Dr Elizabeth Fullam
Sir Henry Dale Fellow
Phone: 024 765 74239
Microbiology & Infectious Disease
Warwick Centres and GRPs
Warwick Antimicrobial Interdisciplinary Centre (WAMIC)
Warwick Integrative Synthetic Biology (WISB) Centre
Vacancies and Opportunities
For PhD and postdoctoral opportunities, and interest in potential collaborations, please contact me at the above email address.
Tuberculosis (TB), caused by Mycobacterium tuberculosis (Mtb), is the leading cause of death world-wide from a bacterial pathogen, with ~1.5 million deaths from TB infection and ~10 million new TB cases reported in 2020. An escalation of drug-resistant strains of Mtb has jeopardised progress to control the TB epidemic and there are now untreatable forms of the disease. Significantly, the COVID-19 pandemic has setback global efforts to control the global TB burden and, unfortunately, it is estimated that this will lead to an annual upsurge of TB deaths. It is clear there is an urgent need to develop new therapeutics and diagnostics against this deadly pathogen.
Mtb is an unusual and remarkably successful pathogen that has evolved highly effective tactics to survive in the human body for decades. However we still do not know which energy sources Mtb ‘eats’ and can access to survive and thrive. Specifically, we do not know which sugars are available for Mtb to scavenge as a nutrient source or the mechanisms by which they are transported and then used.
The broad aim of our research group is to use a multidisciplinary approach, using chemistry, biochemistry and microbiology techniques, to decipher which sugars Mtb uses, the mechanisms of sugar capture and transport and how Mtb modifies its biology and ability to cause infection when its access to sugars is altered. We envisage that shedding light on Mtb’s ‘sweet tooth’ will reveal new mechanisms that can be targeted in the quest for novel strategies and interventions to thwart this deadly disease and improve human health.
For a full list of publications, see WRAP
- Sir Henry Dale Fellow, School of Life Sciences, University of Warwick, UK
- Leverhulme Trust Early Career Fellow, School of Life Sciences, University of Warwick, UK
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, School of Biosciences, University of Birmingham, UK,
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Global Health Institute, EPFL, Switzerland.
- DPhil, Departments of Pharmacology and Chemistry, University of Oxford, UK
- MSc Pharmacology, Department of Pharmacology, University of Oxford, UK
- MChem Chemistry, University of Oxford, UK