Our strategic central location highlights:
- Our close affinity with mathematics, statistics and engineering, in particular in the areas of discrete mathematics, data science and image processing;
- Our underpinning role in interdisciplinary research, highlighted through our strength in computational biology, complexity science and scientific computing;
- Our role in business, innovation and knowledge transfer, as demonstrated by our numerous start-ups.
We play a leading role in seven inter-/multi-disciplinary research centres:
- Centre for Discrete Mathematics and its Applications (DIMAP), funded by a £3.8M EPSRC Science and Innovation Award
- Warwick Complexity Complex (ComCom), funded by £11.2M in EPSRC Doctoral Training Centre grants in Complexity Science
- Mathematics for Real-World Systems (MathSys), funded by EPSRC with support from MRC and involving 13 external partners drawn from industry, finance and health
- The Zeeman Institute for Systems Biology & Infectious Disease Epidemiology Research (SBIDER), at whose core is a desire to better understand and predict the biological world, often with the ultimate goal of controlling disease
- Centre for Scientific Computing (CSC), an interdisciplinary research community based around the sharing of knowledge and expertise in computer modelling and simulation. The Centre promotes expert and knowledgeable use of facilities provided by the Scientific Computing Research Technology Platform.
- Warwick Institute for the Science of Cities (WISC), which has been awarded a £4M Doctoral Training Centre grant in Urban Science.
- Warwick Data Science Institute (WDSI), which builds upon the enormous power and range of Warwick's research expertise across the Mathematical Sciences, to promote innovative research collaborations that will help shape the future of data analysis.
The Department has three strategic research objectives:
- To engage in inter-/multi-disciplinary research to improve quality of life, health, national security, education and social cohesion;
- To develop new computing science techniques and seek methods of application and commercialisation;
- To provide leading advice and knowledge transfer to government and industry, and promote jobs and growth through technical innovation.
We are proud to be recognised for our many start-ups and innovative software products, including:
- Allinea Software Ltd, a world-leader in software development tools for parallel programming and high-performance computing
- Warwick Warp Ltd, who deliver advanced fingerprint solutions with ultra-high accuracy which are deployed worldwide
- Microsoft’s System Centre, providers of unified capacity planning and management through infrastructure provisioning, monitoring, and automation
- Perkin Elmer’s Volocity, leading tools to visualize, analyze and validate 3D fluorescence images from a wide range of confocal microscopy
- Forensic Pathway's Forensic Image Analyser, software for imaging device identification used in intellectual property and copyright protection, proof of ownership and audit trail of images, paedophile, child pornography and protection investigations