I am a tutor for the core first-year module of the undergraduate programme, Modes of Reading. In this course we look at four set texts alongside different critical theorists and schools of literary thought. As part of this, I run weekly seminars and an office hour in which students can approach me for one-to-one support on their essays.
I have a strong commitment to education and disseminating my research. I am working with the Widening Participation team to make sure that school students within the local area benefit from the University's resources.
- February 2014 - teaching a one-day course on excelling with Literature coursework, as part of the widening participation programme at the University of Warwick
- February 2014 (forthcoming) - guest speaker at the Bloxham School Scholars Society on 'Memory as an Interdisciplinary Subject'
- February 2013 - guest speaker on 'Life as a Researcher' for the Realising Opportunities programme at the University of Warwick
- Dec 2012 - teaching a one-day Revision Course on English Language, as part of the Pathways to Law programme at the University of Warwick
Between finishing my MPhil and beginning my PhD, I was a secondary school teacher of English Language and English Literature. I have taught children between the ages of 10 and 18, helping with extra-curricular activities as well as classroom teaching. Further details are provided below.
- 2011-12 Teacher of English at Oakham School
– Creative English; IGCSE English/English Literature; AS/A2 English Language AQA B
- 2011 Teacher of English at Repton School
– Year 9 English; AQA GCSE English/English Literature; OCR AS English Literature
– Romantic poetry revision seminars
– Duty nights in Field House boarding house (supervising prep and lights out)
- 2010 Teacher of English at Bedford School
– Year 9 English; AS/A2 OCR English Literature; A2 AQA Classical Civilisation (Greek Tragedy)
– Lecturing to the English Society, helping with the advanced reading group and setting up a poetry appreciation group for staff
Modes of Reading seminar 2013