If you are interested in MPhil/PhD funding for 2021 entry, please direct your enquiry to pglanguages [at] warwick.ac.uk
The call for M4C doctoral awards is now open. We are awaiting details of the calls for the next tranches of funding.
The School of Modern Languages and Cultures (SMLC) at the University of Warwick is pleased to invite applications for doctoral study commencing in September/October 2021.
Please get in touch early to identify potential supervisors and to prepare a robust application.
- For more information on prerequisites and how apply for a place of study, please see here.
- To search for relevant research expertise among our staff, see here. The School Director of Graduate Studies will also be pleased to advise on this.
A broad range of funding opportunities is advertised on the websites of Warwick’s Doctoral College and the Centre for Arts Doctoral Research Excellence (CADRE). Please note that several funding schemes operate multi-staged application processes and early deadlines.
The SMLC will nominate a number of first-rate applications from prospective and qualifying existing students for the following funding opportunities:
- AHRC Midlands 4 Cities Doctoral Training Programme for students (home / international [home fees only]: 94 Scholarships are available across 8 Consortium institutions (including Warwick). For more information, see here. The final deadline is 13thJanuary 2021 but applications should be started late October / November 2020.
In 2019/20 The following other scholarship opportunities were available for 2020 entry (calls for 2021 entry are pending):
- EU Chancellor’s Scholarships: The University offers 10 scholarships to EU (non-UK) applicants, covering maintenance and full tuition fees over 3.5 years. For information on how to apply for these University scholarships please see here.The deadline is 23:59 pm GMT on Thursday 16th January 2020. All supporting documentation must be uploaded by Thursday 23rd January 2020. Discussion of your application with the SMLC should start in November-early December 2019.
- Chancellor’s International Scholarships: The University offers 30 scholarships to the most outstanding international (‘overseas’) PhD applicants.For on how to apply for these University scholarships, please see here. The deadline is 23:59 pm GMT on Thursday 16th January 2020. All supporting documentation must be uploaded by Thursday 23rd January 2020. Discussion of your application with the SMLC should start in November-early December 2019.
We are also happy to discuss other relevant funding options and self-funded study (full-time or part-time).
The School of Modern Languages and Cultures at Warwick offers its graduate students a vibrant research culture and community, with more than 30 students currently enrolled on PhDs in the School, alongside some 20 Master’s students and a number of postdoctoral research fellows.
Postgraduate researchers play a vital role in our research community, together with postdoctoral researchers and academic staff of national and international renown. In the 2014 REF, our research outputs were ranked 5th in the UK. 80% of our research and 80% of our ‘impact’ were ranked at 4* or 3*, and 100% of our environment was similarly ranked as world-leading or internationally excellent. Our overall output ranking places us at the top of the Russell Group. Modern Languages and Linguistics at Warwick are placed in the top 10 in the UK in the Guardian University Leagues Table 2020. Warwick also ranks 51st in the THE World University Rankings 2020 of institutions offering Languages, literature, & linguistics.
Our research expertise ranges from the Middle Ages and Early Modern period to the present. We study Modern Languages (French, German, Italian, Iberian languages, and Chinese) in a broad intellectual and global context, covering literature, cultural, social and intellectual history, film, politics, philosophy, and translation studies.To search for a potential supervisor in the School by their specialism, click here.
Individual staff and their specialisms can be viewed here.
Applicants who may be interested in doctoral study in Modern Languages (French Studies, German Studies, Hispanic Studies, Italian Studies, Translation Studies) at Warwick are invited to contact the School Director of Graduate Studies as soon as possible via firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants will be notified early in May of the outcome of their application.