Dr Reyes Garcia
Assistant Professor in Structural Engineering
Reyes Garcia is an Assistant Professor in Structural Engineering at the University of Warwick (UK). He obtained his 5-year Degree in Civil Engineering (Graduated with Honours) from the University of Michoacan (Mexico), his MSc in Earthquake Engineering and Engineering Seismology from the ROSE School (Italy) and University Joseph Fourier of Grenoble I (France), and his PhD from The University of Sheffield (UK).
Reyes has 20+ years of research/consultancy experience in the fields of earthquake engineering, structural concrete & FRP composites for construction. He has been heavily involved in management and coordination of multi-partner EU and Research Council-funded projects in excess of £10M. He has designed/coordinated large-scale shake table tests in large scale facilities in Europe (CEA Saclay, France; Iasi, Romania).
He has published more than 60 articles, papers and book chapters. He has contributed actively to the UK TG tasks for Eurocode 8-3, and he is a member of the fib TG 5.1 "FRP Reinforcement for Concrete Structures", and of COST Action TU1207 "Next Generation Guidelines for Composite Reinforcements". He regularly reviews research grant proposals for national research councils of Europe, Asia and Latin America, as well as manuscripts for more than 20 international journals.
He is Associate Editor of the ICE's journal Structures and Buildings. He has been member of committees, keynote speaker and chair in various international conferences in Latin America and Asia. He is also Visiting Professor at Walailak University, Thailand.
- Structural and sustainable concretes,
- Rubberised concrete,
- FRP composites for construction,
- Seismic retrofitting/strengthening of RC buildings,
- New strengthening materials,
- Earthquake engineering and seismic risk,
- Humanitarian Engineering (construction, refugee shelters, GIS).
- Civil Engineering Materials and Structural Analysis
- Concrete Structures
- Advanced Structural Engineering
- Earthquake Resilient Structures
- Wattanapanich, C., Imjai, T,, Aosai, P., Hansapinyo, C., Figueiredo, F.P., Garcia, R.. 2022. Thermal Analysis of a Raft Concrete Foundation: A Case Study of a Leaking Ethane TankLink opens in a new window. Buildings. 12(7):889.
- Imjai, T., Setkit, M., Figueiredo, F.P., Garcia, R., Sae-Long, W. and Limkatanyu, S., 2022. Experimental and numerical investigation on low-strength RC beams strengthened with side or bottom near surface mounted FRP rodsLink opens in a new window. Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, pp.1-16.
- Markou, G., Garcia, R., Mourlas, C., Guadagnini, M., Pilakoutas, K. and Papadrakakis, M., 2021. A new damage factor for seismic assessment of deficient bare and FRP-retrofitted RC structuresLink opens in a new window. Engineering Structures, 248, 113152.
- Setkit, M., Leelatanon, S., Imjai, T., Garcia, R. and Limkatanyu, S., 2021. Prediction of Shear Strength of Reinforced Recycled Aggregate Concrete Beams without Stirrups. Buildings, 11(9), 402.
- Mohsenian, V., Filizadeh, R., Hajirasouliha, I., Garcia, R., 2021. Seismic performance assessment of eccentrically braced steel frames with energy-absorbing links under sequential earthquakes. Journal of Building Engineering, 33, 101576.
- Sianko, I., Ozdemir, Z., Khoshkholghi, S., Garcia, R., Hajirasouliha, I., Yazgan, U., Pilakoutas, K., 2020. A practical probabilistic earthquake hazard analysis tool : case study Marmara region. Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering, 18, 2523–2555.
- Imjai, T., Garcia, R., Guadagnini, M., Pilakoutas, K., 2020. Strength degradation in curved fiber-reinforced polymer (FRP) bars used as concrete reinforcements. Polymers, 12(8), 1653.
- Imjai, T., Thinsurat, K., Ditthakit, P., Wipulanusat, W., Setkit, M., Garcia, R., 2020. Performance study of an integrated solar water supply system for isolated agricultural areas in Thailand : a case-study of the Royal Initiative Project. Water, 12(9), 2438.
- Imjai, T., Setkit, M., Garcia, R., Figueiredo, F.P., 2020. Strengthening of damaged low strength concrete beams using PTMS or NSM techniques. Case Studies in Construction Materials, 13, e00403.
- Imjai, T., Guadagnini, M., Pilakoutas, K., Garcia, R., Sukontasukkul, P., Limkatanyu, S., 2020. A practical macro-mechanical model for the bend capacity of fibre-reinforced polymer bars. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers - Structures and Buildings, pp. 1-28
- Huang, H., Garcia, R., Huang, S.-S., Guadagnini, M., Pilakoutas, K., 2019. A practical creep model for concrete elements under eccentric compression. Materials and Structures, 52(6).
