Social Sciences Extension (2018)
The second phase of the Social Sciences refurbishment was completed in November 2018 and has provided social and learning breakout space immediately outside the Social Sciences centrally timetabled rooms. The first phase, completed in 2017, provided gender neutral toilet facilities.
The Social Sciences Building is situated on Central Campus and is primarily used by the Social Sciences Faculty; the 4th largest Social Sciences faculty in the UK and home to a community of students from 150 countries.
The features of this project include:
- An increase in space by 250%
- extensive built-in and loose seating to provide a learning and breakout space for students and staff
- The extension is glulam timber framed, contributing towards the University's policy of developing and maintaining grounds and buildings in an environmentally sensitive way
- Covered bicycle parking provisions
- External bench seating
- Campus district heating system extended and connected to this building as part of the summer 2019 works
During the summer of 2019 the 8 teaching rooms along the corridor will be refurbished, modernising the whole corridor.