Tauopathies such as Alzheimer's Disease are one of the most serious diseases facing our ageing population. We are utilising the powerful genetic abilities of the fruitfly, Drosophila, to model tauopathies and discover novel genetic and pharmacological intervention strategies to ameliorate tau mediated neuronal death.
We have a long standing interest also in how identified neural networks are formed within the complexities of a large nervous system. To do this we are using , Drosophila, to study an amenable neural network, the giant fibre system.
The giant fibre system mediates the light-off escape reflex in the fly. (see Buzz)
We have developed enhancer-trap markers to follow the development of this neural network through embryogenesis, larval and pupal life.
In addition we use expression systems to disrupt the neural network and ask the physiological consequences of such manipulations in vivo.
We are currently interested in studying the function of a number of genes we have isolated that are expressed within the circuit.
B.Sc (Hons) Physiology and Biochemistry 1982 University of Reading
Ph.D. Bacterial Genetics 1986 Cranfield University
- Karikari, Thomas K., Nagel, David A., Grainger, Alastair, Clarke-Bland, Charlotte, Crowe, James, Hill, Eric J., Moffat, Kevin G., 2019. Distinct conformations, aggregation and cellular internalization of different tau strains. Frontiers in Cellular Neuroscience, 13
- Karikari, Thomas K., Nagel, David A., Grainger, Alastair, Clarke-Bland, Charlotte, Hill, Eric J., Moffat, Kevin G., 2019. Preparation of stable tau oligomers for cellular and biochemical studies. Analytical Biochemistry, 566, pp. 67-74
- Hill, Emily, Karikaria, Thomas K., Moffat, Kevin G., Richardson, Magnus J. E., Wall, Mark J., 2019. Introduction of tau oligomers into cortical neurons alters action potential dynamics and disrupts synaptic transmission and plasticity. eNeuro, 6 (5), pp. 0166-
- Galasso, Alessia, Cameron, Charles S., Frenguelli, Bruno G., Moffat, Kevin G., 2017. An AMPK-dependent regulatory pathway in tau-mediated toxicity. Biology Open, 6 (10), pp. 1434-1444
- Karikari, Thomas K., Turner, Alexandra, Stass, Robert, Lee, Leonie C.Y., Wilson, Bethany, Nagel, David A., Hill, Eric J., Moffat, Kevin G., 2016. Expression and purification of tau protein and its frontotemporal dementia variants using a cleavable histidine tag. Protein Expression and Purification, 130, pp. 44-54
- Eddison, Mark, Guarnieri, Douglas J., Cheng, Ling, Liu, Che-Hsiung, Moffat, Kevin G., Davis, Graeme, Ph. D., Heberlein, Ulrike, 2011. arouser reveals a role for synapse number in the regulation of ethanol sensitivity. Neuron, Vol.70 (No.5), pp. 979-990
- Pawar, Vidya, De, Antara, Briggs, Laura, Omar, Mahmoud M., Sweeney, Sean T., Lord, Mike, Roberts, L. M. (Lynne M.), Spooner, Robert A., Moffat, Kevin G., 2011. RNAi screening of Drosophila (Sophophora) melanogaster S2 cells for ricin sensitivity and resistance. Journal of Biomolecular Screening, Vol.16 (No.4), pp. 436-442
- Price, Nigel T., Jackson, Vicky N., Müller, Jürgen, Moffat, Kevin G., Matthews, Karen L., Orton, Tim, Zammit, Victor A., 2010. Alternative exon usage in the single CPT1 gene of Drosophila generates functional diversity in the kinetic properties of the enzyme. Differential expression of alternatively spliced variants in Drosophila tissues. Journal of Biological Chemistry, Vol.285 (No.11), pp. 7857-7865
- Muraro, Nara I., Weston, Andrew J., Gerber, Andre P., Luschnig, Stefan, Moffat, Kevin G., Baines, Richard A., 2008. Pumilio binds para mRNA and requires nanos and brat to regulate sodium current in drosophila motoneurons. Journal of Neuroscience, Vol.28 (No.9), pp. 2099-2109
- Allen, M. J., Drummond, J. A., Sweetman, D. J., Moffat, Kevin G., 2007. Analysis of two P-element enhancer-trap insertion lines that show expression in the giant fibre neuron of Drosophila melanogaster. Genes, Brain and Behavior, Vol.6 (No.4), pp. 347-358
- Reeve, Simon, Carhan, Ahmet, Dee, Chris T., Moffat, Kevin G., 2007. slowmo is required for Drosophila germline proliferation. Genesis: The Journal of Genetics and Development, Vol.45 (No.2), pp. 66-75
