Module leader: Ian Day
Module running in 2022/23
This module provides students with comprehensive knowledge of the skills and theoretical perspectives relating to leadership coaching and team coaching. The module is designed to develop systematic theoretical knowledge, skills in practice and self-awareness, focussing on coaching in organisations in which leadership coaching and team coaching will be used. This module takes an andragogical approach, with individual learning at the centre. The module will involve blended learning consisting of intensive all-day workshops plus virtual learning environment including online private module learning material accompanied by webinar and/or tutorial.
By the end of the module the student should be able to:
- Identify and describe in depth a comprehensive range of theoretical perspectives relating to leadership coaching and team coaching.
- Critically evaluate the knowledge and skills of leadership and team coaching and interpret these in relation to context.
- Creatively apply and integrate the knowledge and skills into own practice, through critical reflection on, and evaluation of personal strengths, identifying areas for development.
- Communicate effectively by sharing information and discussing good practice in the design and delivery of leadership and team coaching, using the current course guides to presentation and referencing.
- Introduction to the course, emphasising the integrated nature of coaching and that theory and practice are each of equal importance.
- Links to the core course modules.
- What is leadership - an introduction to leadership theories and the evolution of leadership concepts over time.
- An exploration of the unique nature of leadership coaching, in relation to the skills required, working within a complex organisational system, and impact on contracting and objective setting.
- The theory of working in groups and teams within organisations and how knowledge of individual psychology is important to understand the behaviour of teams within organisations.
- Models and approaches of team coaching and how these can be applied in practice.
- The difference between team coaching, team facilitation, team management and individual coaching.
- An understanding of the tools which can be used for diagnosis, such as team questionnaires, 360-degree feedback and personality profiles, etc.
- How to evaluate leadership coaching and team coaching to demonstrate a return on investment, as well as broader measures of success such as wellbeing.
Summary of teaching
30 hours of blended learning that is predominantly intensive, residential workshops with further materials provided via a virtual learning environment supported by a module reading pack and tutorial support.
Module timing and duration
Usually, this module runs once a year.
The assignment consists of a 5,000 word project (100%). The assignment asks students write a case study about their practice in relation to either leadership coaching or team coaching. Students will be required to think critically and evaluate their practice in relation to theoretical perspectives.