Dr Guy Barker
Phone: 024 765 75135
Plant & Agricultural Biosciences
Quantitative, Systems & Engineering Biology
Warwick Centres and GRPs
Innovative Manufacturing & Future Materials
Vacancies and Opportunities
For PhD and postdoctoral opportunities, and interest in potential collaborations, please contact me at the above email address.
My main research interest are focused on vegetable crop improvement and increasing sustainability. My approach includes the use of comparative genomics and genome organisation including exploring the genes and mechanisms underlying quality and other traits related to health and wellbeing. I am also interested in the development of the bioeconomy and have ongoing research into developing novel approaches for the recovery of bio-energy from ligno-cellulolytic waste. As lead for the DEFRA funded Vegetable Genetic Improvement Network we interact closely with the horticultural industry developing solutions to key issues.
Public communication is essential part of our role, and I am keen to ensure interactions with the public to disseminate research findings rapidly. Recent events and public articles include:
Public engagement and dissemination of findings
The Vegetables of Christmas Future
Theory to Field - Vegetable GIN solutions
Research: Technical Summary
The VeGIN project takes a collaborative approach to ensure that the expertise needed to address the wide range of problems faced by the industry can be addressed. A key approach is utilising diversity within the gene pool to understand gene expression and regulation of biodiversity. This includes the use of next generation sequencing using different platforms and the interpretation of the data generated. I have used this approach widely to collaboratively address topics such as discoloration in lettuce , virus resistance and crop domestication.
I am also developing a novel approach for the recovery of bio-energy from ligno-cellulolytic waste using fungi.
For a full list of publications, see WRAP
- 2020 - Date: Reader School of Life Sciences, UoW
- 2016 - Date: Co Lead Innovative Manufacturing GRP, UoW
- 2012 - 2016: Senior Tutor, School of Life Sciences, UoW
- 2010 - 2012: Course Director Biochemistry, Life Sciences, UoW
- 2009 - Date: Associate Professor UoW
- 2007 - 2009: Assistant Professor UoW
- 2007 - Date: Director Genomics Laboratory, UoW
- 2000 - 2003: Research leader, Horticulture Research International
- 1995 - 2000: Postdoctoral fellow WTCEID, University of Oxford
- 1990 - 1995: Postdoctoral researcher Imperial College of Science, Technology & Medicine.
- 1986 - 1990: Ph.D, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine
- 1982 - 1986: B.Sc. Hons, University of Aberdeen