My research is focused on mass spectrometry based metabolomics and proteomics, their applications in areas including natural product drug discovery, drug metabolism, disease biomarker discovery and environmental analysis.
Groups at Warwick
Department of Chemistry
- 2002-2005, PDRA, Department of Biological Sciences, Essex University
- 2005-2008, PDRA, Department of Chemistry, University of Warwick
- 2013-2014, Head of Clinical Pharmacology Lab, Department of Tropical Medicine, University of Oxford
- 2008-current, Head of Mass spectrometry, Department of Chemistry, University of Warwick
I am working on the following projects at the moment:
Nucleoside decoys - metabolic interference in plant self defence (funded by BBSRC)
- Save the ashes, potential biomarker discovery for ash die back (funded by BBSRC)
- Bioactive natural product discovery from marine actinomycetes (funded by the Royal Society)
- Antimicrobial resistance in the environment and its relationship with pharmaceutical industrial waste (funded by NERC)
My research is focused on mass spectrometry based metabolomics and proteomics, their applications in areas including natural product drug discovery, drug metabolism, disease biomarker discovery and environmental analysis.
1. Bioactive natural product discovery from microorganism and plant, using a combination of liquid chromatography, high resolution high accuracy MS, MS/MS, 1D and 2D NMR techniques, we carry out dereplication, identification, purification and structure elucidation of novel bioactive natural products.
2. Drug mechanism of action and metabolism analysis (ADME, pharmacokinetics), using stable isotope labelled drugs to investigate drug metabolism in both in vitro and in vivo systems, metabolites are identified through high resolution LC-MS/MS profiling, both the original drug and their metabolites can be quantified in MRM mode with triple quadrupole mass spectrometer for pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic evaluation.
3. Disease biomarker discovery and validation (for diagnosis, therapeutic and pharmacodynamics study) using comparative metabolomic and proteomic approach.
4. Environmental analysis of both organic and inorganic pollutants (agrochemicals such as pesticide, herbicides, veterinary antimicrobials, animal growth hormones, their leakage into the environment; human medicine and breakdown products entering the environment from waste water treatment plant) and environment originated antimicrobial resistance.
A. Bayless, S. Chen, S. Ogden, X. Xu, J. Sidda, M. Manik, S. Li, B. Kobe, T. Ve, L. Song, M. Grant, L. Wan, M. Nishimura, Plant and prokaryotic TIR domains generate distinct cyclic ADPR NADase products, Science Advances, 2023, in press, DOI:10.1101/2022.09.19.508566
P. Jacob, J. Hige, L. Song, A. Bayless, D. Russ, V. Bonardi, F. El-Kasmi, L. Wünsch, Y. Yang, C. Fitzpatrick, B. McKinney, M. Nishimura, M. Grant and J. Dangl, Broader functions of TIR domains in Arabidopsis immunity, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2023, 120 (1), e2220921120, DOI 10.1073/pnas.2220921120
C. Huang, D. Zabala, E. Santos, L. Song, C. Corre, L. Alkhalaf, and G. Challis Parallelized gene cluster editing illuminates mechanisms of epoxyketone proteasome inhibitor biosynthesis, Nucleic Acids Research, 2023, DOI.org/10.1093/nar/gkad009
