- My research interests focus on the genetic analysis of crop traits. Since joining Warwick the majority of my work has been on vegetable Brassicas and oilseed rape, but I also work on lettuce, onion and parsnip. A key underpinning component of my work is the development and curation of genetic resources, particularly diversity sets (DFFSs) and segregating mapping populations, which are distributed to users around the world. These resources are charactersised using a combination of genetic markers (e.g. KASP and Infinium) and next generation sequencing and for a range of traits.
- I have worked on the UK Defra Oilseed Rape Genetic Improvement Network (OREGIN) since it started in 2003 and have been PI of the Warwick component since 2010. Development/curation of oilseed rape genetic resources. Traits include nitrogen use efficiency.
- I have worked on the Defra Vegetable Genetic Improvement Network (VeGIN) and the preceding Crop Improvement of Field Vegetables project. Development/curation of B. oleracea, wild C genome Brassica and lettuce genetic resources. Traits include nitrogen use efficiency, insect pest-crop interactions.
- I am a Co-I of the BBSRC CIRC project 'Exploiting sources of resistance to Turnip yellows virus for deployment in oilseed rape' led by John Walsh.
- I am a Co-I of the BBSRC CIRC project 'Genetic Manipulation of rhizodeposition in oilseed rape to improve yield' led by Gary Bending.
- I am a Co-I of the BBSRC HAPI project 'Exploiting next generation sequencing technologies to understand pathogenicity and resistance in Fusarium oxysporum' led by John Clarkson.
- I am Co-I of the BBSRC SARISA project 'Roots of Decline? Assembly and function of the rhizosphere microbiome in relation to yield decline' led by Gary Bending.
- Additional current research activities encompass pathology and mineral use efficiency.
- Other recent research projects include the 'Breeding oilseed rape with a reduced requirement for nitrogen fertiliser' (Defra LINK), 'Developing tools for growers and breeders to enable the predictable manipulation of flowering' (the genetic control of juvenility) (Defra), 'Adding Value to the UK Brassica crop science community (AdVaB)' (BBSRC) and the regulation of cauliflower and broccoli developmental arrest (CASE studentship).
Other activities include:
- Member of the steering committee for the BBSRC Crop Improvement Research Club.
- Member of the R&D Working Party of the British Society of Plant Breeders representing Warwick Crop Centre.
- Elected representative for the UK Brassica Research Community (UK-BRC) to the wider plant science community - 2014 to 2017. This includes representation of the UK-BRC to the UKPSF
- Manager of the UKBRC website and the JISCMail UKBRASSICA mailing group
I graduated from the University of Bristol with a degree in biochemistry. This was followed by a PhD and postdoc working on chlorophyll biosysnthesis also at Bristol. A subsequent position at the University of Virginia on plant circadian regulation was followed by another at the University of Leeds characterising plant GATA transcription factors. I joined Horticulture Research International in 1998 and in 2010 I became one of the founding members of the Warwick Crop Centre.
- Hilton, Sally, Picot, Emma, Schreiter, Susanne, Bass, David, Norman, Keith, Oliver, Anna E., Moore, Jonathan D., Mauchline, Tim H., Mills, Peter R., Teakle, Graham R., Clark, Ian. M., Hirsch, Penny. R., van der Gast, Christopher J., Bending, G. D., 2021. Identification of microbial signatures linked to oilseed rape yield decline at the landscape scale. Microbiome, 9
- Hackenberg, Dieter, Asare-Bediako, Elvis, Baker, Adam R., Walley, Peter Glen, Jenner, Carol E., Greer, Shannon, Bramham, Lawrence, Batley, Jacqueline, Edwards, David, Delourme, Regine, Barker, Guy C., Teakle, Graham R., Walsh, John A., 2020. Identification and QTL mapping of resistance to Turnip yellows virus (TuYV) in oilseed rape, Brassica napus. Theoretical and Applied Genetics, 133 (2), pp. 383-393
- Woolley, Victoria C., Teakle, Graham R., Prince, Gillian, de Moor, C. H., Chandler, Dave, 2020. Cordycepin, a metabolite of Cordyceps militaris, reduces immune-related gene expression in insects. Journal of Invertebrate Pathology
- An, Hong, Qi, Xinshuai, Gaynor, Michelle L., Hao, Yue, Gebken, Sarah C., Mabry, Makenzie E., McAlvay, Alex C., Teakle, Graham R., Conant, Gavin C., Barker, Michael S., Fu, Tingdong, Yi, Bin, Pires, J. Chris, 2019. Transcriptome and organellar sequencing highlights the complex origin and diversification of allotetraploid Brassica napus. Nature Communications, 10 (1)
