- 2012-2016: Assistant Professor of Modern Chinese History, University of Warwick
- 2012: PhD in History (History of Science), Princeton University
- 2008: MA in History (History of Science), Princeton University
- 2006: MA in Quantitative Methods in the Social Sciences, Columbia University
- 2005: BS magna cum laude in Biochemistry, University of Southern California
- 2005: BA magna cum laude in Psychology, University of Southern California
My research focuses on the intellectual and cultural history of twentieth-century China, with an emphasis on gender, sexuality, and the human sciences. A parallel strand of my research interest has been concerned with the mutual shaping of science studies and area studies. Broadly speaking, I work at the intersections of modern Chinese and East Asian history, the history of science and medicine, global queer studies, theories of empire, and Sinophone studies (esp. Taiwan and Hong Kong). In engaging with these fields, I am completing a manuscript titled "After Eunuchs: Science, Medicine, and the Transformations of Sex in Modern China." I have embarked on a new project tentatively called "China's Global Impulse: Medicine, Culture, and the Politics of Gender." With Hsiu-fen Chen, I co-directed an AHRC-funded research network on "China and the Human Sciences: 1600 to the Present" (2014-16). I am affiliated with the Global History and Culture Centre and the Centre for the History of Medicine and, from 2013 to 2016, served as the director of the MA Course in Global History.
- HI 294 History of Modern China (undergraduate second-year option module)
- HI 31Y Intimate Matters: Gender, Sexuality and the Body in Global History (undergraduate final-year Advanced Option module)
- HI 965 Global History: Themes, Issues and Approaches (MA core module)
- HI 986 China and the Human Sciences: 1600 to the Present (MA option module)
- HI 996 Themes and Approaches to the Histocial Study of Gender & Sexuality (MA option module)
- HI 997 Themes in Global and Comparative History (MA core module)
- HI 153 Making of the Modern World (undergraduate first-year core module)
- HI 173 Empire and Aftermath (undergraduate first-year option module)
- HI 176 Kill or Cure: The History of Medicine and Health (undergraduate first-year option module)
- HI 323 Historiography (undergraduate final-year core module)
- HI 907 Themes and Methods in Medical History (MA core module)
- HI 944 Historical Research: Theory, Skill and Method (MA core module)
- HI 978 History and Film (MA core module)
- HI 991 Matters of Life and Death: Topics in the Medical Humanities (MA option module)
- After Eunuchs: Science, Medicine, and the Transformations of Sex in Modern China (in progress)
- Power and Pleasure: Writing the History of Sexuality in China, edited (in progress)
- The Making of the Human Sciences in China: Historical and Conceptual Foundations, edited (Brill, forthcoming)
- Perverse Taiwan, edited with Yin Wang (Routledge, 2016)
- Historical Epistemology and the Making of Modern Chinese Medicine, edited (Manchester University Press, 2015)
- Psychiatry and Chinese History, edited (Pickering & Chatto, 2014)
- Queer Sinophone Cultures, edited with Ari Larissa Heinrich (Routledge, 2013)
- Transgender China, edited (Palgrave Macmillan, 2012)
Edited Special Issues of Journals:
- "Rethinking Postcolonial Medicine in Taiwan and Korea," ed., special issue, East Asian Science, Technology and Society: An International Journal 11 (2017).
- "Trans-in-Asia, Asia-in-Trans," ed. with Todd Henry and Helen Leung, special issue, TSQ: Transgender Studies Quarterly 4, no. 3 (August 2017).
- "Queer Asia as Critique," ed. with Alvin K. Wong, special issue, Culture, Theory and Critique 58, no. 2 (April 2017).
- "Revisiting The History of Sexuality: Thinking with Foucault at Forty," ed., special issue, Cultural History 5, no. 2 (October 2016).
- "Ordering the Social: History of the Human Sciences in Modern China," ed., special issue, History of Science 53, no. 1 (March 2015).
- "Queer Transnationalism in China," ed., topical cluster, English Language Notes 49, no. 1 (Spring/Summer 2011).
- "Apparatus XY: Gender Praxes in the History of Chinese and Western Medicine," ed., special issue, gender forum: An Internet Journal for Gender Studies 24 (March 2009).
- "Gender Transformations in Sinophone Taiwan," positions: asia critique 25, no. 3 (2017): forthcoming.
- "Intimate Equality and Transparent Selves: Legalizing Transgender Marriage in Hong Kong," Culture, Theory and Critique 58, no. 2 (2017): forthcoming.
- "Asia is Burning: Queer Asia as Critique," with Alvin K. Wong, Culture, Theory and Critique 58, no. 2 (2017): forthcoming.
- "The Axiom of Sex," Journal of Women's History 28, no. 4 (2016): forthcoming.
- "Queering the Transnational Turn: Regionalism and Queer Asias," with Alvin K. Wong, Gender, Place and Culture: A Journal of Feminist Geography 23, no. 11 (2016): forthcoming.
- "Revisiting Foucault: Thinking with The History of Sexuality at Forty," Cultural History 5, no. 2 (2016): 115-121.
