Always interested in Science, I undertook a 5-year BSc (Chemistry and Biochemistry) at the University of Zaragoza, Spain including a 9 month research placement studying algal growth in photoheterotrophic conditions. I combined my university studies with a waitress job and also joined the University's Science-careers newspaper and joined the student's union.
I then completed a 1-year MSc in Molecular and Cellular Biology with a full year lab project on fatty acid biosynthesis in plants. I also combined these studies and practicals with a job at a cinema.
I did a PhD in Plant lipid Biochemistry, at EEAD-CSIC (National Research Council) in Zaragoza, Spain. My PhD research focused on the characterisation of fatty acid desaturation in soybean and Arabidopsis and the link with jasmonic acid biosynthesis.
I joined the University of Warwick in 2014 and currently work as a Teaching and Research Fellow. My research focuses in the area of plant-microbe interactions and sustainable agriculture and I supervise work for PhD, Masters, summer and Y3 student projects. As a teaching fellow, I am a personal tutor for Y1, Y2, and Y3 students, covering both academic and pastoral tutorials. I am also involved in the delivery of Y1 labs and I too deliver Y1 lectures as well as asses learning through exams. I am also an Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and now a mentor for 16-18 year olds in care that want to access University.
DPhil, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, EEAD-CSIC and University of Zaragoza, 2014.
MSc Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Zaragoza, 2008.
BSc Biochemistry [5yr; 3yr chemistry+ 2yr Biochemistry], University of Zaragoza, 2007.
Member, Society for Experimental Biology, Early Career Scientist
- 'Richmond, Bethany L., 'Coelho, Chloe L., 'Wilkinson, Helen, 'McKenna, Joseph F., 'Ratchinski, P?lagie, 'Schwarze, Maximillian, 'Frost, Matthew, 'Lagunas, Beatriz, 'Gifford, Miriam L., 2022. 'Elucidating connections between the strigolactone biosynthesis pathway, flavonoid production and root system architecture in Arabidopsis thaliana. Physiologia Plantarum, 174 (2)
- 'Achom, Mingkee, 'Roy, Proyash, 'Lagunas, Beatriz, 'Picot, Emma, 'Richards, L., 'Bonyadi-Pour, Roxanna, 'Pardal , Alonso Javier, 'Baxter, Laura, 'Richmond, Bethany L., 'Aschauer, N., 'Fletcher, E., 'Rowson, M., 'Blackwell, J., 'Rich-Griffin, C., 'Mysore, K. S., 'Wen, J., 'Ott, Sascha, 'Carr?, Isabelle A., 'Gifford, Miriam L., 2022. 'Plant circadian clock control of Medicago truncatula nodulation via regulation of Nodule Cysteine-Rich peptides. Journal of Experimental Botany, 73 (5), pp. 2142-2156
- Baxter, Laura, Roy, Proyash, Picot, Emma, Watts, Jess, Jones, Alexandra M., Wilkinson, Helen, Schäfer, Patrick, Gifford, Miriam L., Lagunas, Beatriz, 2021. Comparative genomics across three ensifer species using a new complete genome sequence of the Medicago symbiont Sinorhizobium (Ensifer) meliloti WSM1022. Microorganisms, 9 (12)
- Walker, Liam, Lagunas, Beatriz, Gifford, Miriam L., 2020. Determinants of host range specificity in Legume-Rhizobia symbiosis. Frontiers in Microbiology, 11
- Roy, Proyash, Achom, Mingkee, Wilkinson, Helen, Lagunas, Beatriz, Gifford, Miriam L., 2020. Symbiotic outcome modified by the diversification from 7 to over 700 nodule specific cysteine rich peptides. Genes, 11 (4)
