1. Have developments since the Emergency strengthened or corroded democracy in India?
2. Discuss the ways in which economic liberalization has transformed Indian politics.
1. Sudipta Kaviraj, “The Passive Revolution and India: A Critique”, in Trajectories of the Indian State: Politics and Ideas (Ranikhet, 2010), pp. 100-144
2. Sudipta Kaviraj, “The Politics of Liberalization in India”, in Trajectories of the Indian State: Politics and Ideas (Ranikhet, 2010), pp. 234-271
3. Nivedita Menon and Aditya Nigam, Power and Contestation: India Since 1989 (London, 2007), ‘Introduction’
1. Ramachandra Guha, India after Gandhi: The History of the World’s Largest Democracy (Delhi, 2007)
2. Achin Vanaik, The Painful Transition: Bourgeois Democracy in India (London, 1990)
3. Ayesha Jalal, Democracy and Authoritarianism in South Asia (Cambridge, 1995)