- Allen, Stuart C. H., Moore, Katherine A. H., Marsden, Catherine J., Fülöp, Vilmos, Moffat, Kevin G., Lord, Mike, Ladds, Graham, Roberts, L. M. (Lynne M.), 2007. The isolation and characterisation of temperature-dependent Ricin A chain molecules in Saccharomyces cerevisiae.. FEBS Journal, Vol.274 (No.21), pp. 5586-5599
- Allen, Stuart C. H., Moore, Katherine A. H., Marsden, Catherine J., Fülöp, Vilmos, Moffat, Kevin G., Lord, Mike, Ladds, Graham, Roberts, L. M. (Lynne M.), 2007. The isolation and characterization of temperature-dependent ricin A chain molecules in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. FEBS JOURNAL, 274 (21), pp. 5586-5599
- Muraro, Nara I., Moffat, Kevin G., 2006. Down-regulation of torp4a, encoding the Drosophila homologue of TorsinA, results in increased neuronal degeneration. JOURNAL OF NEUROBIOLOGY, 66 (12), pp. 1338-1353
- Marrus, Scott B., Portman, Scott L., Allen, Marcus James, Moffat, Kevin G., DiAntonio, Aaron, 2004. Differential localization of glutamate receptor subunits at the drosophila neuromuscular junction. Journal of Neuroscience, Vol.24 (No.6), pp. 1406-1415
- Carhan, Ahmet, Reeve, Simon, Dee, Chris T., Baines, Richard A., Moffat, Kevin G., 2004. Mutation in slowmo causes defects in Drosophila larval locomotor behaviour. INVERTEBRATE NEUROSCIENCE, 5 (2), pp. 65-75
- Mee, Christopher J., Pym, Edward C. G., Moffat, Kevin G., Baines, Richard A., 2004. Regulation of neuronal excitability through pumilio-dependent control of a sodium channel gene. Journal of Neuroscience, Vol.24 (No.40), pp. 8695-8703
- Allen, Marcus James, Shan, Xiaoliang, Caruccio, Phyllis, Froggett, Stephan J., Moffat, Kevin G., Murphey, R. K., 1999. Targeted expression of truncated glued disrupts giant fiber synapse formation in Drosophila. Journal of Neuroscience, Vol.19 (No.21), pp. 9374-9384
- Phelan, Pauline, Nakagawa, Madoka, Wilkin, Marian B., Moffat, Kevin G., O'Kane, Cahir J., Bacon, J. P. (Jonathan P.), 1996. Mutations in shaking-B prevent electrical synapse formation in the Drosophila giant fiber system. Journal of Neuroscience, Vol.16 (No.3), pp. 1101-1113
- Moffat, Kevin G., 2008. Drosophila genetics for the analysis of neurobiological disease.. In Drosophila: a toolbox for the study of neurodegenerative disease, New York; Abingdon, Taylor & Francis Group, pp. 9-24
- Moffat, Kevin G., Patel, S., Hultén, Maj A., 2009. Trisomy21, Down Syndrome and the origin of Alzheimer's disease. British Human Genetics Conference, University of Warwick, England, Aug 31 - Sep 02 2009, Published in Journal of Medical Genetics, pp. S22-S22
- De, Antara, Baines, Richard A., Moffat, Kevin G., 2006. Pumilio: Role in regulation of neuronal excitability in Drosophila. JOURNAL OF NEUROGENETICS, pp. 109-110
- Muraro, Nara I., Weston, Andrew, De, Antara, Moffat, Kevin G., Baines, Richard A., 2006. Role of Pumilio, nanos, and brain tumor in the regulation of the sodium channel encoded by paralytic. JOURNAL OF NEUROGENETICS, pp. 183-184
- Wright, Duncan E., Moffat, Kevin G., Baines, Richard A., 2006. The impact of alternative splicing on the properties of the paralytic voltage-gated sodium channel. JOURNAL OF NEUROGENETICS, pp. 261-262
- Caudron, Q., Lyn-Adams, Ceri Louise, Aston, John A. D., Frenguelli, Bruno G., Moffat, Kevin G., 2010. Quantitative assessment of ommatidial distortion in Drosophila melanogaster : a tool to investigate genetic interactions. Journal of Neurogenetics, Informa Healthcare
- Lyn-Adams, Ceri Louise, Frenguelli, Bruno G., Moffat, Kevin G., Sutherland, Calum, 2010. Regulation of tau-dependent toxicity by brain selective/SAD kinases. Journal of Neurogenetics, Informa Healthcare
|Title||Funder||Award start||Award end|
|Alzheimers Research UK Summer Studentship - Sophie Crighton||Aston University||01 Jul 2013||09 Aug 2013|
|Drosophila melanogaster as a model for Alzheimers Disease||MRC||01 Feb 2010||31 Jan 2013|
|Investigating the Role of Drosophilia Ubiquitin Ligases in Alternative Splicing||Royal Society||01 Oct 2010||30 Sep 2012|
|Alzheimers Research Trust 2007 Studentship for Ceri Louise Lynn-Adams||Alzheimers Research UK||01 Oct 2007||30 Sep 2010|
|Cellular Intoxication by Ricin||Department of Health||01 Jan 2005||31 Dec 2007|
|The role of Torp4a in protection from Oxideative Neurodegeneration||Nuffield Foundation||18 Jul 2005||09 Sep 2005|