- Taylor, Andrew, Teakle, Graham R., Walley, Peter G., Finch-Savage, William E., Jackson, Alison C., Jones, Julie, Hand, Paul, Thomas, Brian, Havey, Michael J., Pink, David A. C., Clarkson, John P., 2019. Assembly and characterisation of a unique onion diversity set identifies resistance to Fusarium basal rot and improved seedling vigour. Theoretical and Applied Genetics, 132 (12), pp. 3245-3264
- Beacham, Andrew M, Hand, Paul, Barker, Guy C., Denby, Katherine J, Teakle, Graham R., Walley, Peter G, Monaghan, James M, 2018. Addressing the threat of climate change to agriculture requires improving crop resilience to short-term abiotic stress. Outlook on Agriculture, 47 (4), pp. 270-276
- Bennett, Emma, Brignell, Christopher, Carion, Pierre, Cook, Samantha, Eastmond, Peter, Teakle, Graham R., Hammond, John, Love, Clare, King, Graham, Roberts, Jeremy, Wagstaff, Carol, 2017. Development of a statistical crop model to explain the relationship between seed yield and phenotypic diversity within the Brassica napus genepool. Agronomy, 7 (2)
- Walley, Peter Glen, Hough, Gemma, Moore, Jonathan D., Carder, John, Elliott, Marian, Mead, A. (Andrew), Jones, Julie, Teakle, Graham R., Barker, Guy C., Buchanan-Wollaston, Vicky, Hand, Paul, Pink, David, Collier, Rosemary, 2017. Towards new sources of resistance to the currant-lettuce aphid (Nasonovia ribisnigri). Molecular Breeding, 37 (1)
- Golicz, Agnieszka A., Bayer, Philipp E., Barker, Guy C., Edger, Patrick P., Kim, Hye Ran, Martinez, Paula A., Chan, Chon Kit Kenneth, Severn-Ellis, Anita, McCombie, Richard, Parkin, Isobel A. P., Paterson, Andrew H., Pires, Chris, Sharpe, Andrew G., Tang, Haibao, Teakle, Graham R., Town, Christopher D., Batley, Jacqueline, Edwards, David, 2016. The pangenome of an agronomically important crop plant Brassica oleracea. Nature Communications, 17
- Hunter, Paul J., Teakle, Graham R., Bending, G. D., 2014. Root traits and microbial community interactions in relation to phosphorus availability and acquisition, with particular reference to Brassica. Frontiers in Plant Science, 5
- Wood, Tom, Teakle, Graham R., Mackay, Ian, 2013. An introduction to the contemporary breeding of oil seed rape. Lipid Technology, 25 (11), pp. 251-254
- Walley, Peter Glen, Teakle, Graham R., Moore, Jonathan D., Allender, Charlotte J., Pink, David A. C., Buchanan-Wollaston, Vicky, Barker, Guy C., 2012. Developing genetic resources for pre-breeding in Brassica oleracea L. : an overview of the UK perspective. Journal of Plant Biotechnology, 39 (1), pp. 62-68
- Irwin, Judith A., Lister, Clare, Soumpourou, Eleni, Zhang, Yanwen, Howell, Elaine C., Teakle, Graham R., Dean, Caroline, 2012. Functional alleles of the flowering time regulator FRIGIDA in the Brassica oleracea genome. BMC Plant Biology, Vol.12 (No.1)
- Berry, P. M. (Peter M.), Teakle, Graham R., Foulkes, John, White, Philip J., Spink, J. H. (John H.), 2008. Breeding for improved nitrogen use efficiency in oilseed rape. Acta Horticulturae, Vol.867
- Pink, David, Bailey, Elizabeth H., McClement, Sandy, Hand, Paul, Mathas, Evy, Buchanan-Wollaston, Vicky, Astley, Dave, King , Graham J., Teakle, Graham R., 2008. Double haploids, markers and QTL analysis in vegetable brassicas. Euphytica, 164 (2), pp. 509-514
- Broadley, Martin R., Hammond, John P., King , Graham J., Astley, Dave, Bowen, Helen C., Meacham, Mark C., Mead, A. (Andrew), Pink, David, Teakle, Graham R., Hayden, Rory M., Spracklen, William P., White, Philip J., 2008. Shoot calcium and magnesium concentrations differ between subtaxa, are highly heritable, and associate with potentially pleiotropic loci in Brassica oleracea. Plant Physiology, Vol.146 (No.4), pp. 1707-1720
- Choi, Su Ryun, Teakle, Graham R., Plaha, Prikshit, Kim, Jeong Hee, Allender, Charlotte J., Beynon, Elena, Piao, Zhong Yun, Soengas, Pilar, Han, Tae Ho, King, Graham J., Barker, Guy C., Hand, Paul, Lydiate, Derek J., Batley, Jacqueline, Edwards, David, Koo, Dal Hoe, Bang, Jae Wook, Park, Beom-Seok, Lim, Yong Pyo, 2007. The reference genetic linkage map for the multinational Brassica rapa genome sequencing project. Theoretical and Applied Genetics, Vol.115 (No.6), pp. 777-792
- Howell, Elaine C., Barker, Guy C., Jones, Gareth H., Kearsey, Michael J., King, Graham J., Kop, Erik P., Ryder, Carol D., Teakle, Graham R., Vicente, Joana G., Armstrong, Susan J., 2002. Integration of the cytogenetic and genetic linkage maps of Brassica oleracea. Genetics, 161 (3), pp. 1225-1234
- Armstrong, S. J., Howell, E. C., Fransz, G. H., Kearsey, M. J., King, G. J., Kop, E., Ryder, Carol D., Teakle, Graham R., Vicente, Joana G., 2000. Integrating the genetic and physical chromosome maps of Brassica oleracea var. alboglabra. In King, G. J. (ed.), Proceedings of the Third International Symposium on Brassicas and Twelfth Crucifer Genetics Workshop : Wellesbourne, United Kingdom, 5-9 September, 2000, Leuven, ISHS, pp. 77-82
