Skip to main content Skip to navigation

6: Student Support

Pastoral Care and Welfare

There are various sources of student support and guidance available to you within the Department and the University, but the one that you might find most easily accessible is the pastoral care system within the Department.

In the Department of Economics, there is a network of Personal Tutors (PT), and Year Tutors (YT), headed by the Director of Academic and Pastoral Support, who works under the overall responsibility of the Director of Undergraduate Studies. Each of these roles carries specific responsibilities. We also have a Welfare Officer for all students based in the Department of Economics.

The Director of Academic and Pastoral Support is Dr. Christian Soegaard and your Year Tutor is Dr. Tom Martin. The Welfare Officer is Ann Simper who is also the UG Coordinator and is located in the UG office in S0.98.

Personal Tutor

The Diploma Course Director is your Personal Tutor (PT) and you can turn to them for confidential advice regarding personal or academic matters. Your Personal Tutor is an important contact with the Department and University.

Your Personal Tutor is there to help you when things are not going as well as you would like. Perhaps you have concerns about your academic work or personal development. However, your Personal Tutor is also there to talk with you when things are going well! You might like to arrange an appointment with your Personal Tutor to discuss some of the following things:

  • How your modules are progressing - which subjects you enjoy and which you find more challenging, and prioritising your workload.
  • Changing modules.
  • Gaining feedback on your academic progress and areas that can be improved.
  • Gaining feedback on your personal development, such as skills that you should develop.
  • Your non-academic achievements to help your tutor write your reference.
  • Concerns about application forms for internships/jobs.
  • Asking about references and how to request them.
  • Gaining advice on further study.

It is important that you know your Personal Tutor and that they know you, as this will enable them to provide you with much more effective feedback on your academic and personal development. By discussing your personal and academic development, as well as your future career plans, your Personal Tutor will be in a much better position to write you a reference and you will be in a stronger position having benefited from their expert feedback and advice. Your Personal Tutor will respect any confidences (subject to University guidelines on confidentiality).

Year Tutor

The main responsibility of the Year Tutor is to act in the role of a senior tutor for their respective year group. Thus the role of each of the Year Tutors will be based on the following responsibilities:

  • Any medical or personal circumstances that are affecting your ability to study and/or engage in your degree course. Any evidence should be submitted via the mitigating circumstances form.
  • Any additional support that you may require from University Support Services.
  • Any concerns you have over your attendance.
  • Any issues relating to Departmental or University rules and regulations.
  • Temporary or Permanent Withdrawal queries.
  • Any problems relating to plagiarism.
  • Concerns that you may not wish to raise with your Personal Tutor.

In addition to this, the Year Tutor may ask to meet with you if the Department or University has concerns about your attendance or engagement on your degree course; in particular if you are missing too many Monitoring Points. The Director of Undergraduate Studies has overall responsibility for the academic progress of all Undergraduate Students and the Director of Academic and Pastoral Support and the Year Tutors will work with him/her and be involved pro-actively in making contact with students who appear to be experiencing difficulties.

Year Tutors may represent you in University processes, such as in the investigation of plagiarism, other sorts of cheating and in investigating or disciplinary committees, although these cases may be referred to the Director of Academic and Pastoral Support in more severe cases.

Director of Academic and Pastoral Support

Under the guidance of the Director of Undergraduate Studies, the Director of Academic and Pastoral Support (DAPS) has overall responsibility for the operation and design of the Personal Tutor system in Economics. Personal Tutors and Year Tutors may defer cases needing higher-level support, particularly those in which advocacy or representation at a University committee are warranted, to the Director of Academic and Pastoral Support. The Director of Academic and Pastoral Support is also the convenor and member of the Student-Staff Liaison Committee (SSLC).

Another aspect of their role is to review students with poor attendance or study records. Where this — or other sources of Department information — identifies cases of students with poor attendance records or with other apparent study problems, the relevant Year Tutor will have the responsibility of contacting you to suggest a review meeting. You might choose to involve the Personal Tutor in this discussion.

Find out more about the Director of Academic and Pastoral Support at the DAPS webpages.

Daily drop-in sessions and the Welfare Officer

Your wellbeing is important to us and we are always here to help you. We have introduced daily Wellbeing Drop-in sessions where you are welcome to call by and speak with one of the members of our Academic and Pastoral Support team. The drop-in sessions are daily between 10-11am and 2-3pm in Room S0.97. Our Welfare Officer - Ann Simper - will also be holding drop-in sessions twice per week. If there is something troubling you, or hindering you from focusing on your studies please do make contact. One of the members of the team will be able to signpost you to the appropriate person or service.