M. Manik, Y. Shi, S. Li, M. Zaydman, N. Damaraju, V. Masic, T. Mosaiab, S. Hancock, E. Vasquez, L. Hartley-Tassell, N. Maruta, B. Lim, W. Gu, H. Burdett, M. Lansdberg, M. Schembri, N. Kargios, I. Prokes, L. Song, M. Grant, A. DiAntonio, J. Nanson, J. Milbrandt, T. Ve and B. Kobe Chemical structures of cyclic ADP ribose (cADPR) isomers and the molecular basis of their production and signalling, Sciences, 2022, DOI: 10.1126/science.adc8969
- F. Wang, I. Prokes, L. Song, H. Shi, P. Sadler, Reactions of cisplatin and oxaliplatin with penicillin G: implications for drug inactivation and biological activity, J. Biol Inorg. Chem., 2022, 27 (8), 695-704
- N. Ashraf, S. Zafar, R. Makitrynskyy, A. Bechthold, D. Spiteller, L. Song, M. Anwar, A. Luzhetskyy, A. Khan, K. Akhtar, S. Khaliq, Revealing genome-based biosynthetic potential of streptomyces sp. BR123 isolated from sunflower rhizophere with broad spectrum antimicrobial activity, Antibiotics, 2022, 11, 1057 (Doi:10.3390/antibiotics11081057)
- F. Chen, I. Romero-Canelón, A. Habtemariam, J. Song, S. Banerjee, G. Clarkson, L. Song, I. Prokes and P. Sadler, Effect of cysteine thiols on the catalytic and anticancer activity of Ru (II) sulfonyl-ethylenediamine complexes, Dalton Transactions, 2022, DOI: 10.1039/D1DT03856G
- J Lim, V. Chintalapudi, H. Gudmundsson, M. Tran, A. Bernasconi, A. Blanco, L. Song, G. Challis, E. Anderson, Synthesis of the C1-C27 fragment of stambomycins D validates modular polyketide synthase-based stereochemical assignments, Org. Lett., 2021, 23, 19, 7439-7444, Doi.org/10.1021/acs.orglett.1c02650
- Borsetto, S. Raguideau, E. Travis, D. Kim, D. Lee, A. Bottrill, R. Stark, L. Song, J. Cha, J. Pearson, C. Quince, A. Singer, E. Wellington, Impact of sulfamethoxazole on a riverine microbiome, Water Research, 2021, 117382, 11, doi.org/10.1101/2021.04.01.438070
- Zhou, H. Bhukya, N. Malet, P. Harrison, D. Rea, M. Belousoff, H. Venugopal, P. Sydor, K. Styles, L. Song, M. Cryle, L. Alkhalaf, V. Fulop, G. Challis, C. Corre, Structural basis for control of antibiotic production by bacterial hormones, Nature, 2021, 590, 463-467, Doi:10.1038/s41586-021-03195x
- Chhun, D. Sousoni, M. Aguilo-Ferretjans, L. Song, C. Corre, J. Christie-Oleza, Phytoplankton trigger the production of cryptic metabolites in the marine actinobacteria Salinispora tropica, Microbio. Biotech, 2020, 14 (1), 291-306, Doi:10.1111/1751-7915.13722
- Sidda, L. Song, J. Parker, D. Studholme, C. Sambles, M. Grant, Diversity of secoiridoid glycosides in leaves of UK and Danish ash provide new insight for ash dieback management, Scientific Rep., 2020, 10(1), 19566, DOI: 10.1038/541598-020-76140-z
- Zhou, N. Malet, L. Song, C. Corre, G. Challis, MmfL catalyses formation of a phosphorylated butenolide intermediate in methylenomycin furan biosynthesis, Chem Comm., 2020, 56(92), 14443-14446, DOI: 10.1039/D0CC05658H
- Zabala, L. Song, Y. Dashti, G. Challis, J. Salas, C, Mendez. Heterologous reconstitution of the biosynthesis pathway for 4-demethyl-premithramycinone, the aglycone of antitumor polyketide mithramycin, Microbial Cell Factory, 2020, 19 (1), 1-12