- Broadley, M., Meacham, M., Bowen, Helen C., Hammond, John P., Hayden, Rory M., Mead, A. (Andrew), Teakle, Graham R., King, G., White, P., 2007. Natural genetic variation in the mineral nutrient composition of Brassica oleracea. Annual Main Meeting of the Society for Experimental Biology, Glasgow, Scotland, March 31 - April 4, 2007, Published in Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology. Part A: Molecular & Integrative Physiology, pp. S246-S247
- Collier, Rosemary, Birch, Nicholas E., Hallier, Sonia, Walley, Peter Glen, Teakle, Graham R., Label, Alain, 2016. The potential for identifying and utilising sources of host plant resistance to the pests and pathogens of Brassica crops as a key component of future IPM strategies. IOBC-WPRS Bulletin
- Collier, Rosemary, Teakle, Graham R., Allender, Charlotte J., 2011. Farming Today. BBC Radio 4
- Collier, Rosemary, Teakle, Graham R., 2011. Farming Today. BBC Radio 4
|Title||Funder||Award start||Award end|
|Oilseed Rape Genetic Improvement Network (OREGIN)||Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs||01 Feb 2018||31 Jan 2023|
|VeGIN Tender re-costed budget - link with 57218 that contains the original Tender application||Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs||01 Feb 2018||31 Jan 2023|
|Biological crop protection: a new 'slow down/speed up' strategy for aphid management||BBSRC||01 Aug 2018||31 Jul 2022|
|Brassica Rapeseed and Vegetable Optimisation (BRAVO) - studies to enhance development and yield||BBSRC||01 Jan 2017||31 Dec 2021|
|Genomics-led improvement of biotic and abiotic stress tolerance in mustard rape for economic and environmental sustainability||BBSRC||01 Sep 2018||31 Aug 2021|
|Roots of decline? Assembly and Function of the Rhizosphere Microbiome in Relation to Yield Decline||BBSRC||01 Oct 2018||31 Oct 2019|
|Extension to OREGIN project||Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs||22 Jan 2017||21 Jul 2018|
|Vegetable Genetic Improvement Network (VeGIN) extension 2017||Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs||01 Apr 2017||31 Mar 2018|
|Vegetable Genetic Improvement Network (VeGIN) Tender - Sep 2014||Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs||28 Nov 2014||31 Dec 2017|
|Exploiting next generation sequencing technologies to understand pathogenicity and resistance in Fusarium oxysporum||BBSRC||01 Sep 2013||31 Mar 2017|
|Extension to OREGIN project||Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs||29 Jan 2015||21 Jan 2017|
|Genetic Manipulation of rhizodeposition in oilseed rape to improve yield||BBSRC||01 Oct 2012||30 Sep 2015|
|BBSRC CIRC Transfer from Nottingham: Yield improvement of oilseed rape||BBSRC||01 Oct 2012||30 Sep 2015|
|Exploiting sources of resistance to turnip yellow virus for deployment in oilseed - CIRC proposal||BBSRC||01 Sep 2011||31 Aug 2015|
|Extension to VeGIN: Vegetable Genetic Improvement Network for leafy and field vegetables CH0101||Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs||01 Mar 2014||30 Sep 2014|
|Oilseed Rape Genetic Improvement Network (OREGIN)Extension to OREGIN project; linked to RHRGT0106 (InfoEd 16804)new project code: RLFGT.0437||Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs||01 Jul 2013||30 Jun 2014|
|OREGIN IF0144 (extension of Oilseed Rape Genetic Improvement Network)||Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs||01 Apr 2008||31 Mar 2013|
|IF0157 Vegetable Genetic Improvement Network (VeGIN): Leafy vegetables and salads||Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs||01 Apr 2009||31 Mar 2012|
|Studentship (Junwen Zou) Improving the energy efficiency of biodiesel: reducing energy input and improving sustainability||Tuck Fondation||01 Oct 2008||30 Sep 2011|
|LINK: Breeding Oilseed Rape with Low Requirement for nitrogen Fertiliser (ADAS leading)||Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs||01 Jul 2006||30 Jun 2011|
|Collaborative research project to generate new germplasm using microspore culture of Brassica||Namdhari Seeds PVT. Ltd||09 May 2011||27 May 2011|
|(Supplement) Collaborative research project to generate new germplasm using microspore culture of Brassica - see 30542||Namdhari Seeds PVT. Ltd||09 May 2011||27 May 2011|
|Adding Value to the UK Brassica Crop Science Community.||BBSRC||08 Jan 2007||07 Jan 2010|
|Amendment: Extension to OREGIN (GT0106) oilseed rape genetic improvement network.||Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs||01 Apr 2006||31 Mar 2007|