You do not need to book an appointment, but can just drop in. However, outside of these hours you can find Ann in the Undergraduate Office (S0.98) and she will be happy to help you, as always.

Please note this is not a replacement for attending Personal Tutor meetings.

The University has a very detailed webpage describing how Warwick operates its welfare system that you also may wish to access:

Wellbeing Support Services

Additional Departmental support

If you are unsure about something, it is always best to talk to someone about it. There are a range of different people available to have such a conversation with, depending on your situation and who you feel comfortable talking to in the first instance.

Academic Lecturers

The lecturers that you see within your modules are there to provide you with guidance on their subject area. You may only see them for one to two hours per week within a large lecture. However, every member of academic staff has two advice and feedback hours per week. You should make use of these as a means of clarifying any areas of confusion within previous lectures or to discuss future topics. You can also use them to discuss areas that you both find interesting. You should always ensure you are prepared for your lecturer’s advice and feedback hours.

You shouldn’t be using them as a means of asking the lecturer to repeat the lecture, but should attend them with specific questions or areas of confusion that you would like clarification on.

Module Support and Feedback Class Tutors

For core modules you will have small module Support and Feedback classes with tutors, who go over topics within your module in much more detail than in lectures. These are essentially a feedback session and should be used as such. You are in much smaller groups than in lectures, so this is a good opportunity to discuss questions and concepts and receive feedback on your approach to problems and understanding key concepts. These tutors also have advice and feedback hours every week during term time. It is important that you take the opportunity now to clarify any areas of confusion and develop your understanding of the topics by further reading and discussion with your peers and tutors.

Student-Staff Liaison Committee (SSLC)

SSLCs are a good source of support to raise issues affecting teaching, learning and student support. For further information, please see section 2 in this Handbook (Feedback).

Other on-campus support services

There is a comprehensive network of support and welfare services available to support you in times of difficulty. There is often more than one service which may be able to help, and services work together to ensure that any problems are dealt with swiftly and effectively.

Student Support acts as a hub for all the different support services. You can visit them if you have a problem, query or difficulty, but aren’t quite sure who can help. Student Support will help where they can and refer you on to other more specialised services where relevant. The Student Support website is at:

More details on the services below, along with others available to you, can be found at

The Dean of Students and the Faculty Senior Tutor

The Dean of Students and the Faculty Senior Tutor and colleagues in Student Support work closely together to help students in times of need. If you need help during your time at Warwick, it is likely that one of them will be able to help. The Dean of Students' Office also provides help and advice to members of academic staff who are Personal Tutors and is responsible for the University's Personal Tutoring system.

For more information about the work of the Dean of Students' Office please visit their website.

The University Counselling Service

The University Counselling Service provides an opportunity for all students at any level and at any time of study at the University of Warwick to access professional therapeutic counselling so that you may better develop and fulfil your personal, academic and professional potential. There are a wide variety of services, including individual counselling, group sessions, workshops and email counselling.

t: +44 (0)24 7652 3761 or internal extension 23761 and speak to one of the University Counselling Service Administrators.

If you require out-of-hours emergency support please contact the Security Gatehouse on internal extension 22083.

Disability Services

Disability Services work to help you with disabilities, such as hearing and visual impairments, dyslexia, dyspraxia, dyscalculia, AD(H)D, dysgraphia, mobility impairments, Autistic Spectrum Disorders, ‘unseen’ disabilities such as asthma, epilepsy and diabetes and any other conditions to address barriers to study.

Disability Services can help make reasonable adjustments to facilitate study and provide advice and specialist services to you.

t: +44 (0)24 7615 0641 or internal extension 50641

The Residential Life Team

If you have accommodation on campus you are provided with a network of support staff called the Residential Life Team. The Residential Life Team work and live alongside you within the Halls of Residences and are a key part of the University’s welfare and support network. They also have responsibility for enforcing discipline on the rare occasions it is required.

