Understanding of enzyme-catalysed reactions, using a combination of the following techniques: synthesis of enzymatic substrates and inhibitors, isotope labeling experiments, enzyme purification, and enzyme kinetics. Major areas of interest are enzymes involved in the bacterial degradation of lignin and aromatic compounds, and enzymes involved in bacterial cell wall peptidoglycan biosynthesis, as targets for the development of novel antibacterial agents.
Groups at Warwick
- Warwick Centre for Industrial Biotechnology and Biorefining https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/wcibb
- 1986-1989 PhD research, University of Cambridge (supervisor Dr Chris Abell)
- 1989-1991 SERC/NATO postdoctoral fellowship, Harvard Medical School, Boston MA (group of Prof. Chris Walsh)
- 1991-1999 Lecturer in Organic Chemistry, University of Southampton
- 1999-present Professor of Biological Chemistry, University of Warwick