Module leader: Phil McCash
Module running in 2019/20
The Group Work and Group Work (Certificate) module enables participants to develop practice in the facilitation of group work. The module is designed to develop reflective group work practice focusing on: theories of group work and learning; preparation and facilitation; assessment; and evaluation.
By the end of the module the student should be able to:
- Identify theories of learning.
- Recognise group dynamics.
- Identify skills in planning, design, facilitation, assessment and evaluation of group work.
- Critically analyse and evaluate the knowledge and understanding listed above through undertaking 1 or 2 group work sessions.
- Integrate theory and practice in group work.
- Develop group work skills on the basis of the evaluation and analysis undertaken.
- Apply knowledge and understanding to 1 or 2 group work sessions.
- Communicate in written and oral form by integrating, analysing and applying key texts and professional practices.
- Articulation of participants’ prior experience in group work.
- Theories of learning, for example, experiential learning.
- Writing learning outcomes.
- Group dynamics.
- Planning, design and facilitation.
- Assessment of learning outcomes and evaluation.
- Use of the above to underpin group work practice via role plays and scenarios.
- Professional ethics, theoretical perspectives and values associated with group work, for example, client-centredness, impartiality, client learning, reflective practice and respect for diversity.
Summary of teaching
30 hours of blended learning consisting predominantly of intensive, residential workshops with further materials provided via a virtual learning environment supported by online reading pack and webinar support. The attendance-based teaching is advertised in the AGCAS training calendar as Group Work.
Module timing and duration
Usually, this module runs once a year between April and July. Participants are allowed 5 months to complete.
CE931: the assignment consists of a 5000 word project (100%). Typically, participants are asked to carry out two group work activities and evaluate them.
CE924: the assignment consists of a 2500 word project (100%). Typically, participants are asked to carry out one group work activity and evaluate it.
Before enrolling on this module, you must ensure that you will be able to record and conduct some group works within the 5 month timescale.