Skip to main content Skip to navigation

English Language Qualifications

English Language Qualifications

If your first language is not English you must obtain or provide evidence of your proficiency in English. This is usually evidenced through one of the following tests:

  • IELTS (International English Language Testing System) of at least 6.5
  • TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) of at least 92 (internet-based iBT only)
  • PTE (Pearson English Academic) of at least 62
  • CAE (Cambridge Advanced English) with an overall score of at least 60 (or pass at grade C)
  • CPE (Cambridge Proficiency English) with any Pass grade

These are the minimum overall scores. There are also requirements for each component. Please see the Language Requirements webpage for more details.

PLEASE NOTE: Some departments may ask for higher scores in the above tests if this is important for successful study on the course concerned. Please refer to the English Language Information and Entry Requirements for specific scores (as well as component scores) required for the course you are applying for.

If you do not achieve the required score please send in your certificate anyway. In such cases the University may recommend that you re-take the test or that you attend pre-sessional English courses provided by the University.

Acceptable format of an English language certificate: If you have taken an IELTS or TOEFL test we are able to accept a scanned copy of your Test Report as we can verify your scores online. If you have taken a PTE test then you must ask the test provider to make The University of Warwick a recipient of your test report. This is the only way we can accept your results. You should consider including UK Border Agency as a recipient as well if you will need to apply for a Student Visa. If you have taken a CAE or CPE test, please write your Candidate I.D. Number and Secret Number (both can be obtained from your test provider) on your Test Report and send us a scanned copy of your Test Report to enable us to verify your scores online.

You must have taken any language test within 2 years of the start date of the course for which you are applying or it will not be accepted.

If you have been educated entirely in English for at least one year within the two years immediately preceding the course start date, then you may provide written evidence of this with your application in the place of an English Language certificate. Some departments may still require an English language certificate in addition to this.

If you have already taken one of the tests above but are intending to take another test to improve your score, please mention this in the Test Score obtained field. i.e. 6.5 re-test booked 01/03/12