Years Two, Three and Four
In Year Two, you will undertake a Student Selected Component (SSC), which you will chose from a range of options. Each option has broad relevance to the core MB ChB curriculum and will enable you to explore a particular topic in greater depth.
Some of the current year two student selected components are listed below (modules offered may vary from year to year) :
- Counselling Skills
- Mindfulness in Clinical Practice
- Infectious Diseases and Tropical Medicine
- Quantitative Health Research Methods
- An Introduction to Medical Humanities: Middlemarch by George Eliot
- Brain Injury from Roadside to Rehabilitation and Beyond
- Clinical Ethics and Law
- Ethics and New and Emerging Health Technologies
- Health and Care in Sport and Exercise
- Global Health
- Logic and Knowledge in Medicine
- Peer Assisted Learning: An Introduction to Medical Education
- The Medical Mind in Literature and Culture
- Simulation in Medical Education
- Sleep, Health and Society
- Bodywork and Health
- The Digital Doctor
In Year Three, you have an eight-week period where you will have an opportunity to select an area for in-depth enquiry. Depending on your interest, you could link your area of interest with the SSC option you chose in Year Two.
In Year Four, students explore an area in health care of their choice during the Elective period. Most students choose to undertake their electives outside the UK, to observe how medicine is practiced in another country and to experience a different social, cultural and physical environment.