Choosing your external modules
Each year you'll be able to take optional modules from the Liberal Arts Department or from other departments across the University. These optional modules comprise your pathway. You may take a module from any department in the University which can offer you a place.
A good place to start when considering your optional modules is the University's Module Catalogue where you can find a full list of all modules.
Please note, not all modules will necessarily be running each year. The most up-to-date information will be on department webpages (please see links to these pages below).
A reminder of your course structure
- 75 CATS of core modules with the Liberal Arts Department; and
- 45 CATS from the Liberal Arts Department or another department(s) within the University.
For academic advice on choosing your optional module(s), you will have a meeting with your personal tutor in Welcome Week and we will also run an advice session to answer any queries in Welcome Week.
For administrative advice please email: liberalarts at warwick dot ac dot uk.
- 60 CATS of core modules with the Liberal Arts Department; and
- 60 CATS of modules from your chosen Disciplinary Interest or Specialist Interest pathway.
- One 30 CATS module with the Liberal Arts Department; and
- 90 CATS of modules from your chosen Disciplinary Interest or Specialist Interest pathway.
You will usually choose your pathway at the end of the second term of your first year. Please bear in mind that to follow some pathways, you will be required to study certain modules in your first year to be able to continue taking that pathway in your second year. For some pathways, there will also be requirements in your second and final years.
For more information on pathway prerequisites, please see:
External department module lists
Other popular departments
- Centre for Cultural and Media Policy Studies
- History of Art
- Institute for Advanced Teaching and Learning (IATL)
- Politics and International Studies
- School of Modern Languages and Cultures
- The Language Centre
- Warwick Business School (You will have to register for an account with the Business School to view these. Go to my.wbs.ac.uk/registration to register.)
Registering for your optional modules
- You must gain your personal tutor's permission prior to registering for your optional modules.
- Pre-register for your optional modules with the external department. Each department has a different process for registering your interest in their modules.
- Once a department has confirmed you can take their module, you must register all your modules online via e-MR (eVision Module Registration). e-MR usually opens in late September/the start of term. You must be enrolled in order to register your modules. You will also need your IT Services account details in order to access e-MR.
|External department||How to pre-register|
|Classics||Complete the online module selection form|
|Economics||Email the Undergraduate Office: economics dot ugoffice at warwick dot ac dot uk|
|English||Email the Department's Academic Administrator, Heather Pilbin: H dot S dot Pilbin at warwick dot ac dot uk|
|Film and Television Studies||
Email the Department's Administrator, Tracey McVey: T dot A dot Bale at warwick dot ac dot uk
|Languages: French, Italian, German and Spanish||
Email the Undergraduate Office: resource dot languages at warwick dot ac dot uk
|Global Sustainable Development||
Email the Undergraduate Office: globalsustainabledev at warwick dot ac dot uk
|History||You must submit a module nomination form to the History Department. Please see the 'Process for Outside Students' section on the History Department's Module Information page.|
|History of Art||Complete the online module application form|
|IATL||Complete the online request form|
First, take a look at the Language Centre's Welcome Week presentation.
Email the Undergraduate Office: L dot K dot Morris at warwick dot ac dot uk
Contact Isabelle Carré (Isabelle.Carre@warwick.ac.uk) in the School of Life Sciences to discuss which modules you are interested in and whether your choices would be suitable
|Theatre and Performance Studies||Email SCAPVCundergraduate at warwick dot ac dot uk and copy in liberalarts at warwick dot ac dot uk|
|Philosophy||Email the Undergraduate Office: philundergrad at warwick dot ac dot uk|
|Psychology||Email the Undergraduate Office: Psychology at warwick dot ac dot uk|
|Politics and International Studies (PAIS)||
PAIS does not have pre-registration, so you will need to go onto the e:Vision Module Registration (eMR) when it opens and select the module
|School of Modern Languages and Cultures||Take a look at the School of Modern Languages and Cultures' web page.|
|Sociology||Email the Undergraduate Office: sociology at warwick dot ac dot uk|
|Warwick Business School||Access the module selection system via my.wbs. If you are not yet set up on my.wbs go to my.wbs.ac.uk/registration to register. If you have any questions, please email the
Undergraduate Office: undergraduate at wbs dot ac dot uk
For all Warwick students, there are some restrictions and it may not always be possible to get every first-choice module. For example, some optional modules will require you to have studied another module first. In addition, some modules have limited capacity or are reserved for specific degree programmes. However, we'll always work with you to help you build a pathway that meets your interests and needs.