- Becher, V. Verschut, M. Bibb, M. Bush, B. Molnar, E. Barane, M. Bassam, G. Chandra, L. Song, G. Challis, M. Buttner, K. Flardh. Developmentally regulated volatiles geosmin and 2-methylisoborneol attract springtails to Streptomyces bacteria as vectors for spore dispersal, Nat. Microbiology, 2020, 5, 821-829
- Banks, L. Song, G. Challis, A. Bailey, G. Foster. Bovistol B, bovistol D and strossmayerin: Sesquiterpene metabolites from the culture filtrate of the basidiomycete Coprinopsis strossmayeri, PLoS ONE, 2020, 15(4):e0229925
- S. Zhou, L. Song, J. Masschelein, F. Sumang, I. Papa, T. Zulaybar, A. Custodio, D. Zabala, E. Alcantara, E. de los Santos, G. Challis. Pentamycin Biosynthesis in Philippine Streptomyces sp. S816: Cytochrome P450-Catalyzed Installation of the C‑14 Hydroxyl Group, ACS Chem. Biol., 2019, 14, 1305-1309 (DOI: 10.1021/acschembiol.9b00270)
- Thankachan, A, Fazal, D. Francis, L. Song, M. Webb, R. Seipke, A trans-acting cyclase off-loading strategy for non-ribosomal peptide synthetases, ACS Chem Biol., 2019, 14, 845-849, (DOI:10.1021/acschembio.9b00095)
- Alberti, I. Wilkening, D. Leng, L. Song, C. Corre, A Pipeline for the Discovery of Natural Products from Genetically Intractable Bacteria, Chem Sci., 2019,10, 453-463
- Perry, J. Sargeant, L. Song, G. Challis, Relative stereochemical assignment of C33 and C35 in the antibiotic gladiolin, Tetrahedron, 2018, 74(38), 5150-5155
- Banerjee, J. Soldevila, J. Wolny, C. Wootton, Habtemariam, I. Romero, F. Chen, G. Clarkson, I. Prokes, L. Song, P. O'Connor, V. Schunemann, P. Sadler, New activation mechanism for half-sandwich organometallic anticancer complexes, Chem Sci., 2018, 9, 3177-3188
- Anderson, C. Hobson, R. Needley, L. Song, M. Perryman, P. Kerby, and D. Fox, NMR-based assignment of isoleucine vs allo-isoleucine stereochemistry. Organic & Biomolecular Chemistry 2017, 15, 9372-9378
- Blessborn, K. Kaewkhao, L. Song, NJ White, NPJ Day, J Tarning, Quantification of the antimalarial drug pyronaridine in whole blood using LC-MS/MS-increased sensitivity resulting from reduced non-specific binding, J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2017, 146: 214-219.
- L. Song, M. Jenner, J. Masschelein, C. Jone, S. Harris, C. Paisey, M. Bull, R. Haartknorn, S. Cole, P. Coupland, M. Dunn, R. Weiser, J. Parkhill, E. Mahenthiralingam, G. Challis, Discovery of gladiolin: a novel Burkholderia gladioli macrolide with potent antibiotic activity against Mycobacterium tuberculosis. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2017, 139(23)7974-7981
- Tsypik, R. Makitrynskyy, A. Bera, L. Song, W. Wohlleben, V. Fedorenko, B. Ostash, Role of GntR Family Regulatory Gene SCO1678 in Gluconate Metabolism in Streptomyces coelicolor M145, BioMed Research International, 2017, pp 1-9, DOI.org/10.1155/2017/9529501
- Inahashi, S. Zhou, M. Bibb, L. Song, M. Al-Bassam, M. Bibb and G. Challis. Watasemycin biosynthesis in Streptomyces venezuelae: thiazoline C-methylation by a type B radical-SAM methylase homologue. Chem. Sci. 2017, 8 (4), 2823-2831
- Sotenko, S. Coles, G. Barker, L. Song, Y. Jiang, P. Longhurst, T. Romanova, O. Shuvaeva, K. Kirwan. Phytoremediation combined with biorefinery on the example of two agricultural crops grown on Ni soil and degraded by P. chrysosporium. Int. J. Phytoremediation., 2017 19(11), 965-975, DOI: 10.1080/15226514.2016.1267705