In the first instance you should approach your Resident Tutor in your accommodation. If you cannot get hold of them, you an contact the central Residential Life Team:

t: +44 (0)24 7652 4704 or internal extension 24704

The Chaplaincy

The Chaplaincy provides pastoral and spiritual care to all members of the University community, of all faiths and none. They provide a space for worship and quiet reflection and the leadership of religious worship. The Chaplaincy is home to the Anglican, Roman Catholic, Free Church, Islamic and Jewish chaplains, who are always glad to meet students socially and pastorally. The University also has a dedicated Islamic Prayer Hall immediately adjacent to the Chaplaincy building.

t: +44 (0)24 7652 3519 or internal extension 23519

The University Mental Health Co-ordinators

The Mental Health Coordinators are available to provide you with mental health difficulties with advice, information and support as needed to facilitate academic work and participation in University life. All communication is confidential and informal. You are encouraged to disclose your mental health issues either at enrolment or at any time afterwards so that they can actively take part in how best to manage any difficulties that may arise.

To arrange an appointment with a Mental Health Co-ordinator, please visit their website and complete the appointment request form online:

The Health Centre

If you are resident on campus you should register with the University Health Centre. The Health Centre provides primary health care GP services to registered patients, two medical practices with both male and female doctors, nurse practitioners and practice nurses, sexual health clinics, travel clinics and immunisation facilities.

t: +44 (0)24 7652 4888 or internal extension 24888

The Students’ Union Advice and Welfare Service

This service offers a range of independent advice and guidance, in particular in housing law and finance/social security. It also offers advice in other areas including academic problems.

t: +44 (0)24 7657 2824 or internal extension 72824

The Student Funding Team

The Student Funding Team offers advice and guidance on all aspects of financial support.

t: +44 (0)24 7615 0096 or internal extension 50096

The Office for Global Engagement

The International Student Office has a team of qualified advisers to assist you on all immigration and related matters (including student visas, travel overseas and post-study work), working closely with other University and Students’ Union services to offer induction and generalist support with welfare matters and crises. There are also regional specialists and include a team who administer student exchange/study abroad programmes.




The University Security Team

The Security Team exists to support the University’s overall aims by ensuring as far as possible a safe, secure and friendly environment for students, staff and visitors, free from injury, personal threat, damage and theft.

t: Emergency internal system 999
t: +44 (0)24 7652 2083 or internal extension 22083

The University Library

The main Library provides you with a wide range of resources to support you with your studies, including printed and electronic books, journals and subject databases. These will all help you find research in your area.

Here are a few quick tips to help you get started in the Library:

  • Use the Get Started online Library orientation programme to find out how to use the library effectively.
  • Use the Library Catalogue to find what you need, using the “Library Search” textbox on the Library home page. The Catalogue contains details of the books and journals (print and electronic) held by the Library.
  • Most electronic resources are available from any PC with internet access, so you can use them from home. Usually, you’ll need your University username and password (the one you use to login to a PC on campus) to access these.
  • Use My Library Account to renew and reserve items via the internet. You will find the link to your Library Account near the top of the Library home page.
  • The Library webpages for Economics contain high-quality information relevant to your area of study. A good way to get started on a topic is to use Key Electronic Resources for Economics. The Library also provides useful online tutorials for Economics students and a guide to databases.
  • DataStream is one of the main sources for finding macroeconomic time series or data on equity markets, bonds, futures, exchange rates and interest rates. DataStream is only available at a dedicated PC on Floor 1 in the Library. At busy times you may need to book to use the terminal. You will also find a very wide range of international macroeconomic time series, plus UK social survey data, on the UK Data Service (UKDS), available online through the Library’s list of databases.
  • If you are seeking a useful book or journal article that Warwick does not have, we can often obtain it for you from another library. The Article Reach scheme allows you to obtain journal articles from some other libraries. Document Supply is a more comprehensive scheme for borrowing books or obtaining articles from academic and national libraries in the UK. Collect a form from the Library or download it from the Document Supply section of the website, under ‘Using the Library’, and obtain your supervisor’s signature.
  • If you are having trouble finding what you need, there is an Economics Academic Support Librarian to help you. Library contact details appear below.
  • The Learning Grid, which is part of the Library, is located in University House. The Learning Grid is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week and offers a range of resources, including access to IT facilities and a collection of reference-only key textbooks. There are also Learning Grids in the Rootes Building and in the Town Hall in Leamington Spa, and a postgraduate support facility called the Postgraduate Hub in Senate House (see following information).

Contacting the Library

General Enquiries

The Library help desk is available from 8.30 am to 9.30 pm, seven days a week.

t: +44 (0)24 7652 2026

Economics Enquiries

Your Academic Support Librarian is happy to help you find the information you need for your research, show you how to use specific resources, or discuss any other issues you might have.

