This seminar is open to everyone at Warwick interested in problem-solving. One of objectives is to select and prepare Warwick's team for the 26th International Mathematical Competition (IMC) that will take place 28 July - 3 August 2019 in Bulgaria. We expect to have six training sessions and three selection tests, 1-2pm on Wednesdays, 16 January - 13 March 2019, all in Room B3.03 (in the Zeeman Building).
Warwick's Mathematics Department has kindly agreed to cover the travel costs for all students selected for the team.
If you are interested, please just turn up for the first session (1pm on 16 January 2019 in B3.03).
- 16 Jan: Training session by O.Pikhurko (Practice problems)
- 23 Jan: Training session by O.Pikhurko (Practice problems)
- 30 Jan: Test 1
- 6 Feb: Training session by D.Kral (Handout)
- 13 Feb: Training session by O.Pikhurko (Practice problems)
- 20 Feb: Test 2
- 27 Feb: Training session by O.Pikhurko (Practice problems and a link to a proof of Pick's Theorem)
- 6 Mar: Training session by A.Mathe (Extra material)
- 13 Mar: Test 3
Further information will be added here in due time. As an extra preparation for the seminar, we recommend solving past problems (available online with solutions) from the following competitions:
- International Mathematical Competition (IMC)
- Putnam Competition
- Vojtech Jarnik Mathematical Competition