- Ray, T. Valentic, T. Miyazawa, D. Withall, L. Song, H. Osada, S. Takahashi, S. Tsai, G. Challis, Structural basis for acyl-CoA carboxylase-mediated assembly of unusual polyketide synthase extender units incorporated into the stambomycin antibiotics, Nat Comm., 2016, 7, 13609
- A. Thanapipatsiri, J. Gomez-Escribano, L. Song, M. Bibb, M. Al-Bassam, G. Chandra, A. Thamchaipenet, G. Challis and M. Bibb, Discovery of unusual biaryl polyketides by activation of a silent Streptomyces venezuelae biosynthetic gene cluster, ChemBioChem, 2016, 17, 2189-2198
- Zabala, J. Cartwright, D. Roberts, B. Law, L. Song, M. Samborskyy, P. Leadlay, J. Micklefield, and G. Challis. A flavin-dependent decarboxylase-dehydrogenase-monooxygenase assembles the warhead of α, β-epoxyketone proteasome inhibitors. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2016, 137, 432-435
- Wilkening, S. Gazzola, E. Riva, J. Parascandolo, L. Song, M. Tosin. Second-generation probes for biosynthetic intermediate capture: towards a comprehensive profiling of polyketide assembly. Chem. Commun., 2016, 52, 10392-10395
- Sidda, V. Poon, L. Song, W. Wang, K. Yang, C. Corre. Overproduction and identification of butyrolactones SCB1-8 in the antibiotic production super host Streptomyces M1152. Org. Biomol. Chem., 2016, 14(27), 6390-6393
- Parascandolo, J. Havemann, H. Potter, F. Huang, E. Riva, J. Connolly, I. Wilkening, L. Song, P. Leadlay, M. Tosin, Novel insights into 6-methylsalicylic acid bio-assembly via chemical probes, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2016, 55(10), 3463-3467
- Amaratunga, P. Lim, S. Suon, S. Sreng, S. Mao, C. Sopha, B. Sam, D. Dek, V. Try, R. Amato, D. Blessborn, L. Song, G. Tullo, M. Fay, J. Anderson, J. Tarning, R. Fairhurst. Dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine resistance in Plasmodium falciparum malaria in Cambodia: a multi-site observational cohort study, Lancet Infectious Disease, 2016, 16(3), 357-365
- Liu*, L. Song*, M. Liu*, F. Shang, Z. Anderson, D. Fox, G. L. Challis, Y. Huang, Unique post-translational oxime formation in the biosynthesis of the azolemycin complex of novel ribosomal peptides from Streptomyces sp. FXJ1.264, Chem. Sci., 2016, 7(1), 482-488 (* Co-first author)
- Uytterhoeven, K. Appermans, L. Song, J. Masschelein, C. Michiels, R. Lavigne, Systematic analysis of the kalimantacin assembly line NRPS module using an adapted targeted mutagenesis approach, Microbiology Open, 2016, 5(2), 279-286
- Leang, W. Taylor, D. Bouth, L. Song, J. Tarning, M. Char, S. Kim, B. Witkowski, V. Duru, A. Domergue, N. Khim, P. Ringwald, D. Menard, Evidence of falciparum malaria multidrug resistance to artemisinin and piperaquine in western Cambodia: dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine open-label multicenter clinical assessment. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2015, 59(8), 4719-4726
- Gubbens, H. Zhu, G. Girard, L. Song, B. Florea, P. Aston, K. Ichinose, D. Filippov, Y. Choi, H. Overkleeft, G. Challis, G. van Wezel, Natural Product Proteomining, a Quantitative proteomics platform, allows rapid discovery of biosynthetic gene clusters for different classes of natural products. Chem. Biol. 2014, 21(6), 707-718