Helen Riley can be contacted by email or telephone, 9.00am - 5.30pm Monday to Thursday, and 9.00am - 4.30pm on Fridays.

t: +44 (0)24 7657 2712

The general Library email address may also be used and your enquiry will be dealt with by Academic Support colleagues, or passed on to the specialist.

Information Technology (IT) Services

Your email address

Once you have registered with IT Services and your account has been activated you will have an email address which is usually in the format: or

This address will be your ‘official’ University email address which we will use for all email communications. It will be your responsibility to ensure that you check this email account. You can access this account using the appropriate IT Services delivered applications or via webmail at

Help Desk

IT Services provide a dedicated Help Desk which you can phone, email or visit for assistance with all aspects of student computing. Further information on how to contact IT Services can be found at:

Network access from student residences

There is Wi-Fi available in all on-campus student residences.

Computer security

Any computer attached to a network is susceptible to attacks from viruses and spyware. IT Services provides free anti-virus and firewall software to help keep your computer safe:

Open access areas

There are many open access areas operated by IT Services. (You will need your University ID card to enter some of the open access areas.) The computers are all connected to the network and the internet and provide access to printers, the Library online catalogue and a wide range of software applications. All computers in open access areas run on the Windows 7 operating system (except room A0.01 — SUSE Linux). Further information can be found at:


To print from printers in the University, you will need to register your University ID card with the printing system (you only need to do this once). To do this, visit a Kyocera printer (situated on all floors in the Library and in other IT Services work areas) and swipe your University ID card against the printer card reader. Press Cancel at the PUK screen. Type in your IT Services username and password on the printer screen and press OK.

You will also need enough credit in your printing account to print to other printers in the University. You can buy printer credits online with a debit or credit card or check your credit at Any credit remaining in your printer account will be lost when you leave the University. No refund of remaining credit will be given.

Printing costs are as follows:

A4 black and white (per sheet): 5p single sided, 8p double sided
A4 colour (per sheet): 15p single sided, 28p double sided
A3 black and white (per sheet): 9p single sided, 16p double sided
A3 colour (per sheet): 30p single sided, 58p double-sided

Further details can be found at:

Microsoft Windows and Apple Mac software

The University has a wide range of software for economists. Besides generic software, such as Microsoft Office, email and web browsers, the econometric software we use includes Stata, Eviews, and SPSS. You will be given appropriate guidance on software use when the time comes. STATA is available university wide and is paid for by the Department of Economics. You will use this software extensively in EC226.

Other software which may be of particular interest to students in Economics are described below:

GiveWin (win), Maple (win/mac), Mathematica (win/mac), MATLAB (win/mac), NVIVO (win), SAS (win), Scientific Word / Workplace (win), SPSS (win/mac), S-PLUS (win), Statistics for the Terrified (win) and WinEcon (win) are all available for use. For assistance with locating and installing software, please contact the IT Services Help Desk: 

Bloomberg room

The Department has three Bloomberg Terminals in room S0.84. The Bloomberg Terminal is a computer software system which provides access to current and historical financial information on individual equities, stock market indices, fixed-income securities, currencies, commodities and futures for both international and domestic markets. It also provides company profiles and financial statements, analysts' forecasts, news on worldwide financial markets and audio and video interviews and presentations by key players in business and finance. You can book the use of one of the terminals in half hourly sessions from Monday-Thursday 9-4.30pm and Friday 9-3.30pm. Please note that there are restrictions in the amount of data you are permitted to download. This is imposed by Bloomberg and further information is provided by the terminals. You will only be able to use the terminal if yo have pre-booked online. You can book online at: 

Access to economic datasets online

The UK Data Service provides a unified point of access to data from the Economic and Social Data Service (ESDS), the Census Programme and the Secure Data Service.

ESDS gives access to the NS Databank, OECD Economic Indicators, IMF and UNIDO datasets as well as Longitudinal, Large Scale and Qualitative datasets.

CASWEB (Census Area Statistics on the Web) provides access to UK census data and associated geographical boundary data.

This website requires Athens Authentication. The first time you use these services you will be asked to register so have your Athens username and password ready.

National Statistics Online provides many UK statistics, including Census 2001 data. Registration is not required.

Software to download

It is now possible to download several of the software packages offered by IT services (including STATA). Details can be found at

Getting help

If you have general problems logging in to IT Services open access areas you should follow the procedures published for these rooms. If you have specific problems relating to the computers or printers in S2.81a you should contact the Department’s Computer Support Staff on extension 23501 or visit room S0.83.

