Tel: currently awaiting reallocation
Email: J dot Ahearne at warwick dot ac dot uk
[Currently awaiting office reallocation]
University of Warwick
Coventry CV4 7AL
I have just completed a three-year secondment as director of the Centre for Cultural Policy Studies. On my return to the SMLC, I will be teaching a range of modules on modern French politics and culture. I am on research leave in terms 1 and 2 of the academic year 2017-18.
I have worked substantially in the past on contemporary French thought and cultural policy debates. I published in 2010 a monograph on the relations between public intellectuals and culture-shaping policy processes in France (Intellectuals, Culture and Public Policy in France: Approaches from the Left, 2010). I completed in 2014 a book on the strategies for government through culture deployed by the contemporary French right (as in my previous work, culture is understood here in a broad sense, with a particular focus on issues of political secularism, education reform, television, national memory and international cultural projection). I am presently working on the cultural, media and linguistic dimensions of French foreign policy.
Teaching and supervision
I will be teaching a range of modules on French politics and culture in 2018-19.
- Government through Culture and the Contemporary French Right (Palgrave Macmillan, 2014).
- Intellectuals, Culture and Public Policy in France: Approaches from the Left, Liverpool: Liverpool University Press (available through University of Chicago Press in USA), 2010.
- Between Cultural Theory and Policy: The Cultural Policy Thinking of Pierre Bourdieu, Michel de Certeau and Régis Debray, Centre for Cultural Policy Studies, University of Warwick, Research Papers no. 7, 2004.
- Michel de Certeau: Interpretation and its Other, Cambridge: Polity Press, 1995 and Stanford University Press, 1996.
- Intellectuals and Cultural Policy, ed. J. Ahearne and O. Bennett, London: Routledge 2007.
- French Cultural Policy Debates: A Reader (selected, edited, translated and introduced), London: Routledge, 2002
Edited journal issues
- Paragraph, 35/1, March 2012, special issue on ‘Bourdieu and the Literary Field’ (co-edited with John Speller) (with introduction pp. 1-9)
- International Journal of Cultural Policy, 17/2, 2011, special edition on 'religion and cultural policy' (with O. Bennett)
- International Journal of Cultural Policy, 15/2, 2009, special edition on 'implicit cultural policies' (with O. Bennett)
- International Journal of Cultural Policy, 9/2, 2003, special edition on French and German cultural policies, guest editor J. Ahearne
Book chapters and articles
- 'Cultural insecurity and its discursive crystallisation in contemporary France', Modern and Contemporary France, online version published Feb 2017.
- 'Cultural policy through the prism of fiction (Michel Houellebecq)', International Journal of Cultural Policy, 23/1, Jan 2017, pp. 1-16.
- ‘Laïcité: a parallel French cultural policy (2002-2007)’, French Cultural Studies, forthcoming, 25(3/4), 2014.
- ‘Fields and fragments: Bourdieu, Pascal and the teachings of literature’, in Paragraph, 35/1 March 2012, pp. 97-114.
- ‘Designs on the popular: framings of general, universal and common culture in French educational policy’, in David Looseley (ed.), Policy and the Popular (London: Routledge, 2011) [also available in International Journal of Cultural Policy, 17/4, Sept 2011, pp. 421-437]
- 'Questions of Religion and Cultural Policy in France', International Journal of Cultural Policy, 17/2 (March 2011), pp. 153-169.
- 'Cultural Policy Implicit and Explicit: A Distinction and Some Uses', International Journal of Cultural Policy, 15/2, 2009, pp. 141-53.
- 'Public Intellectuals and Cultural Policy in France', in Ahearne and Bennett (ed.), Intellectuals and Cultural Policy (London: Routledge, 2007), pp. 209-25.
- 'Towards and Beyond The Practice of Everyday Life: The Cultural Policy Thinking of Michel de Certeau, 1973-1984', in Michel de Certeau: Geschichte-Kultur-Religion, ed. M. Fussel (Constance: Universitatsverlag Konstanz, 2007)
- 'Public Intellectuals within a "Multiple Streams" Model of the Cultural Policy Process', International Journal of Cultural Policy, 12/1, March 2006
- ‘La complexité dans les réseaux’, in C. Héber-Suffrin (ed.), Partager les savoirs, construire le lien, pref. M. Serres (Lyon: Chronique Sociale, 2001), pp. 49-55.
- ‘Les pratiques pour tisser ensemble une culture’, in C. Héber-Suffrin (ed.), Partager les savoirs, construire le lien, pref. M. Serres (Lyon: Chronique Sociale, 2001), pp. 56-62..
- ‘Questions of cultural policy in the thought of Michel de Certeau, 1968-1972’, in South Atlantic Quarterly, 100/2, Spring 2001, pp. 447-63.
- Introduction to section ‘Other Languages: Speech and Writing’ in G. Ward (ed.), The Certeau Reader (Oxford: Blackwell, 2000), pp. 153-7.
- ‘French cultural policy past and present: essay review’, in French Cultural Studies, February 1999, 129-36.
- ‘“Vers un agir complexe”: the Mouvement des Réseaux d'Echanges Réciproques des Savoirs and the writings of Edgar Morin’, in French Cultural Studies, October 1997, pp. 341-55.
- ‘The shattering of Christianity and the articulation of belief’ [on Michel de Certeau], in New Blackfriars, Nov 1996, pp. 493-504.
- ‘Feux persistants: Entretien sur Michel de Certeau’ (with Luce Giard, Dominique Julia, Pierre Mayol, Olivier Mongin), in Esprit, March 1996, pp. 131-154.
- M. de Certeau, ‘The World of the Vowel’, in G. Ward, The Certeau Reader (Oxford: Blackwell, 2000), pp. 177-87.
- See also, under ‘Books’, French Cultural Policy Debates: A Reader.
BA, DPhil (Oxford)
If you would like to see me please email for an appointment. I will normally respond within 24 hours.
I am on research leave in terms 1 and 2 of 2017-18