The Application Deadline for the call for applications for January to June 2020 is October 31st 2019 5 p.m. (UK time) - please note that the allocation of this time is dependent on the evaluation of a grant submitted to EPSRC in July 2019 for continuation funding as a National Research Facility.
85% of spectrometer time at the UK 850 MHz Solid-State NMR facility is allocated by a three-person Time Allocation Panel (TAP) that is independent of the Facility Executive (FE), following the principles agreed by the FE and EPSRC, in accordance with guidance provided by the FE. The remaining 15% of spectrometer time is reserved for fast-track applications, to compensate users who were unable to take up their allocated time because of instrument down-time, the Facility Manager’s designated research time, spectrometer and probe maintenance and industrial usage (paid-for confidential and urgent work). Applicants are also advised that the Nottingham DNP MAS NMR Facility provides access for dynamic nuclear polarisation (DNP) experiments at 600 MHz (note that the management and time allocation procedure of the Nottingham DNP Facility is separate from and independent of the UK 850 MHz Solid-State NMR Facility).
The application procedure involves the filling out of the online form together with the submission of a 2-page description that contains five sections:
(1) Introduction and scientific background
(2) Preliminary data obtained at lower field and/ or previous results obtained at the 850 MHz facility.
(3) Justification for the need for high-field (or other specialised facility probe capabilities).
(4) Experiments to be performed: to include a list of all samples, which probe(s) and which configuration (i.e., nuclei, required MAS frequency and nutation frequency) is/ are required, and any special experimental conditions (e.g., high or low temperature). Clearly indicate the number of days requested IN BOLD for each experiment or set of experiments. Ensure that the sum equals the total number of days requested as stated on the online form.
(5) Additional optional information: If the PI wishes (note it is not a requirement), he/she may indicate in the pdf description (within the 2 page limit): (i) an order of prioritisation, where the PI is submitting more than one application; (ii) the names and experience of those who would be carrying out the experiments at the facility; (iii) information as to why there has to date been limited or no outputs from previous time allocations (e.g., details of submitted manuscripts currently under review); (iv) where the PI has received allocated days in this TAP round for a RCUK funded grant, an explanation of how this project differs to the funded time on that RCUK grant.
Applications that are NOT formatted in the above required fashion and do NOT contain the stated information will NOT be considered by the Time Allocation Panel.
Applications are invited from UK academics who are eligible to apply for Research Council funding or researchers of similar standing based in industry.
Each applicant can request (as PI) up to a maximum of 28 days time. Within this limit, each applicant can request time for more than one project – note that a separate application must be submitted for each distinct project.
Note that reasonable travel and accommodation costs associated with the use of the facility will be paid to academic users.
Applications will be acknowledged by an automatic email at the time of application, and subsequently within 1 week after the application deadline (if you don't receive either or both of these acknowledgments, please contact the facility manager to check safe receipt of your application).
Applicants will be informed of their time allocation following the meeting of the time allocation panel, i.e., we expect to inform you end May or early June (for the April 30th call) or end November or early December (for the October 31st call). At this stage, you will be given one week’s notice to indicate dates when you are not able to use your allocation and also to specify if you prefer to have your time as one slot or broken up into separate slots. (If you know that you will away end May or early June (for the April 30th call) or end November or early December (for the October 31st call), please inform the facility manager in advance of your availability.) You will then be informed of your allocated days. At this stage, the facility has little flexibility (and is under no obligation) to change your allocated days, hence we emphasise that you must tell us your availability at the requested time.
Time for February to July 2010 has been allocated (December 1st 2009 call: Round 1)
Time for August 2010 to January 2011 has been allocated (May 31st 2010 call: Round 2)
Time for February to July 2011 has been allocated (November 30th 2010 call: Round 3)
Time for August 2011 to January 2012 has been allocated (May 31st 2011 call: Round 4)
Time for February to July 2012 has been allocated (November 30th 2011 call: Round 5)
Time for August 2012 to January 2013 has been allocated (May 31st 2012 call: Round 6)
Time for February to July 2013 has been allocated (November 30th 2012 call: Round 7)
Time for August 2013 to January 2014 has been allocated (May 31st 2013 call: Round 8)
Time for February to July 2014 has been allocated (November 30th 2013 call: round 9)
Time for August 2014 to January 2015 has been allocated (May 31st 2014 call: round 10)
Time for February 2015 to 15th July 2015 has been allocated (November 30th 2014 call: round 11)
Time for 15th July to 31st December 2015 has been allocated (May 15th 2015 call: round 12)
Time for January to June 2016 has been allocated (October 31st 2015 call: round 13)
Time for July to December 2016 has been allocated (April 30th 2016 call: round 14)
Time for January to June 2017 has been allocated (October 31st 2016 call: round 15)
Time for July to December 2017 has been allocated (April 30th 2017 call: round 16)
Time for January to June 2018 has been allocated (October 31st 2017 call: round 17)
Time for July to December 2018 has been allocated (April 30th 2018 call: round 18)
Time for January to June 2019 has been allocated (October 31st 2018 call: round 19)