|Module Code: FR301|
|Module Name: Modern French Language III|
|Module Coordinator: Ariane Demeure|
|Timetable by Group|
|Module Credits: 30|
This module seeks
- to consolidate and develop your ability to write and speak to a theme confidently and at a level of some intellectual sophistication in correct French,
- to consolidate and develop your awareness of the conventions governing different forms of written French and English,
- to consolidate and develop your ability to translate from French to English,
- to develop a detailed knowledge of French grammatical structures.
The module is assessed by three examinations, 2 written and 1 oral and a coursework component.
- FR3011 French Writing examination (2 hours; 30%) - an essay or an opinion piece of about 800 words.
- FR3012 Translation examination (2 hours + reading time ; 30%)
You will be required to translate one text into English and one text into French. One of these translations will be taken from a journalistic text and the other from a literary text.
3. FR3014 Oral examination (20 minutes; 25%)
There are two sequences. In the first sequence, you will be required to present an exposé on a French- or francophone-related topic of your choice, subject to prior approval by the Chair of the Oral Panel, which is then the subject of further discussion with the examiners. In the second sequence, you will have a discussion with the examiners on one of the topics that you will have studied during the year.
Combined Writing and Translation Coursework: 15%
Coursework for Translation= 20% of the translation unit mark = 7.5% of the overall mark for the module.
Coursework for French Writing= 20% of the French writing unit mark = 7.5% of the overall mark for the module.