• Barry, Peter. 2009. Beginning Theory: An Introduction to Literary and Cultural Theory (Manchester: MUP). (Chapters on Feminist and Gay/lesbian/queer theory)
• Butler, Judith. 1990. Gender Trouble: Feminism and the Subversion of Identity (London: Routledge).
• Dinnerstein, Dorothy. 1987 . The Rocking of the Cradle and the Ruling of the World (London: Women’s Press).
• Foucault, Michel. 1976. Histoire de la sexualité I: La volonté de savoir (Paris: Gallimard).
• Millett, Kate. 1972 . Sexual Politics (London: Abacus)
• Mitchell, Juliet. 2000  Feminism and Psychoanalysis (London: Penguin).
• Moi, Toril. 1985. Sexual/Textual Politics (London: Routledge).
• Mottier, Véronique. 2008. Sexuality: A Very Short Introduction (Oxford: OUP).
Barry, Moi and Mottier are the best texts to start off with if you have no prior knowledge in this area.
Blurred lines: the battle of the sexes. BBC programme fronted by Kirsty Wark exploring feminism and electronic media. Highly recommended viewing! Begins about 3 minutes in.
FOUR THOUGHT DISCUSSION PROGRAMME (RADIO 4)
In the 1990s, author Alan Bissett was a lad and women were 'birds'.
In a frank and personal account, Alan talks about why he turned to the work of the late American radical feminist Andrea Dworkin after becoming concerned over his use of internet pornography.
He dissects elements of what he describes as our "sex saturated culture" and argues that men need to start engaging with feminism for the good of all.
Four Thought is a series of talks which combine new ideas and personal stories.
Recorded during the Edinburgh festival, speakers explain their thinking on the trends and ideas in culture and society in front of a live audience.