Coronavirus (Covid-19): Latest updates and information
Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Carers (students with caring responsibilities)

Are you caring for someone and (considering) studying at Warwick?

A student carer is a person who combines university study with caring for a family member, partner or friend who has a physical or sensory disability, learning disability, medical conditions, mental health difficulties, or has a problematic use of drugs, alcohol or gambling. You may be the main carer, or you may share this responsibility with someone else.

Juggling such responsibilities with academic study can be challenging and place additional stress on a student’s own physical and mental health. The University of Warwick provides a network of support to students which can help student carers make the most of their time as a student.

Young adult carers

Higher education can give young adult carers the independence and skills they need for their chosen career.

There are approximately 375,000 young adult carers (aged 14-25) in the UK, all facing different challenges and responsibilities. If you are under the age of 19 and provide regular care and support to a family member, you may be eligible to access additional support while studying.

Support we offer

It's important to identify yourself as a carer, so that we can advise and help you put the necessary support in place. If you're not sure where to start, have a chat with your personal tutor or the support services, who will be able to point you in the right direction.

We know not all students will want to use our services and you are under no obligation to do so but we believe it is still useful to know exactly what is available and to keep updated, if you decide you need additional help or support at a later date.

Everyone is different. That’s why we’ll work with you to create a personalised package of support. This package can be reviewed at any time to suit you.

You might find it helpful to establish contact with support colleagues before you arrive and discuss what support you might need during your time with us. To have an initial general chat, please get in touch with our Wellbeing Support Services team using the contact details at the bottom.

The University offers a network of support available to Warwick students. You are welcome to contact us with any queries or concerns.

Examples of issues we may be able to help with are:

Providing you with student funding help and advice

Information can be found at:
Students’ Union
Student Finance
Student Funding

Providing you with accommodation advice

If you have specific accommodation needs due to your caring responsibilities, please contact the University for advice.

Information can be found at:
Wellbeing Support Services
Warwick Accommodation
Students’ Union

Providing you support with your academic work

Supporting you with academic issues, including liaising with your academic department and tutors if you wish.

You will be allocated a personal tutor/ supervisor, whilst at Warwick and we suggest that this person is aware of your caring responsibilities from the beginning. Whether you choose to inform them from the start or not, you will need to inform your personal tutor if your studies become affected. If you find yourself missing classes / academic commitments because of problems relating to caring for someone else, this may impact on you keeping up with your academic work. Missed deadlines/ poor attendance may affect your academic performance so it is always important that the personal tutor is aware, so that this can be taken into consideration – please be reassured that all information will be dealt with sensitively.

Time out to be a carer

If you have to suspend your studies to care for someone, it may be possible to take a period of temporary withdrawal. You should seek advice from your personal tutor/ department in the first instance.

Information can be found at:
Your academic department (Personal Tutor/Supervisor/Department Senior Tutor/Dean of Students)
Students’ Union

Advising regarding your liaison with external support agencies to make sure you and the person you care for receive a full assessment of your support needs
Offering advice about other University services
Being someone to talk to if you need to
Advising re. any local support agencies

Information can be found at:
Wellbeing Support Services
Students’ Union

External support:
Coventry Carers
Young Adult Carers (local)
Health Centre

Care Companion

Please note: Warwick students will not generally be caring for other Warwick students and should you find yourself in this situation, you are strongly recommended to seek advice as soon as possible.

carersStudent Union Parents and Carers Network

Useful Links:

Care Companion