With effect from 1 October 2019. Last reviewed 10 November 2022.
Please read the policy in full prior to submitting a request for paid sick leave.
- This policy relates to the payment of stipends and subsequent funded extension during periods of absence from study due to ill health that are covered by medical certification.
- This policy applies to full-time and part-time research students who receive a maintenance stipend funded by the University of Warwick or a UK Research Council.
- Research students who are also members of staff of the university should follow the appropriate HR policy for staff.
- Eligible students may claim paid sick leave for periods for up to 91* calendar days (13 weeks) in any rolling 12-month period following the policy as described.
- During paid sick leave, students will receive stipend payments at their current rate from their current source of funding. Their funding period will also be extended by the same length as the absence.
- Entitlement to paid sick leave applies from the point of initial enrolment, until the end of the funding period.
- Absences that are not covered by a medical certificate are not eligible for paid sick leave.
- Students experiencing short-term, self-limiting illnesses which are not covered by medical certificates, should not apply for paid sick leave. Their usual stipend payments will continue as normal and no funded extension will be provided.
*UKRI funded students may claim up to 196 calendar days (28 weeks) in any rolling 12-month period if they are ill with Covid or a Covid-related condition including shielding.
Back to Funded PGR Policy