To study the biology and physical properties of endometrial stem cells and its interactions with immune cells, in particular, uterine Natural Killer cells (uNKs), and its effects on vascular function at the feto-matenal interface in early pregnancy.
1. Magnetic bead separation to isolate endometrial stem cells and uNKs.
2. Collagen contraction assay to measure single cell contraction force.
3. Atomic force microscopy to measure elasticity, resistance and stiffness of cells.
4. The XCELLigence RTCA system to measure migration, invasion and proliferation.
5. Flow based adhesion assay to investigate adhesion of uNKs to endometrial stem cells using a modified Stamper-Woodruff assay.
6. Laser capture micro-dissection, ELISA, western blotting, QPCR, si-RNA, immunofluorescence and immunohistochemistry to study the molecular properties of endometrial stem cells.
7. Transgenic animal models.
My clinical research focuses on the screening, prevention and treatment of metabolic and cardiovascular disorders of pregnancy, in particular, gestational diabetes mellitus and pre-eclampsia.
1. Ahmed I, Wyldes MP, Chong HP, Barber KJ, Tan BK. 24/7 consultant presence in a UK NHS tertiary maternity unit. 2015;Lancet 386(9997):951-2
2. Murakami K, Bhandari H, Lucas ES, Takeda S, Gargett CE, Quenby S, Brosens JJ, Tan BK. Deficiency in clonogenic endometrial mesenchymal stem cells in obese women with reproductive failure - a pilot study. 2013;PLoS One 8(12):e82582
3. Tan BK, Chen J, Hu J, Amar O, Mattu HS, Adya R, Patel V, Ramanjaneya M, Lehnert H, Randeva HS. Metformin Increases the Novel Adipokine Cartonectin/CTRP3 in Women With Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2013;98(12):E1891-900
4. Tan BK, Hallschmid M, Adya R, Kern W, Lehnert H, Randeva HS. Fibroblast Growth Factor 21 (FGF21) in Human Cerebrospinal Fluid: Relationship with Plasma FGF21 and Body Adiposity. Diabetes 2011;60(11):2758-62