SMLC Doctoral Scholarship (2023 entry)
This call is now closed
(deadline: noon, 20 April 2023)
The School of Modern Languages & Cultures invites applications for the award of one SMLC Doctoral Scholarship to an outstanding candidate to pursue a PhD from October 2023 in one of the following areas: French Studies, German Studies, Italian, or Hispanic Studies or Translation & Transcultural Studies (all broadly conceived).
Applications are open to PhD applicants with home fee status and with overseas fee status.
The award consists of:
- payment of academic fees for home fees level OR an equivalent reduction in fees for overseas fee status students;
- a UKRI-level stipend for 3.5 years, regardless of fee status.
You must also be applying (or be an offer holder) for one of the PhD courses in the University of Warwick’ School of Modern Languages & Cultures to begin in October 2023.
The scholarship cannot be deferred to the next academic year.
We will look for an applicant of the highest calibre, who has the academic potential and the motivation to succeed in their PhD. Their research will be highly compatible with the expertise available in the School.
The School of Modern Languages & Cultures strongly encourages applications from all underrepresented groups, particularly from those with disabilities, people from ethnic minorities or disadvantaged backgrounds, women, and members of LBGTQUA+ communities.
If you are a new applicant, you must:
- Apply for a place of study (admission) without delay and in any case by Monday 17 April 2023: please see here.
- You will be able to nominate academic referees via the Applicants Portal. Please ensure that their references are received by 17 April 2023 as well.
- Upload a research proposal, with a project title, an outline of the context of the research, its aims and objectives, research questions, methodology and scholarly significance; your preparation for study and previous experience; and the fit of your profile and project with our School.
- Fill out the separate online application formLink opens in a new window for the purpose of the award, explaining why you should be considered for the SMLC scholarship by noon (UK time) 20 April 2023.
If you are an offer-holder for one of the SMLC’s PhD courses and have applied for the M4C’s Doctoral Partnership, a Chancellor’s International Scholarship, or a China Scholarship Council award, you may be considered for the SMLC award, if you are unsuccessful in obtaining funding from these other sources.
- Please confirm that you wish to be considered for the award by filling out the online application formLink opens in a new window explaining why you should be considered for the scholarship by noon (UK time) 20 April 2023.
- You do not need to provide new references or full project description and you do not need to reapply for admission.
If you have any queries about the award or the process, please send an email to SMLCOffice@warwick.ac.uk. Please put ‘SMLC Doctoral Scholarship’ in the subject line.
We regret we cannot accept any applications after the deadline. If you run into technical issues with the form, you must inform us at the above email address before the deadline. Ideally, attach a screenshot.
Apply online for the SMLC Doctoral Scholarship by 12 noon (UK time), 20 April 2023
via this linkLink opens in a new window
New applicants: apply also for a place of study hereLink opens in a new window by 17 April 2023.Link opens in a new window