- "Translating Culture and Psychiatry across the Pacific: How Koro Became Culture-Bound," History of Science 53, no. 1 (2015): 102-119.
- "Ordering the Social: History of the Human Sciences in Modern China," History of Science 53, no. 1 (2015): 4-8.
- "Archiving Peripheral Taiwan: The Prodigy of the Human and Historical Narration," Radical History Review, no. 120 (2014): 204-225.
- "Queering China: A New Synthesis," GLQ: A Journal of Lesbian and Gay Studies 20, no. 3 (2014): 353-378.
- "Liberating Sex, Knowing Desire: Scientia Sexualis and Epistemic Turning Points in the History of Sexuality," History of the Human Sciences 23, no. 5 (2010): 42-69.
- "Epistemic Modernity and the Emergence of Homosexuality in China," Gender and History 22, no. 3 (2010): 629-657. (Winner of the 2010 Gregory Sprague Prize for Outstanding Article in LGBT History, Committee on LGBT History, American Historical Association)
- "The Laboratory Technology of Discrete Molecular Separation: The Historical Development of Gel Electrophoresis and the Material Epistemology of Biomolecular Science, 1945-1970," Journal of the History of Biology 42, no. 3 (2009): 495-527. (Finalist for the 2009 Marjorie Grene Prize, International Society for the History, Philosophy, and Social Studies of Biology)
- "Rethinking 'Style' for Historians and Philosophers of Science: Converging Lessons from Sexuality, Translation, and East Asian Studies," Studies in History and Philosophy of Biological and Biomedical Sciences 40, no. 2 (2009): 109-118.
- "The Conceptual Contours of Sex in the Chinese Life Sciences: Zhu Xi (1899-1962), Hermaphroditism, and the Biological Discourse of Ci and Xiong, 1920-1950," East Asian Science, Technology and Society: An International Journal 2, no. 3 (2008): 401-430.
- "Effecting Science, Affecting Medicine: Homosexuality, the Kinsey Reports, and the Contested Boundaries of Psychopathology in the United States, 1948-1965," Journal of the History of the Behavioral Sciences 44, no. 4 (2008): 300-318. (Winner of the 2007 John C. Burham Early Career Award, Forum for the History of Human Science, History of Science Society; Honorable Mention of the 2006 Gregory Sprague Prize for Outstanding Article in LGBT History, Committee on LGBT History, American Historical Association)
- "Changing Sex in the Urban Press: Scientific Modernity and the Shaping of Transsexual Subjects in Twentieth-Century China," in Power and Pleasure: Writing the History of Sexuality in China, ed. Howard Chiang (forthcoming).
- "Transgender in China," in Handbook on the Family and Marriage in China, ed. Xiaowei Zang (Cheltenham: Edward Elgar, forthcoming).
- "In the Shadow of Empire: The Words and Worlds of Sexual Science," in Towards a Global History of Sexual Science: 1880-1960, ed. Douglas Haynes, Veronika Fuechtner, and Ryan Jones (Berkeley: University of California Press, forthcoming).
- "Christine Goes to China: Xie Jianshun and the Discourse of Sex Change in Cold War Taiwan," in Gender, Health and History in Modern East Asia, ed. Angela Ki Che Leung and Izumi Nakayama (Hong Kong: Hong Kong University Press, forthcoming).
- "Perverse Taiwan," with Yin Wang, in Perverse Taiwan, ed. Howard Chiang and Yin Wang (London: Routledge, forthcoming).
- "Sinoglossia Incarnate: The Entanglements of Castration across the Pacific," in East Asian Men: Masculinity, Sexuality and Desire, ed. Xiaodong Lin, Chris Haywood, and Mairtin Mac an Ghaill (New York: Palgrave Macmillan, forthcoming).
- "Data of Desire: Translating (Homo)Sexology in Republican China," in Sexology and Translation: Cultural and Scientific Encounters across the Modern World, 1880-1930, ed. Heike Bauer (Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 2015), 72-90.
- "Historical Epistemology and the Making of Modern Chinese Medicine," in Historical Epistemology and the Making of Modern Chinese Medicine, ed. Howard Chiang (Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2015), 3-38.
- "Historicizing Chinese Psychiatry," in Psychiatry and Chinese History, ed. Howard Chiang (London: Pickering & Chatto, 2014), 1-15.
- "(De)Provincializing China: Queer Historicism and Sinophone Postcolonial Critique," in Queer Sinophone Cultures, ed. Howard Chiang and Ari Larissa Heinrich (London: Routledge, 2013), 19-51.
- "How China Became a 'Castrated Civilization' and Eunuchs a 'Third Sex,'" in Transgender China, ed. Howard Chiang (New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2012), 23-66.
- "Imagining Transgender China," in Transgender China, ed. Howard Chiang (New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2012), 3-19.
- "Sexuality and Gender in Cold War America: Social Experiences, Cultural Authorities, and the Roots of Political Change," in Cold War and McCarthy Era: People and Perspectives, ed. Caroline S. Emmons (Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO, 2010), 111-128.
