9, JSTOR ebook 978-1-781887-81-3.
- 2019: 'Academic cooperation in Europe', interview, Hermes, La Revue, (CNRS Editions), 85, 143-48.
Email S dot Hand at warwick dot ac dot uk