1. Analyse Gérard Depardieu’s physical performance in any ONE OR MORE of the films you have studied on the module.
2. With close reference to his performance in any ONE OR MORE films, attempt to account for the on-screen charisma of Gérard Depardieu.
3. Analyse Jean Gabin’s place in the mise-en-scène of any ONE OR MORE of the films you have studied.
4. To what extent, and in what ways, can Jean Gabin be taken to represent 'Frenchness'? Answer with reference to any ONE OR MORE of his film roles.
5. To what extent, and in what ways, can any ONE OR MORE Catherine Deneuve's film roles be interpreted as a critique of gender norms?
6. ‘Catherine Deneuve’s mature film roles give her more opportunity to exploit her acting range than her early films.’ How far do you agree with this assessment of Deneuve's career? Answer with reference to any ONE OR MORE of the films you have studied on the module.
7. Discuss the role of violence in any ONE OR MORE films starring Isabelle Huppert.
8. Examine the relationship between interiority and exteriorization in any ONE OR MORE film performances by Isabelle Huppert.
9. Analyse the construction of national identity in any one or more films starring Vincent Cassel.
10. ‘What makes Cassel's portrayal of violent men so compelling is his gift for exposing the ridiculousness of thwarted masculinity.’ With reference to Vincent Cassel’s on-screen performance in one or more of his films, to what is extent is this true?