- Song, L. Laureti, C. Corre, P. Leblond, B. Agile, G. L. Challis. Cytochrome P450-mediated hydroxylation is required for polyketide macrolactonisation in stambomycin biosynthesis. J. Antibiotic, 2014, 67, 71-76
- Sidda, L. Song, V. Poon, M. Al-Bassam, O. Lazos, M. Buttner, G. Challis, C. Corre. Discovery of a family of γ-aminobutyrate ureas via rational derepression of a silent bacterial gene cluster, Chem. Sci,, 2014, 5 (1), 86-89
- Suberu, P. Yamin, K. Leonhard, L. Song, S. Chemat, N. Sullivan, G. Barker, A. Lapkin . The effect of O-methylated flavonoids and other co-metabolites on the crystallization and purification of artemisinin. J. Biotechnol., 2014, 171, 25-33
- Suberu, L. Song, S. Slade, N. Sullivan, G. Barker, A. Lapkin, A rapid method for the determination of artemisinin and its biosynthetic precursor in Artemisia annua L. crude extract. J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal. 2013, 84, 269-277
- Kodani, J. Bicz, L. Song, R. Deeth, M. Ohnish-Kameyama,M. Yoshida, K. Ochi, and G. Challis. Structure and biosynthesis of scabichelin, a novel tris-hydroxamate siderophore produced by the plant pathogen Streptomyces scabies 87.22. Org. Biomol. Chem., 2013, 11, 4686-4694
- Zhao, J Woods, N. Farrer, K. Robinson, J. Pracharova, J. Kasparkova, O. Nokakova, H. Li, L. Salassa, A. Pizarro, G. Clarkson, L. Song, V. Brabec, P. Sadler, Diazido mixed-amine platinum(IV) anticancer complexes activatable by visible light form novel DNA adducts, Chem. Eur. J., 2013, 19(29), 9578-9591
- Gomez-Escribano*, L. Song*, M. Bibb, G. Challis, Posttranslational β-methylation and macrolactamidination in the biosynthesis of the bottromycin complex of ribosomal peptide antibiotics, Chem. Sci, 2012, 3, 3522-3525. (* co-first author)
- Barry, J. Kers, E. Johnson, L. Song, P. Aston, B. Patel, S. Krasnoff, B. Crane, D. Gibson, R. Loria and G. Challis. Cytochrome P450–catalyzed L-tryptophan nitration in thaxtomin phytotoxin biosynthesis. Nat. Chem. Biol. 2012, 8, 814-816.
- Gerc*, Song*, G. Challis, N. Stanley-Wall, S. Coulthurst, Identification and characterisation of the althiomycin biosynthetic operon of Serratia marcescens Db10, PLoS ONE, 2012, 7(9), e44673 (* Co-first Author).
- Gomez-Escribano*, L. Song*, D.Fox, M. Bibb, G. Challis, Identification of the yellow-pigmented polyketide product of the cryptic cpk gene cluster of Streptomyces coelicolor M145, Chem. Sci, 2012,3(9), 2716-2720. (* co-first author)
- Lautru, L. Song, L. Demange, H. Galons, G. L. Challis and Jean-Luc Pernodet. A Sweet Origin for the Key Congocidine Precursor 4-Acetamidopyrrole-2-carboxylate. Angew. Chem Int. Ed. 2012, 51(30), 7454-7458
- Fu, M. Romero, A. Habtemariam, M. Snowden, L. Song, G. Clarkson, B. Qamar, A. Pizarro, P. Unwin and P. Sadler, The Contrasting Chemical Reactivity of Potent Isoelectronic Iminopyridine and Azopyridine Osmium(II) Arene Anticancer Complexes, Chem. Sci, 2012, 3 (8), 2485 - 2494
- Milnes, M. McKee, J. Bath, L. Song , E. Stulz, A. Turberfield and R. O'Reilly, Sequence- specific synthesis of macromolecules using DNA-templated chemistry, Chem Comm, 2012, 48,5614-5616
- Song, L. Laureti, J.-P. Gomez-Escribano, D. Fox, V. Yeo, C. Corre, S. Huang, P. Leblond, B. Aigle, M. Bibb and G. L. Challis. Bacterial Genome Mining for Novel Natural Product Discovery. Planta Med. 2012, 78, 1030.
