Coronavirus (Covid-19): Latest updates and information
Skip to main content Skip to navigation

New student FAQs

subpage banner image

Frequently asked questions for new students - last updated: 7 Oct 2020

I have not applied to Warwick yet

If you have a question about applying for a course, please visit Study at Warwick.

I have applied to Warwick, and I have a Warwick student ID number

Frequently asked questions

Please click on the relevant section below to expand the guidance. Click here for Coronavirus FAQ and Welcome to Warwick - Guidance for New Students.
  • If you are starting a course in September/October 2020, you should have now received an invitation to complete course registration (online enrolment).

    If you have already received your visa, please go ahead and enrol - you will be required to upload a copy of your passport and visa.

    If you have not yet applied for a visa, or, have not yet received your visa, please read the 'Permission to Enrol' webpage for further information.

  • If you are an offer holder and are starting a new course, your CAS will be issued by your Admissions service.

    Student Immigration cannot expedite any CAS request unless you are already in the UK and your current UK visa is expiring imminently.

    Your Admissions Team will only issue a CAS once you have:

    • met your offer conditions
    • received an email inviting you to check your personal details for a CAS
    • submitted an online CAS request confirming the details in your CAS Template

    Not sure how to complete the 'intended date to travel to the UK' field on your CAS request form? See Q7 below.

    CAS 'latest start date' update:

    If you received your CAS before 12 August 2020, your CAS will have a 5-week latest start date. We have now contacted all the students in this situation with personalised advice. If you have not received the email, please contact us so that we can re-send the email.

    Any other queries relating to your CAS should be made to your Admissions Team:

    Warwick | Study | Admissions | Undergraduate | FAQs

    Warwick | Study | Admissions | Postgraduate | FAQs

    Warwick | Student Immigration | Visa Portal | Student Visas (Tier 4) | CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies)

  • Please note: if you are required to self-isolate for 10 days on arriving in the UK, you should make arrangements to collect your BRP card AFTER you have completed the self-isolation. You do not need to worry about the requirement of collecting within 10 working days of arriving in the UK.

    If you have used the 'ACL code' when applying for your Tier 4 visa, your BRP will be sent to the University. When your BRP card arrives, you will receive an email to invite you to book an appointment to collect it. If you are collecting your BRP during the Welcome week (26 September to 6 October), you will need to book an appointment via the Welcome timetable (booking is now open). If you will collect your BRP after 6 October, you will need to book an appointment via MyAdvantage (booking is now open).

    If you have not used the 'ACL code' then you are expected to collect your BRP from the post office. You will then need to upload a copy of that via the Enrolment Dashboard.

    More information can be found on our BRP webpage.

  • The UKVI has made a concession that allows students who are subject to Immigration Control, to start their course from outside of the UK, subject to them joining the course at a later date.

    Please find your course start date, deadline to complete course registration (online) and deadline to arrive in the UK here:

Starting your course remotely

Frequently asked questions

Please click on the relevant section below to expand the guidance. Click here for Coronavirus FAQ and Welcome to Warwick - Guidance for New Students.
  • You will not need a CAS or a visa to start studying remotely, however, you will need to obtain a Tier 4 visa before you can travel to the UK.

    You cannot apply for a Tier 4 visa without a CAS.

    You must arrive in the UK by your latest start date:

    The university is required to monitor your academic engagement regardless of whether you have applied for or received your visa.

  • The process works exactly the same way, however, if you request a CAS AFTER your course start date, it is likely that we will need to put some additional text on your CAS to explain that you started your course remotely.

    Please note

    Tier 4 Pilot Scheme (for students starting a Master's degree) has now closed.

    This means if you have not made your Tier 4 visa application online yet, you will no longer be eligible for the scheme and you will be expected to submit financial evidence with your visa application in most cases (unless you are a low risk national). Please read the Immigration rules change new item on the top of this webpage.

    On 27 October 2020, the Immigration Health Surcharge will increase from £300 per year to £470 per year.

    Therefore, we would encourage you to submit your Tier 4 visa application online (meaning that you pay the Immigration Health Surcharge and visa application fees online) as soon as you are ready, even if you are permitted to travel to the UK at a later date, or in early January 2021.

  • This is to help with our planning.

    We are expecting students to arrive on campus throughout the first term, and therefore, we will use this data to plan our service provision, particularly where students will be collecting their Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) from the University, to enable them to do so in a staggered manner, observing social distancing.

    We understand that at the time of requesting a CAS, you probably won't have a firm plan in terms of the date you intend to travel to the UK.

    Therefore, the date you provide on the CAS request form is used purely to help with our planning and not for anything else.

    If your 'intended travel date' changes after requesting a CAS, but you still intend to travel to the UK before your CAS latest start date, there is no need to tell us.

    If your 'intended travel date' changes and you are no longer able to travel to the UK by the course start date because you haven't received your visa, you will be asked to provide a new 'intended travel date' when you complete online course registration.

Your Tier 4 Visa application and Travel to the UK

Frequently asked questions

Please click on the relevant section below to expand the guidance. Click here for Coronavirus FAQ and Welcome to Warwick - Guidance for New Students.
  • UKVI visa application centres have started re-opening from 01/Jun/2020 and the majority of the overseas visa applications have now opened.

    The UKVI has also confirmed that distance/blended learning will be permitted for the 2020/21 academic year, as long as our international students intend to transition to face-to-face learning, that is, travel to the UK with a Tier 4 visa, as soon as circumstances allow.

    Therefore, we would recommend that you apply for your Tier 4 visa in good time to ensure you arrive in the UK by the 'latest start date' as stated on your CAS/Offer Letter.

    Also refer to Q6 above regarding when you should apply for your Tier 4 visa.

