Dr Zanardini is Associate Professor in Environmental Microbiology at the University of Insubria, Department of Science and High Technology. (Como, Italy)
Her main research activities focus on microbial ecology and environmental microbiology: bioremediation of contaminated soil, wastewater treatment plant, and biodeterioration/biorestoration in cultural heritage field.
In 2009 she has been awarded a 2 years Marie Curie IEF-FP7 project, "Biological agents that actively attack Cultural Heritage stoneworks"; during this project she worked at the University of Warwick, developing specific molecular ecology techniques in the study of microbial communities colonizing cultural heritage stoneworks. She applied molecular techniques such as PCR, cloning, sequencing, 16S rRNA gene and functional gene analysis, high throughput sequencing (454 pyrosequencing) , RT-PCR. She has also experience of other cutting edge techniques such as DNA-SIP and Raman-FISH.
Dr Zanardini is Associate Professor in Microbiology at the University of Insubria (Como), Department of Science and High Technology. She received her University degree in Biology at University of Milan, and PhD in "Chemistry, biochemistry and ecology of pesticides" (1999), University of Milan. She worked as Researcher for 14 years at the University of Milan and since 2005 as Associate Professor at University of Insubria.
- Zanardini, Elisabetta, May, Eric, Purdy, Kevin J., Murrell, J. Colin, 2019. Nutrient cycling potential within microbial communities on culturally important stoneworks. Environmental Microbiology Reports, 11 (2), pp. 147-154
- Rampazzi, Laura, Andreotti, Alessia, Bressan, Mario, Colombini, Maria Perla, Corti, Cristina, Cuzman, Oana, d'Alessandro, Nicola, Liberatore, Lolita, Palombi, Lorenzo, Raimondi, Valentina, Sacchi, Barbara, Tiano, Piero, Tonucci, Lucia, Vettori, Silvia, Zanardini, Elisabetta, Ranalli, Giancarlo, 2018. An interdisciplinary approach to a knowledge-based restoration : the dark alteration on Matera Cathedral (Italy). Applied Surface Science, 458, pp. 529-539
- Ranalli, G., Zanardini, Elisabetta, Andreotti, A., Colombini, M. P., Corti, C., Bosch-Roig, P., De Nuntiis, P., Lustrato, G., Mandrioli, P., Rampazzi, L., Giantomassi, C., Zari, D., 2018. Hi-tech restoration by two-steps biocleaning process of Triumph of Death fresco at the Camposanto Monumental Cemetery (Pisa, Italy). Journal of Applied Microbiology, 125 (3), pp. 800-812
- Terzaghi, Elisa, Morselli, Melissa, Zanardini, Elisabetta, Morosini, Cristiana, Raspa, Giuseppe, Di Guardo, Antonio, 2018. Improving the SoilPlusVeg model to evaluate rhizoremediation and PCB fate in contaminated soils. Environmental Pollution, 241, pp. 1138-1145
- Terzaghi, Elisa, Zanardini, Elisabetta, Morosini, Cristiana, Raspa, Giuseppe, Borin, Sara, Mapelli, Francesca, Vergani, Lorenzo, Di Guardo, Antonio, 2018. Rhizoremediation half-lives of PCBs : role of congener composition, organic carbon forms, bioavailability, microbial activity, plant species and soil conditions, on the prediction of fate and persistence in soil. Science of The Total Environment, 612, pp. 544-560
- Vergani, Lorenzo, Mapelli, Francesca, Zanardini, Elisabetta, Terzaghi, Elisa, Di Guardo, Antonio, Morosini, Cristiana, Raspa, Giuseppe, Borin, Sara, 2017. Phyto-rhizoremediation of polychlorinated biphenyl contaminated soils : an outlook on plant-microbe beneficial interactions. Science of The Total Environment, 575, pp. 1395-1406
- Di Guardo, Antonio, Terzaghi, Elisa, Raspa, Giuseppe, Borin, Sara, Mapelli, Francesca, Chouaia, Bessem, Zanardini, Elisabetta, Morosini, Cristiana, Colombo, Andrea, Fattore, Elena, Davoli, Enrico, Armiraglio, Stefano, Sale, Vanna M., Anelli, Simone, Nastasio, Paolo, 2017. Differentiating current and past PCB and PCDD/F sources : the role of a large contaminated soil site in an industrialized city area. Environmental Pollution, 223, pp. 367-375
- Zanardini, E., May, Eric, Inkpen, Robert, Cappitelli, Francesca, Murrell, J. C. (J. Colin), Purdy, Kevin J., 2016. Diversity of archaeal and bacterial communities on exfoliated sandstone from Portchester Castle (UK). International Biodeterioration & Biodegradation, 109, pp. 78-87
- Bosch-Roig, Pilar, Lustrato, Giuseppe, Zanardini, Elisabetta, Ranalli, Giancarlo, 2015. Biocleaning of cultural heritage stone surfaces and frescoes : which delivery system can be the most appropriate?. Annals of Microbiology, 65 (3), pp. 1227-1241
- Giacomucci, L., Purdy, Kevin J., Zanardini, E., Polo, A., Cappitelli, F., 2012. A new non-degenerate primer pair for the specific detection of the nitrite reductase gene nrfA in the genus desulfovibrio. Journal of Molecular Microbiology and Biotechnology, 22 (6), pp. 345-351
- Alfano, G., Lustrato, G., Belli, C., Zanardini, E., Cappitelli, F., Mello, E., Sorlini, C., Ranalli, G., 2011. The bioremoval of nitrate and sulfate alterations on artistic stonework: The case-study of Matera Cathedral after six years from the treatment. International Biodeterioration & Biodegradation, Vol.65 (No.7), pp. 1004-1011