- Lagunas, Beatriz, Achom, Mingkee, Bonyadi-Pour, Roxanna, Pardal , Alonso Javier, Richmond, Bethany L., Sergaki, Chrysi, Vázquez, Saúl, Schäfer, Patrick, Ott, Sascha, Hammond, John, Gifford, Miriam L., 2019. Regulation of resource partitioning coordinates nitrogen and rhizobia responses and autoregulation of nodulation in the legume Medicago truncatula. Molecular Plant, 12 (6), pp. 833-846
- Lagunas, Beatriz, Achom, Mingkee, Bonyadi-Pour, Roxanna, Pardal, Alonso J., Richmond, Bethany L., Sergaki, Chrysi, Vázquez, Saúl, Schäfer, Patrick, Ott, Sascha, Hammond, John, Gifford, Miriam L., 2019. Regulation of Resource Partitioning Coordinates Nitrogen and Rhizobia Responses and Autoregulation of Nodulation in Medicago truncatula. Molecular Plant Pathology, 12 (6), pp. 833-846
- Soria-García, Ángel, Rubio, Maria C., Lagunas, Beatriz, López-Gomollón, Sara, Lujan, María de los Ángeles, Díaz-Guerra, Raúl, Picorel, Rafael, Alfonso, Miguel, 2019. Tissue distribution and specific contribution of Arabidopsis FAD7 and FAD8 plastid desaturases to the JA- and ABA-mediated cold stress or defense responses. Plant and Cell Physiology, 60 (5), pp. 1025-1040
- Lagunas, Beatriz, Dodd, Ian C., Gifford, Miriam L., 2019. A ?nodemap' to sustainable maize roots : linking nitrogen and water uptake improvements. Journal of Experimental Botany, 70 (19), pp. 5036-5039
- Sergaki, Chrysi, Lagunas, Beatriz, Lidbury, Ian, Gifford, Miriam L., Schäfer, Patrick, 2018. Challenges and approaches in microbiome research : from fundamental to applied. Frontiers in Plant Science, 9
- Lagunas, B., Schäfer, Patrick, Gifford, Miriam L., 2015. Housing helpful invaders : the evolutionary and molecular architecture underlying plant root-mutualist microbe interactions. Journal of Experimental Botany, 66 (8), pp. 2177-2186
- Román, Ángela, Hernández, María L., Soria-García, Ángel, López-Gomollón, Sara, Lagunas, Beatriz, Picorel, Rafael, Martínez-Rivas, José Manuel, Alfonso, Miguel, 2015. Non-redundant contribution of the plastidial FAD8 ?-3 desaturase to glycerolipid unsaturation at different temperatures in arabidopsis. Molecular Plant - Microbe Interactions, 8 (11), pp. 1599-1611
- Lagunas, Beatriz, Román, Ángela, Andreu, Vanesa, Picorel, Rafael, Alfonso, Miguel, 2013. A temporal regulatory mechanism controls the different contribution of endoplasmic reticulum and plastidial ?-3 desaturases to trienoic fatty acid content during leaf development in soybean (Glycine max cv Volania). Phytochemistry, 95, pp. 158-167
- Roman, A., Andreu, V., Hernandez, M. L., Lagunas, B., Picorel, R., Martinez-Rivas, J. M., Alfonso, M., 2012. Contribution of the different omega-3 fatty acid desaturase genes to the cold response in soybean. Journal of Experimental Botany, 63 (13), pp. 4973-4982
- Andreu, V., Lagunas, B., Collados, R., Picorel, R., Alfonso, M., 2001. The GmFAD7 gene family from soybean : identification of novel genes and tissue-specific conformations of the FAD7 enzyme involved in desaturase activity. Journal of Experimental Botany, 61 (12), pp. 3371-3384
- Lagunas, Beatriz, Walker, Liam, Hussain, Rana Muhammad Fraz, Hands-Portman, Ian, Woolley-Allen, Kate, Gifford, Miriam L., 2018. Histological profiling over time to optimize root cell type-specific reporter lines for cell sorting. In Ristova D., Barbez E. (ed.), Root Development, New York, NY, Humana Press, pp. 165-175
- 'Chowdhury, Soumitra Paul, 'Kredics, L?szl?, 'Asiegbu, Fred O., 'Lagunas, Beatriz, 'Schikora, Adam, 2021. 'Editorial : multilateral interactions in the Rhizosphere. Frontiers in Microbiology, Frontiers Research Foundation