- Schmelz, C.H. Botting, L. Song, N. Kadi, G.L. Challis and J.H. Naismith. Structural basis for acyl acceptor specificity in the achrombactin biosynthetic enzyme AcsD. J. Mol. Biol. 2011, 412 (3)495-504
- Seipke, L. Song, J. Bic, P. Laskaris, A. Yaxley, G. L. Challis, R. Loria, Expression of a pyochelin biosynthetic gene cluster in Streptomyces scabies 87022 is regulated by TetR- and AfsR- family regulatory proteins. Microbiology. 2011, 157, 2681-2693
- Laureti*, L. Song*, S. Huang, C. Corre, P. Leblond, G.L. Challis and B. Aigle. A new class of bioactive macrolide discovered by activation of a silent polyketide synthase. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA. 2011,108(15), 6258-6263 , (*co-first author)
- Mahenthiralingam, L. Song, A. Sass, J. White, C. Wilmot, A. Marchbank, O. Boaisha, J. Paine, D. Knight, G. L. Challis, Enacyloxins are products of an unusual hybrid modular polyketide synthase encoded by a cryptic Burkholderia ambifaria genomic island. Chem. Biol. 2011, 18(5), 665-677
- Bunet, L. Song, M. V. Mendrea, C. Corre, L. Hotel, N. Rouhler, X. Framboisier, P Leblond, G. L. Challis, B. Aigle. Characterisation and manipulation of the pathway specific regulator AlpW reveals Streptomyces ambofaciens a new producer of kinamycins. J. Bacteriol. 2011, 195, 1142-1153
- Sydor, S. Barry, O. Odulate, F. Barona-Gomez, S. Haynes, C. Corre, L. Song, G.L. Challis, Antibiotic Oxidative Carbocyclizations Catalyzed by Rieske Oxygenase-Like Enzymes, Nat. Chem., 2011, 3, 388-392
- Haynes, P. Sydor, C. Corre, L. Song, and G.L. Challis. Stereochemical elucidation of streptorubin B. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2011, 133 (6), 1793-1798
- Aigle, R. Bunet, C. Corre,; A. Garenaux, L. Hotel, S. Huang, L. Laureti, S. Lautru, M. Mendes, S. Nezbedova, H. Nguyen, L. Song, J. Weiser, G. Challis, P. Leblond, J.Pernodet. Genome-guided exploration of Streptomyces ambofaciens secondary metabolism. Streptomyces, 2011, 179-194.
- Patel, L Song, G.L.Challis, Distinct extracytoplasmic siderophore binding proteins recognise ferrioxamines and ferricoelichelin in Streptomyces Coelicolor A3(2), Biochemistry, 2010, 49, 8033-8042
- Chen, J. Scanlan, L Song, A. Crombie, M. Rahman, H. Schafer, C. Murrell, γ-glutamylmethylamide is essential in the metabolism of methylamine by Methylocella silvestris BL2. Appl. Environ Microbiol. 2010, 76(3), 4530-4537
- Corre, S. Haynes, N. Malet, L. Song and G. Challis, A butenolide intermediate in methylenomycin furan biosynthesis is implied by incorporation of stereospecifically 13C-labelled glycerols, Chem. Commun. 2010, 46, 4079-4081
- Oves-Costales, L. Song and G.L. Challis. Enantioselective desymmetrisation of citric acid catalysed by the substrate-tolerant petrobactin biosynthetic enzyme AsbA. Chem. Commun. 2009, 1389-1391.
- Schmelz, N. Kadi, S. McMahon, L. Song, D. Oves-Costales, M. Oke, H. Liu, K. Johnson, L.G. Carter, C.H. Botting, M.F. White, G.L. Challis and J.H. Naismith, AcsD catalyzes enantioselective citrate desymmetrization in siderophore biosynthesis. Nat. Chem. Biol. 2009, 5, 174-182.
- Corre, L. Song, S. O'Rourke, K. F. Chater and G. L. Challis. 2-Alkyl-4-hydroxymethylfuran-3-carboxylic acids, antibiotic production inducers discovered by Streptomyces coelicolor genome mining. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 2008, 105, 17510-17515.
- Kadi, L. Song and G. L. Challis. Bisucaberin biosynthesis: An adenylating domain of the BibC multi-enzyme catalyzes cyclodimerization of N-hydroxy-N-succinylcadaverine. Chem. Commun. 2008, 5119-5121.
- Mitchell, M.T.G. Holden, J. Parkhill, L. Song, G.L. Challis, C. Robinson, N. Davis-Poynter and A.S. Waller. A novel streptococcal integrative conjugative element involved in iron acquisition. Mol. Microbiol. 2008, 70, 1274-1292.
