Week 10: France in 1600 and the Impact of War
How devastating was the impact of the wars on France and its people?
- James B. Wood, 'The Impact of the Wars of Religion: A View of France in 1581', Sixteenth Century Journal, 15 (1984)
- Mark Greengrass, 'The Later Wars of Religion in the French Midi', and ...
- Philip Benedict, 'Civil War and Natural Disaster in Northern France', both in P. Clark (ed.), The European Crisis of the 1590s (1985), pp. 84-134
- 'Catholics and Huguenots in Sixteenth-Century Rouen: The Demographic Effects of the Religious Wars', French Historical Studies, 9 (1975), 209-34
- Penny Roberts, 'Urban Conflict and Royal Authority: Popular Revolts in Sixteenth-Century Troyes', Urban History, 34 (2007), 189-207
- David Potter (ed.), Foreign Intelligence and Information in Elizabethan England: Two English Treatises on the State of France, 1580-1584 (2004)
Also local case studies in entries under 'Warfare' and 'The Catholic League'
Documents: Potter, Chap. 8, documents 12, 22-24