Humans are engaged in a non-stop evolutionary struggle with infectious diseases. I seek to understand how natural selection from pathogens has shaped human genetics. I use mathematical and computational models of biological processes to achieve this.
I am particularly interested in the genes of the human immune system and in co-evolution between malaria and humans. For a full description of my research interests please see my profile at Warwick's Zeeman Institute. My projects at the Zeeman Institute, including the work of my current PhD students, Connor White, Susie Cant and Mamas Louca are detailed here. I am also on Twitter.
I am happy to be contacted by potential research students in the biosciences who wish to carry out computational / theoretical projects relating to infectious disease and host-pathogen co-evolution.
I studied Biological Sciences at the University of Oxford (BA, 2006) and completed a DPhil in Zoology at the University of Oxford (2011). I was a Junior Research Fellow at Merton College, Oxford (2011-2014), a Sir Henry Wellcome Postdoctoral fellow at the University of Oxford Department of Zoology (2011-2015) and between 2015 and 2016 I was a Departmental Research Lecturer in the University of Oxford Department of Zoology.
Barquera, Rodrigo, Zuniga, Joaquin, Flores-Rivera, José, Corona, Teresa, Penman, Bridget S., Hernández-Zaragoza, Diana Iraíz, Soler, Manuel, Jonapá-Gómez, Letisia, Mallempati, Kalyan C, Yescas, Petra, Ochoa-Morales, Adriana, Barsakis, Konstantinos, Aguilar-Vázquez, José Artemio, García-Lechuga, Maricela, Mindrinos, Michael, Yunis, María, Jiménez-Alvarez, Luis, Mena-Hernández, Lourdes, Ortega, Esteban, Cruz-Lagunas, Alfredo et al (Select to open full list), 2020.
- White, Connor, Pellis, Lorenzo, Keeling, Matthew James, Penman, Bridget S., 2020. Detecting HLA-infectious disease associations for multi-strain pathogens. Infection, Genetics and Evolution, 83
- Penman, Bridget S., Gandon, Sylvain, 2020. Adaptive immunity selects against malaria infection blocking mutations. PLOS Computational Biology, 16 (10)
- Keeling, Matt J., Tildesley, Michael J., Atkins, Benjamin D., Penman, Bridget S., Southall, Emma, Guyver-Fletcher, Glen, Holmes, Alexander, McKimm, Hector, Gorsich, Erin E., Hill, Edward M., Dyson, Louise, 2020. The impact of school reopening on the spread of COVID-19 in England. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences
Thompson, Craig P., Grayson, Nicholas E., Paton, Robert S., Bolton, Jai S., Lourenço, José, Penman, Bridget S., Lee, Lian N., Odon, Valerie, Mongkolsapaya, Juthathip, Chinnakannan, Senthil, Dejnirattisai, Wanwisa, Edmans, Matthew, Fyfe, Alex, Imlach, Carol, Kooblall, Kreepa, Lim, Nicholas, Liu, Chang, López-Camacho, César, McInally, Carol, McNaughton, Anna L. et al (Select to open full list), 2020.