- Oves-Costales, N. Kadi, M.J. Fogg, L. Song, K.S. Wilson and G.L. Challis. Petrobactin biosynthesis: AsbB catalyses ATP-dependent condensation of spermidine with N8-citryl-spermidine and its N1-(3, 4-dihydroxybenzyl) derivative. Chem. Commun. 2008, 4034-4036.
- Kadi, S. Arbache, L. Song, D. Oves-Costales and G.L. Challis. Identification of a gene cluster that directs putrebactin biosynthesis in Shewanella species: PubC catalyzes ATP-dependent cyclodimerization of N-hydroxy-N-succinyl-putrescine. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2008, 130, 10458-10459.
- Haynes, P. Sydor, A. Stanley, L. Song and G.L. Challis. Role and substrate specificity of the Streptomyces coelicolor RedH enzyme in undecylprodiginine biosynthesis. Chem. Commun. 2008, 1865-1867.
- Mo, P. Sydor, C. Corre, M. Alhamadsheh, A. Stanley, S. Haynes, L. Song, K.A. Reynolds and G.L. Challis. Elucidation of the Streptomyces coelicolor pathway to 2-undecylpyrrole, a key intermediate in undecylprodiginine and streptorubin B biosynthesis. Chem. Biol. 2008, 15, 137-148.
- Oves-Costales, N. Kadi, M. Fogg, L. Song, K. Wilson, G.L. Challis, Enzymatic logic of anthrax stealth siderophore biosynthesis: AsbA catalyzes ATP-dependant condensation of citric acid and spermidine, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2007, 129, 6017-6018
- L. Song and P. Thornalley, Effects of storage, cooking and processing on glucosinolates and related metabolites in Brassica vegetables, Food and Chem. Toxicl., 2007, 45, 216-224
- L. Song, F. Barona-Gomez, C. Corre, L. Xiang, D. W. Udwary, M. Austin, J. P. Noel, B. S. Moore and G. L. Challis, Type III polyketide synthase extender unit specificity in germicidin biosynthesis discovered by Streptomyces coelicolor genome mining, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2006, 128, 14754-14755
- Dobler, N. Ahmad, L. Song, K. Eboigbodin, P. Thornalley, Increased dicarbonyl metabolism in endothelial cells in hyperglycemia induces anoikis and impairs angiogenesis by RGD and GFOGER motif modification, Diabetes, 2006, 55, 1961-1969
- L. Song, R. Iori, P. Thornalley, Purification of major glucosinolates from Brassicaceae seeds and preparation of isothiocyanates and amine metabolites, J. Sci. Food and Agriculture. 2006, 86, 1271-1280
- L. Song, J. Morrison, N. Botting, P. Thornalley, Analysis of glucosinolates, isothiocyanates and amines degradation products in vegetable extracts and blood plasma by LC-MS/MS, Analytical Biochemistry, 2005, 347, 234-243
- McWalter, L. Higgins, L, McLellan, C. Henderson, L. Song, P. Thornalley, K. Itoh, M. Yamamoto, J. Hayes. Transcription factor Nrf2 is essential for induction of NAD(P)H:quinone oxidoreductase 1, glutathione S-transferase, and glutathione cysteine ligase by broccoli seeds and isothiocyanates, J. Nutrition, 2004, 134, 3499s-3506s
I teach year 2 Biochemistry student, Module LF219 (Tools for Biological Discovery) and various of master class for MIBTP students on Analytical Chemistry
I am supervising the following PhD students:
- Lobna Hudifa, Bioactive natural product discovery using metagenomic approach (with Prof Liz Wellington)
- Nazia Auckloo, High throughput approach for novel antibiotic discovery from bacterium (with Dr Chris Corre)
Nestoras Kargios, MIBTP PhD student studying a novel concept of nucleoside decoys in plant immunity (with Prof Murray Grant).
- Sophie Jin, Elucidating the biosynthesis of meroterpenoids in fungi using heterologous expression systems (with Dr Fabrizio Alberti)
- If you are interested in a PhD position, please contact me for more details.