Warwick Postgraduate Taught Sanctuary Scholarships
We are located on the outskirts of the city of Coventry which is recognised as a 'City of Sanctuary'. The 'City of Sanctuary' movementLink opens in a new window is committed to building a culture of hospitality and welcome, especially for those seeking sanctuary from war and persecution.
We provide a range of scholarships to enable refugees to progress to access university education. Since the launch of the scheme we have awarded 30 scholarships to postgraduate students.
Find out more about postgraduate life and study at Warwick.Link opens in a new window
PGT Applications for October 2023 entry will open on 3rd March 2023.
There are a limited number of scholarships available and not all applications will be successful.
- Length of funding: 1 year (2 years part time)
- The full payment of academic fees
- A maintenance stipend in line with UKRI rates (not yet confirmed for 2023/24)
Eligible students must be of any nationality who hold one of the following statuses as granted by the UK government:
- Refugee Status
- Asylum Seeker
- Definite Leave to Remain as a result of an asylum seeker application
- Limited Leave to Remain as a result of an asylum seeker application
- Humanitarian protection as a result of an asylum seeker application
- You were included as a dependent (spouse/child) on an application for asylum. Please note: Spouses/civil partners must have been the spouse/civil partner on the date on which the asylum application was made. Children/step-children must have been aged under 18 on the date on which the asylum application was made.
Postgraduate Taught applicants should be looking to study a full-time or part-time Postgraduate Taught course at the University. Find out more about our Postgraduate Taught courses for 2023 entry.Link opens in a new window
You must also hold a conditional or unconditional offer (or e awaiting a decision) for one of the following courses starting Autumn 2023:
- Full-time or part-time postgraduate Masters programme (LLM, MA, MSc or MRes)
- Full-time Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)
Please note Module based courses (not achieving 180 CATS over a 1 year full-time or 2 year part-time basis) and Distance Learning courses are not eligible.
The Application Process
- Submit your admission application
- Receive your 7-digit applicant ID number and create your IT account
- Submit your scholarship application.
- Results will be communicated usually within 10 weeks of submitting your scholarship application.
Before You Apply
All applicants should familiarise themselves with the following documents before making an application:
- The Postgraduate Taught Sanctuary Scholarship Guidance Notes for ApplicantsLink opens in a new window
- The Postgraduate Taught Scholarship CriteriaLink opens in a new window. The criteria listed here will be used to assess applications.
Applications are open until Wednesday 31 May 2023
We aim to communicate the results within 10 weeks of the closing date for applications.
PGT applications for October 2023 entry will be open from 3rd March until 31 May 2023.
Find out about our Undergraduate and Postgraduate Research Sanctuary Scholarships
- Course offers: You will need to apply to your course at Warwick first and then for a Sanctuary Scholarship.
- National Asylum Support Service (NASS): If you are currently in receipt of National Asylum Support Service (NASS) we recommend you seek advice from your immigration solicitor, as receiving this scholarship could have implications on your ongoing NASS entitlement.
- Bank accounts: At this time we are only able to make Scholarship payments into a bank account. You may find our webpages on opening a UK bank account useful.