- "China's Global Impulse: Medicine, Culture, and the Politics of Gender" explores the role of China in shifiting the global terms of social and cultural thought since the 1950s, focusing on examples in mental health, alternative medicine, social movement, and transgender cultures.
- "Global Encyclopedia of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer History" is a 3-volume, 1 million-word encyclopedia commissioned by Charles Scribner's Sons that will be an up-to-date global companion to the Encyclopedia of LGBT History in America (2004) edited by Marc Stein.
- "Sinoglossia" is a volume co-edited with Andrea Bachner (Cornell University) and Yu-lin Lee (National Chung Hsing University) that combines a heteroglossiac and heterotopian approach to the critical study of mediated discourses of China and Chineseness.
Conferences & Workshops Organized
- Psy-Sciences in China (August 11, 2016) with Hsuan-Ying Huang
- China and the Human Sciences: 1600 to the Present Final Conference (July 10-12, 2016)
- Mapping Mental Health in East Asia (August 21, 2015) with Wen-Ji Wang
- China and the Human Sciences: 1600 to the Present Interim Conference (August 19-20, 2015) with Hsiu-fen Chen
- Gender, Sexuality, and the Making of the Human Subject in Transnational China (June 18, 2015)
- Unruly Minds: Mental Health and the Human Sciences in Chinese Contexts (April 9, 2015) with Harry Wu
- Subimperial Formations of Medicine: Taiwan and Korea (July 7-8, 2014)
- Sinoglossia: Taiwan, China, and Beyond (February 28-March 1, 2014) with Chien-hsin Tsai and Andrea Bachner
- Queer Asia as Historical Critique (May 25, 2013)
- Critical Entanglements: Histories and Cultures of Global Health (May 17, 2013) with Sarah Hodges
- Recovery: Memory, Corpus, Space (May 8, 2013) with Humanities Research Centre Staff Fellows
- Reproducing China: Childbirth, One Child, and Beyond (July 13-14, 2012) with Leon Rocha, Lily Chang, and Volker Scheid
- The (After)Life of Traditional Knowledge: The Cultural Politics and Historical Epistemology of East Asian Medicine (August 20-21, 2010) with Carla Nappi and Volker Scheid
- Trans Ventures: Trans/Formations of Gender in Sinophone Culture (May 2, 2009)
- Apparatus XY: An Interdisciplinary Conference on Gender, Sexuality, and Science (April 4, 2008) with Nathan Ha
Major Awards, Grants, and Fellowships
- Young Scholar Award Finalist, European Association for Chinese Studies (2016)
- Research Networking Grant, Arts and Humanities Research Council (2014-16)
- Group Grant, D. Kim Foundation for the History of Science and Technology in East Asia (2014-15)
- Visiting Scholar, Templeton "Science and Religion in East Asia" Project, Science Culture Research Centre, Seoul National University (2013)
- Small Research Grant, Wellcome Trust for Medical History and Humanities (2012-13)
- Academia Sinica Fellowship for Doctoral Candidates in the Humanities and Social Sciences, Institute of Modern History, Academia Sinica (2011-12)
- Conference and Seminar Grant in the European Region, Chiang Ching-Kuo Foundation for International Scholarly Exchange (2010-11)
- Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Research Fellowship, Needham Research Institute (2010)
- Gregory Sprague Prize for Outstanding Article in LGBT History, Committee on LGBT History, American Historical Association (2010)
- John C. Burnham Early Career Award, Forum for the History of Human Science, History of Science Society (2007)
- University Fellowship and the Shelby Cullom Davis Departmental Stipend, Princeton University (2006-2011)
- Name Added to the Wall of Scholars in the Thomas and Dorothy Leavey Library, University of Southern California (2005)
- Steven and Kathryn Sample Renaissance Scholar Endowment, University of Southern California (2005)
- Louise Kerckhoff Prize for the Best Undergraduate Paper in Gender Studies, Gender Studies Program, University of Southern California (2004)
- First Place in the Humanities Category, 6th Undergraduate Symposium for Scholarly and Creative Work, University of Southern California (2004)
- Equality and Diversity Working Group, Department of History, University of Warwick, 2016
- Seminar Series Convenor, Centre for the History of Medicine, University of Warwick, 2015-16
- Course Director, MA in Global History, Department of History, University of Warwick, 2013-16
- Postgraduate Committee, Department of History, University of Warwick, 2013-16
- Asian Students Coordinator, Department of History, University of Warwick, 2012-13
- Research Committee, Department of History, University of Warwick, 2012-13
- Staff Fellow, Humanities Research Centre, Faculty of Arts, University of Warwick, 2012-13
- Staff Search Committees, Department of History, University of Warwick, 2012-13 & 2014-15
- General Editor, Cultural History
- Series Editor, Studies for the International Society for Cultural History
- Editorial Board, Journal of Women's History
- Editorial Board, TSQ: Transgender Studies Quarterly
- Editorial Board, Spontaneous Generations: A Journal for the History and Philosophy of Science
- Governing Board, Society for Queer Asian Studies (since 2015)
- American Historical Association (since 2007)
- Association for Asian Studies (since 2012)
- Committee on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender History (since 2006)
- European Association for Chinese Studies (since 2016)