IT Training

The ITS Training Service provides in-house training in Microsoft applications and academic software including:

  • Stata
  • SPSS
  • Mathtype
  • Mathematica
  • Matlab
  • Qualtrics

We also offer you the opportunity to study for Microsoft Office Specialist Qualifications. These qualifications are free of charge while you are studying here, so take advantage of the opportunity to develop your IT skills. Dates for specific courses can be found on the Training Service website.

Please note that if you fail to attend a course or provide adequate notice of cancellation, on two occasions, you will have any existing bookings to other courses cancelled and the right to book on further courses withdrawn.

General information

Sexual and racial harassment

The University has published guidelines on sexual and racial harassment for students at:

The University and Department are opposed to sexual and racial harassment. We will support those subjected to it and, where appropriate, will take disciplinary action against offenders. Within the Department help and support will be provided by all members of staff and specifically by your Personal Tutor, the Advisor to Women Students, The Senior Tutor and the Director of Taught Postgraduate Programmes. Outside the Department you may seek help from the University Senior Tutor, the Counselling Service, and the Students' Union Welfare Office.

If you are a victim of harassment, you may feel able to make it clear to the person causing you offence that their behaviour is unacceptable. This, in itself, may be enough to put an end to the harassment. You may not feel able to confront the person responsible for harassing you. Failure to confront the perpetrator does not amount to consent to the harassment, and you are entitled to seek assistance from those listed above or from fellow students to put an end to it.

Equal opportunities

The University of Warwick, recognising the value of sustaining and advancing a safe and welcoming learning environment, strives to treat both employees and you with respect and dignity, treat you fairly with regards to all assessments, choices and procedures, and to give you encouragement to reach your full potential. Therefore the University strives to treat all its members on the basis of merit and ability alone and aims to eliminate unjustifiable discrimination on the grounds of gender, race, nationality, ethnic or national origin, political beliefs, religious beliefs or practices, disability, marital status, family circumstances, sexual orientation, spent criminal convictions, age or any other inappropriate ground.

Health and Safety

The University has published a Health, Safety and Wellbeing policy.

The Department considers that high standards of health and safety are of paramount importance in enabling us to achieve our objectives. We view compliance with legal requirements as the minimum acceptable health and safety standard. We are committed to planning, reviewing and development of health and safety arrangements, in line with changes in health and safety legislation, in order to achieve a continual improvement in performance.

All staff, students and others working in the Department are expected to adopt a positive attitude to health and safety issues and must comply with appropriate legal requirements and University requirements as laid down in the University’s Health and Safety Policy.

Key Contacts

  • Head of Department, Professor Jeremy Smith, holds the ultimate responsibility for the health and safety within the Department.
  • Departmental Health and Safety Officer, Sarah Duggan, for maintenance, monitoring, development and implementation of health and safety policy and practices in the Department (
  • Facilities Assistant, Colin Ellis, for fire, first aid, building/facilities issues (
  • HR Officer, Lisa Hayes, for health and wellbeing (

More comprehensive information on each area of health, safety and wellbeing aspects are detailed below.

Fire, First Aid and Security

In the event of:


When fire alarms are active, the department's assembly point is at the REAR OF THE ARTS CENTRE.

Our Fire Evacuation Warden is Colin Ellis, ext. 28185, room S0.88.

Report any fire incident immediately to the University's Security Control Centre, ext. 22222 or by mobile phone 02476522222


The location of First Aid boxes are rooms S0.88 and S1.130 Our First Aiders are Colin Ellis and Sharon Yarrow.

If Emergency services are required, contact the University's Security Control Centre, ext. 22222 or by mobile phone 02476522222


Report any suspicious behaviour to the Campus Security Control Centre, ext. 22083.

Children on campus

The Department is a ‘designated work area’ and is covered by the Shops, Offices and Railway Premises Act 1963. Among other things, this means that the building is designed and equipped to be safe when used by responsible adults, but it is not a safe environment for children. When children are brought into the Department their escorts are personally responsible for ensuring that they are at all times safe and protected from the hazards of a working environment and from the behaviour of people who do not expect children to be around. Under no circumstances should children be allowed to wander unaccompanied or to operate office equipment. Members of staff are not empowered to accept responsibility for children and must not be asked to do so.

Other policies and regulations

The information in this Handbook is as accurate and up to date as we can make it. Statements of departmental policy are made in good faith and are an honest attempt to describe current practices, but they do not replace entries in university regulations. In the event of uncertainty the University Calendar and Regulations take precedence.