An MSc by Research is a practical course based on a single research project under the training and supervision of one of our Research Leaders. It will give you hands-on experience of your specialism and can be used in preparation for a PhD.
Full-time: 1 year Part-time: 2 years
- 2:ii undergraduate degree (or equivalent) in a Life Sciences related subject
- 2 satisfactory academic references
- English Language test certificate (if appropriate - IELTS 6.5 overall with no component
If you have a scholarship (or are applying for a scholarship), or if you have the finances to self-fund your MSc studies you can choose from our list of projects or contact potential supervisors to discuss developing a project.
Examples of projects in Life Sciences include:
- Molecular approaches to investigate ecological adaptation in fungi
- Developing marker technology in Parsnip (Pastinaca sativa) to improve breeding efficiency
- Modelling the population dynamics and interactions of Sclerotinia sclerotiorum
- Antimicrobial drug design: targeting the ATP dependent ligases of peptidoglycan biosynthesis
- Expression of antibiotic resistance genes in Streptomyces species; the evolution of resistance in non-clinical environments
- Structure and mechanism of the Tat protein transporter
- The role of teat lesions in mastitis in sheep: associations and risks
- Development and use of a multiplex PCR to detect common mastitis pathogens in ewe's milk