In addition to the summative assignment that you may be REQUIRED to submit for this module, you have the OPTION to write a formative assignment from the list of questions given below. Please note that formative assignments are for training purposes only and do not count as part of your final degree classification.
We strongly recommend that you submit a formative assignment as it will enable you to hone the skills developed in this module and to prepare for your summative assessment(s).
You may, If you wish, discuss the same text/thinker in a summative assignment as you have discussed in a piece of formative assignment, but you must not reproduce in part or whole any of your formative assignment in your summative assignment.
One coursework (formative) essay (of 2,000 words in length, in English) is recommended for this module; it is not compulsory but is very likely to be beneficial for your learning experience. This should be handed in by 1pm, Monday week 8. Choose one title from the following, or negotiate a different title with Nick:
- Explain the rise or the fall of the Parti communiste français.
- Explain how Mitterrand and the PS achieved presidential and governmental power in 1981.
- Explain how Hollande and the PS achieved presidential and governmental power in 2012.
- Account for the (relatively) strong popularity of Mélenchon in 2017.
- ‘The French trade union movement is divided because trade unions in France are politically committed.’ Discuss.