Skip to main content Skip to navigation


Insurance in private accommodation

If you live off-campus in private accommodation, it is important that you make sure all your possessions are covered against theft and accidental damage. There are many providers of possessions insurance, including the major banks and Endsleigh Insurance.

Health insurance

We strongly recommend that all students have comprehensive health insurance.

You should be able to register with the Medical Centre on campus, however you will need to visit them for further information, and costs may apply.

You should ensure that your insurance covers medical costs for the duration of your stay as well.

Tier 4 General Students

From 6 April 2015 Tier 4 General Student visa applicants are required to pay an immigration health charge (IHS) at the point of submitting their visa application. This is not optional and will apply to all applicants and family members applying to come to the UK as their Dependants. The charge will entitle the visa holder to free health services under the National Health Service (NHS) once inside the UK.

All students studying for more than six months will need to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS), at a cost of £200 per year and/ or £100 per part year up to a period of six months. For full details, please refer to the Immigration website.

Entry clearance applications made under the visitor immigration rules will be exempt but applicants using the extending Student Visitor route for English language courses up to 11 months will be charged.

Please note, this information may be subject to change and applicants should always consult the Home Office website for the most up-to-date news. For more information, please also refer to UKCISA website.

Travel insurance

Before you travel, you should purchase travel insurance to cover your journey to the UK. Most travel insurance will cover any problems such as delays, emergency medical treatment, and lost or stolen luggage. You should also research insurance needed for the duration of your stay in the UK, for example medical insurance, mobile, bike or musical instruments. Endsleigh Insurance is the only insurance company recommended by the National Union of Students (NUS) in the UK. You can review Endsleigh products on their website.

You should also check with your home university to see what advice they are offering regarding purchasing Travel Insurance in your home country.