Access free advice, support and advertising when planning and delivering work experience opportunities to attract Warwick students. The Internships Development Team (IDT) are part of External Relations, Student Careers &Skills.
The IDT has been both running and recruiting to internal and external work experience programmes since 2012. We combine our own learning with CIPD and AGR advice to produce good practice that we know leads to productive, motivated interns. As such, we are able to advise you on how your needs best fit with our students' skills and qualities.
Our free consultancy services include:
- Design of opportunity – helping to define a job description or experience outline
- Design of advert – reading and making suggestions to optimise student engagement
- Advertising to Warwick students via our vacancies portal, myAdvantage
- Advice and guidance on good practice during your recruitment and selection
- Detailed information about managing interns
- Telephone support for questions about line management style or challenges
We will do everything we can to help you present the most attractive offer to our students.
What we can't do for you
The IDT supports the good practice of employers in work experience design and delivery. Sadly, we cannot:
- Source students to your specification and/or match talent – this is the role played by Unitemps
- Control the labour market – we will do everything we can to help you present the most attractive offer, but we can’t control the outcomes of your recruitment processes
- Guarantee engagement with students from a specific academic department, when advertising centrally
Provide specialist HR, legal, financial or immigration advice but will endeavour to signpost.
- Internships that work – A guide from employers – CIPD
- Common Best Practice Code for High-quality Internships – Published by the Trades Union Congress on behalf of the Gateways to the Professions Collaborative Forum
- Internships: An AGCAS Position Statement – AGCAS
- Employment rights and pay for interns – GOV.UK
- Employment contracts – GOV.UK
- National minimum wage: work experience and internships – GOV.UK
- Volunteer placements, rights and expenses – GOV.UK
- Volunteer Internships in the Voluntary Sector – NCVO