  • Please refer to our detailed guidance provided on the links below.

    You can also download a ‘document checklist’ and ‘application form guidance’ which outline detailed document requirements and provide screen-by-screen help text on how to complete your visa application form:

    Warwick | Student Immigration | Visa Portal | Student Visas (Tier 4) | Applying for your Tier 4 visa outside of the UK

    Warwick | Student Immigration | Visa Portal | Student Visas (Tier 4) | Applying for your Tier 4 visa in the UK

    The Immigration rules changed on 5 October and the team is working hard to update all the relevant webpages. We will aim to update the majority of the webpages by 26 October. If you are making your visa application between 5 and 26 October, and would like to talk to us about the new requirements, please contact us via our online contact form.

  • If your 90 day TTV expires before you are able to travel, you will need to make a 'vignette transfer' application and obtain a new temporary travel visa.

    You will have to pay a fee for this new application and provide your biometric information again by attending an appointment.

    You do not need a new CAS.

    Information on applying for a replacement visa is available on the Home Office website.

    You should use the same online application form that you used to apply for your Student visa but you should select the following options:

    • Select your Nationality
    • Select preferred Language
    • Select BRP Vignette Transfer

    Follow the next few screens to start the application form

    At the end of the application form you should use the 'Any other information' field to explain that you have been granted a Tier 4 visa to study in the UK but you need a new travel vignette and give the relevant reason.

    You must ensure that you will still be arriving by the latest start date on your CAS which is 06/Apr/2021 for most students.

    When your new temporary travel visa is received, you need to notify the University of this. You should upload a copy of it to the visa upload form and choose the 'New temporary travel visa received due to delay in arrival to the UK' option.

Arriving in the UK and beyond

Frequently asked questions

Please click on the relevant section below to expand the guidance. Click here for Coronavirus FAQ and Welcome to Warwick - Guidance for New Students.
  • Great! Please visit our Travel and Entering the UK webpage for more detailed guidance on what you need to do before and immediately after travelling to the UK. The University has an information hub about self-isolation upon arrival in the UK as well.

    We'd like to highlight the following:

    1) Under current UK government guidance, international passengers are required to complete an online form 48 hours before arrival and provide an address where they will self-isolate for 10 days (there are some exemptions in place).

    The UK government will review the quarantine requirement every 3 weeks.

    Therefore, you should check our 'Travel and entering the UK' page above at least 3 weeks before you come to the UK.

    2) You may need to self-isolate (quarantine) for 10 days once you arrive in the UK.

    For more information on how to serve quarantine (self-isolate) for 10 days from the date you enter the UK, for example, if you are allowed to go shopping or visit a doctor, see the UK Governments guidance on the following links:

    GOV.UK | Coronavirus (COVID-19): entering the UK - link to the online form to fill out 48 hours before arrival

    GOV.UK | Coronavirus (COVID-19): how to self-isolate when you travel to the UK - activities allowed and not allowed during the 10-day period

    GOV.UK | Coronavirus (COVID-19): travel corridors - countries that are exempt from the 10-day quarantine requirement

    3) You may wish to arrive 2 weeks before for self-isolation, if required

    If you are aiming to come to Warwick at the start of the Autumn term, you should aim to arrive in the UK 2 weeks before the 'Welcome Week' which starts on 26 September, as it is an important introduction to life at Warwick and to your academic studies.

    If you are aiming to come to Warwick in January 2021, please check our guidance nearer the time. In all cases, you will be expected to provide evidence of travelling to the UK (such as an immigration entry stamp) which shows an entry date that is both within the validity of your 30 day/ 90 day travel visa, and no later than 11 January 2021.

  • If you need to self-isolate then you will need to complete the online part of the police registration within 7 days of arriving in the UK.

    If you have not got your BRP card yet, you can enter the visa number from your 90-day travel visa (this is the number on the top right corner of your visa) when completing the online form. If you need to self-isolate, both Warwickshire Police and West Midlands Police have confirmed that you have 14 days to complete the online part of the police registration (although we still recommend that you do so in 7 days if you are able, to future proof your immigration status).

    You can then book your in-person appointment on a date which is after your 10 day self-isolation. You must bring your BRP with you when you attend the appointment (amongst other mandatory documents).

    You can find comprehensive information on our Police Registration website.

  • If you need to quarantine after arriving in the UK and have pre-arranged accommodation in the UK, then you will be able to quarantine in that accommodation.

    If you cannot provide an address then the UK government will arrange accommodation at your expense.

    Therefore, if you have private accommodation arranged by yourself, you should choose a contract start date which is from your intended arrival date.

    Please refer to the Self Isolation on Arrival webpage for further information

    If you are offered campus accommodation, please refer to Warwick Accommodation website for further information:

    Warwick | Stay Safe at Warwick | Accommodation | Campus accommodation FAQs

    They will be able to provide you with guidance on the following areas:

    When you can check into your accommodation

    How to get food/grocery shopping done whilst under quarantine

    What support our Residential Life team will be able to offer - these are tutors who live alongside students within the Halls of Residence.

  • As you may be aware, the UK government has announced their intention to introduce a new Graduate Route work visa in the summer of 2021.

    This will benefit those international students who graduate from a degree-level course or above and who hold a valid Tier 4 visa when the scheme launches in the summer of 2021.

    In a policy guidance document published on 16 June 2020, UKVI stated that those studying by distance/blended learning will also be eligible to apply for the Graduate Route work visa provided they are physically in the UK before 6 April 2021 and complete the final semester of their studies in the UK, provided all other eligibility criteria are met.

    For further information on this scheme including what we know so far, please refer to our Graduate Route work visa webpage:

    Warwick | Student Immigration | Visa Portal | Graduate Route

Related Sections