- Spensley, Katrina J., Wikramaratna, Paul S., Penman, Bridget S., Walker, Andrew, Smith, Adrian L., Pybus, Oliver G., Jean, Létitia, Gupta, Sunetra, Lourenço, José, 2019. Reverse immunodynamics : a new method for identifying targets of protective immunity. Scientific Reports, 9
- Hockham, Carinna, Ekwattanakit, Supachai, Bhatt, Samir, Penman, Bridget S., Gupta, Sunetra, Viprakasit, Vip, Piel, Frédéric B, 2019. Estimating the burden of a-thalassaemia in Thailand using a comprehensive prevalence database for Southeast Asia. eLife, 8
- Penman, Bridget S., Gupta, Sunetra, 2018. Detecting signatures of past pathogen selection on human HLA loci : are there needles in the haystack?. Parasitology, 145 (6), pp. 731-739
- Hockham , C., Bhatt, S., Colah, R., Mukherjee, M. B., Penman, Bridget S., Gupta, S., Piel, F. B., 2018. The spatial epidemiology of sickle-cell anaemia in India. Scientific Reports, 8
- Penman, Bridget S., Gupta, S., Shanks, G. D., 2017. Rapid mortality transition of Pacific Islands in the 19th century. Epidemiology and Infection, 145 (1), pp. 1-11
- Tusco, Radu, Jacomin, Anne-Claire, Jain, Ashish, Penman, Bridget S., Bowitz Larsen, Kenneth, Johansen, Terje, Nezis, Ioannis P., 2017. Kenny mediates selective autophagic degradation of the IKK complex to control innate immune responses. Nature Communications, 8
- Penman, Bridget S., Moffett, Ashley, Chazara, Olympe, Gupta, Sunetra, Parham, Peter, 2016. Reproduction, infection and killer-cell immunoglobulin-like receptor haplotype evolution. Immunogenetics, 68 (10), pp. 755-764
- Gonçalves, Bronner P., Gupta, Sunetra, Penman, Bridget S., 2016. Sickle haemoglobin, haemoglobin C and malaria mortality feedbacks. Malaria Journal, 15 (1), pp. 1-7
- Penman, Bridget S., Gupta, Sunetra, Weatherall, David J., 2015. Epistasis and the sensitivity of phenotypic screens for beta thalassaemia. British Journal of Haematology, 169 (1), pp. 117-128
- Hockham, Carinna, Piel, Frédéric B., Gupta, Sunetra, Penman, Bridget S., 2015. Understanding the contrasting spatial haplotype patterns of malaria-protective ß-globin polymorphisms. Infection, Genetics and Evolution, 36, pp. 174-183
- Levin, Bruce R., Watkins, Eleanor R., Penman, Bridget S., Lourenço, José, Buckee, Caroline O., Maiden, Martin C. J., Gupta, Sunetra, 2015. Vaccination drives changes in metabolic and virulence profiles of Streptococcus pneumoniae. PLoS Pathogens, 11 (7)
- Penman, Bridget S., Ashby, B., Buckee, C. O., Gupta, S., 2013. Pathogen selection drives nonoverlapping associations between HLA loci. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 110 (48), pp. 19645-19650
- Penman, Bridget S., Gupta, Sunetra, Buckee, Caroline O., 2012. The emergence and maintenance of sickle cell hotspots in the Mediterranean. Infection, Genetics and Evolution, 12 (7), pp. 1543-1550
- Penman, Bridget S., Buckee, Caroline, Gupta, Sunetra, Nee, Sean, 2010. Genome-wide association studies in Plasmodium species. BMC Biology, 8 (1)
- Penman, Bridget S., Pybus, Oliver G., Weatherall, David J., Gupta, Sunetra, 2009. Epistatic interactions between genetic disorders of hemoglobin can explain why the sickle-cell gene is uncommon in the Mediterranean. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 106 (50), pp. 21242-21246
- Penman, Bridget S., Gupta, Sunetra, 2008. Evolution of virulence in malaria. Journal of Biology, 7 (6)
- Buckee, C. O., Jolley, K. A., Recker, M., Penman, Bridget S., Kriz, P., Gupta, S., Maiden, M. C. J., 2008. Role of selection in the emergence of lineages and the evolution of virulence in Neisseria meningitidis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 105 (39), pp. 15082-15087
- Williams, Thomas N., Mwangi, Tabitha W., Wambua, Sammy, Peto, Timothy E. A., Weatherall, David J., Gupta, Sunetra, Recker, Mario, Penman, Bridget S., Uyoga, Sophie, Macharia, Alex, Mwacharo, Jedidah K., Snow, Robert W., Marsh, Kevin., 2005. Negative epistasis between the malaria-protective effects of a+-thalassemia and the sickle cell trait. Nature Genetics, 37 (11), pp. 1253-1257