- Raffoul, S., Escolano-Margarit, D., Garcia, R., Guadagnini, M., Pilakoutas, K., 2019. Constitutive model for rubberized concrete passively confined with FRP laminates. Journal of Composites for Construction, 23(6), 04019044.
- Alsaif, A., Garcia, R., Figueiredo, F.P., Neocleous, K. et al., 2019. Fatigue performance of flexible steel fibre reinforced rubberised concrete pavements. Engineering Structures, 193, pp. 170-183
- Ma, C.K., Garcia, R., Yung, S.C.S., Awang, A.Z., Omar, W., Pilakoutas, K., 2019. Strengthening of pre-damaged HSC columns using post-tensioned steel straps. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers-Structures and Buildings, 172 (10), pp. 703-711
- Flores Medina, N., Garcia, R., Hajirasouliha, I., Pilakoutas, K., Guadagnini, M., Raffoul, S., 2018. Composites with recycled rubber aggregates : properties and opportunities in construction. Construction and Building Materials, 188, pp. 884-897
- Khan, S.A., Pilakoutas, K., Hajirasouliha, I., Garcia, R., Guadagnini, M., 2018. Seismic risk assessment for developing countries : Pakistan as a case study. Earthquake Engineering and Engineering Vibration, 17 (4), pp. 787-804
- Raffoul, S., Garcia, R., Escolano-Margarit, D., Guadagnini, M., Hajirasouliha, I., Pilakoutas, K., 2017. Behaviour of unconfined and FRP-confined rubberised concrete in axial compression. Construction and Building Materials, 147, pp. 388-397
- Garcia, R., Pilakoutas, K., Hajirasouliha, I., Guadagnini, M, Kyriakides, N., Ciupala, M.A., 2017. Seismic retrofitting of RC buildings using CFRP and post-tensioned metal straps : shake table tests. Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering, 15 (8), pp. 3321-3347
- Imjai, T., Guadagnini, M., Garcia, R., Pilakoutas, K., 2016. A practical method for determining shear crack induced deformation in FRP RC beams. Engineering Structures, 126, pp. 353-364
- Pesic, N., Zivanovic, S., Garcia, R., Papastergiou, P., 2016. Mechanical properties of concrete reinforced with recycled HDPE plastic fibres. Construction and Building Materials, 115, pp. 362-370
- Helal, Y., Garcia, R., Pilakoutas, K., Guadagnini, M., Hajirasouliha, I., 2016. Bond of substandard laps in reinforced concrete beams retrofitted with post-tensioned metal straps. ACI Structural Journal, 113 (6), pp. 1197-1208
- Garcia, R., Guadagnini, M., Pilakoutas, K., Pech Poot, L.A., 2016. FRP strengthening of substandard lap-spliced RC members : a comprehensive survey. Advances in Structural Engineering, 20 (6), pp. 976-1001
- Raffoul, S., Garcia, R., Pilakoutas, K., Guadagnini, M., Flores Medina, N., 2016. Optimisation of rubberised concrete with high rubber content : an experimental investigation. Construction and Building Materials, 124, pp. 391-404
- Ma, C.K., Awang, A.Z., Garcia, R., Omar, W., Pilakoutas, K., 2016. Behaviour of over-reinforced high-strength concrete beams confined with post-tensioned steel straps ? an experimental investigation. Structural Concrete, 17 (5), pp. 768-777
- Garcia, R., Hajirasouliha, I., Guadagnini, M., Helal, Y., Jemaa, Y., et al., 2014. Full-scale shaking table tests on a substandard RC building repaired and strengthened with post-tensioned metal straps. Journal of Earthquake Engineering, 18 (2), pp. 187-213
- Garcia, R., Jemaa, Y., Helal, Y., Guadagnini, M., Pilakoutas, K., 2014. Seismic strengthening of severely damaged beam-column RC joints using CFRP. Journal of Composites for Construction, 18 (2)
- Garcia, R., Sullivan, T.J., Della Corte, G., 2010. Development of a displacement based design method for steel frame-RC wall buildings. Journal of Earthquake Engineering, 14 (2), pp. 252-277
- Garcia, R., Hajirasouliha, I., Pilakoutas, K., 2010. Seismic behaviour of deficient RC frames strengthened with CFRP composites. Engineering Structures, 32 (10), pp. 3075-3085
- Zaidi, Z., Garcia, R., 2022. Rethinking Refugee Camps: Reconsiderations for A New Age. In: Modern Challenges and Approaches to Humanitarian Engineering, Koumpouros, Y., Georgoulas, A. and Kremmyda, G. Eds., DOI: 10.4018/978-1-7998-9190-1.ch009.