The Application Deadline for call for applications for February 2012 to July 2012 (6 months) was November 30th 2011 5 p.m. (UK time)
The Application Deadline for call for applications for August 2012 to January 2013 (6 months) is May 31st 2012 5 p.m. (UK time)
The following information is for the November 30th 2011 call (any revisions for the May 31st 2012 call will be made in early April 2012)
85% of spectrometer time at the UK 850 MHz Solid-State NMR facility is allocated by a three-person Time Allocation Panel (TAP) that is independent of the National Management Committee (NMC), following the principles agreed by the National Management Committee (NMC) and EPSRC, in accordance with guidance provided by the NMC. The remaining 15% of spectrometer time is reserved for fast-track applications, to compensate users who were unable to take up their allocated time because of instrument down-time, the Facility Manager’s designated research time, spectrometer and probe maintenance, measurements referred from the EPSRC solid-state NMR service and industrial usage (paid-for confidential and urgent work).
The application procedure involves the filling out of the online form together with the submission of a 2-page description that contains five sections:
(1) Introduction and scientific background
(2) Preliminary data obtained at lower field and/ or previous results obtained at the 850 MHz facility.
(3) Justification for the need for high-field (or other specialised facility probe capabilities).
(4) Experiments to be performed: to include a list of all samples, which probe(s) and which configuration (i.e., nuclei, required MAS frequency and nutation frequency) is/ are required, and any special experimental conditions (e.g., high or low temperature). Clearly indicate the number of days requested IN BOLD for each experiment or set of experiments. Ensure that the sum equals the total number of days requested as stated on the online form.
(5) Additional optional information: If the PI wishes (note it is not a requirement), he/she may indicate in the pdf description (within the 2 page limit): (i) an order of prioritisation, where the PI is submitting more than one application; (ii) the names and experience of those who would be carrying out the experiments at the facility.
Applications that are NOT formatted in the above required fashion and do NOT contain the stated information will NOT be considered by the Time Allocation Panel.
Applications are invited from UK academics who are eligible to apply for Research Council funding or researchers of similar standing based in industry.
Each applicant can request (as PI) up to a maximum of 28 days time. Within this limit, each applicant can request time for more than one project – note that a separate application must be submitted for each distinct project.
Note that reasonable travel and accommodation costs associated with the use of the facility will be paid to academic users.
Applications will be acknowledged by an automatic email at the time of application, and subsequently within 1 week after the application deadline (if you don't receive either or both of these acknowledgments, please contact the facility manager to check safe receipt of your application).
Applicants will be informed of their time allocation following the meeting of the time allocation panel, i.e., we expect to inform you end June or early July. At this stage, you will be given one week’s notice to indicate dates when you are not able to use your allocation and also to specify if you prefer to have your time as one slot or broken up into separate slots. (If you know that you will away end June or early July, please inform the facility manager in advance of your availability.) You will then be informed of your allocated days. At this stage, the facility has little flexibility (and is under no obligation) to change your allocated days, hence we emphasise that you must tell us your availability at the requested time.
Time for February to July 2010 has been allocated (December 1st 2009 call: Round 1)
Time for August 2010 to February 2011 has been allocated (May 31st 2010 call: Round 2)
Time for February to July 2011 has been allocated (November 30th 2010 call: Round 3)
Time for August 2011 to February 2012 has been allocated (May 31st 2011 call: Round 4)
Time for February to July 2012 has been allocated (November 30th 2011 call: Round 5)