Remove pages or files from search results
If you don't want your SiteBuilder page to appear in search results, you can block Warwick Search and other search engines from indexing your page.
Note: Even though this is a request to search engines – not an instruction they must obey – some badly-behaved search engines may ignore the request. Warwick Search honours the request though, as do Google and most major search engines.
In this article:
- Go to the page you want to remove from search engine results.
- Go to Edit > Edit page properties.
- Expand the Change page properties section, then deselect Allow search engines. This property is selected by default when you create a new page because, generally, you do want search engines to index your pages.
- Select Save.
- Go to the page in SiteBuilder that contains the uploaded file.
- Go to Edit > More, then select the Files tab.
- Select the file to highlight it, then select Properties.
- Deselect Allow the Warwick Search service to include this file.
- Select Save.
Time to take effect
After you update the page's or file's properties to request that search engines do not index the page or file, it can take a short time for the page or file to disappear from search results.
For Warwick Search, the page or file disappears from search results immediately. External search engines, such as Google, typically update their index when they next crawl your website – usually within 48 hours.
Related help articles
- Search for past exam papers
- Search for people at Warwick
- Improve a SiteBuilder page's rank in search engine results
- Add a live search box to a SiteBuilder page
- Refine your search
- Ranking factors
- Content types indexed by Warwick Search
- Remove pages or files from search results
- RSS and JSON feeds of search results
Email webteam at warwick dot ac dot uk