PLATO 2017 Local Information
Parking on campus is either by Pay and Display, or by Parking Permit. More information can be found on the University website.
Pay and Display is £4 per day. Permits are free for conference attendees, and had to be pre-registered for, then printed out and displayed in the car windscreen at all times.
Wi-Fi access across central campus
The Eduroam wi-fi network service is available across campus. If you already have an Eduroam account, then you should be able to connect to this network using your normal login details. If you are unable to log-in, please contact your own institution for advice.
Food and drink
Guests with a particular food allergy or dietary requirement were asked to provide this information on their registration form. Vegetarian options were available by default at all meals.
Restaurants and Bars
For guests whose accommodation choice did not include dinner, there were several options for food both on and around central campus:
- Le Gusta Oven & Bar in the Warwick Arts Centre (last orders 9pm, closed on Sunday).
- Cafe Bar is a small outlet in the Warwick Arts Centre (open until 9pm).
- Varsity, with an extensive bar menu, is a 5 minute walk from central campus (#10 on map).
- Xananas is a bistrot style restaurant in the Students Union Building (until 10pm, Mon-Fri).
- Terrace Bar (until late) and The Dirty Duck (food until 9pm, bar until late) in the Students Union Building (Mon-Fri).
- Fusion is on the first floor of the Rootes building (open until 10pm).
- You can also travel off-campus to Coventry, Kenilworth, or Leamington Spa.
Other facilities on central campus
For a map of campus with important areas marked, please see the Conference Venue page.
- For urgent issues, contact Conference Reception on 02476 528910
- Rootes Grocery Store is located next to the Students Union building (#8 on map)
- There is a pharmacy located in the Students Union building and Rootes grocery store which sells toileteries and a variety of items.
- The campus has a range of facilities available to all delegates, for information and opening times please see this website.
- The Sports Centre (#12 on map) on central campus features a 25m swimming pool and sauna, state of the art gym, squash courts, and a climbing wall.
- Opening hours are 07:00 to 21:30 (Monday to Friday) and 08:15 to 19:30 (Saturday and Sunday).
- Lockers are available and require a 1 pound coin (tokens can be purchased from the Sports Centre reception).
- Towel hire is available at a minimal charge.
- Westwood campus (a 15 minute walk from central campus) has a full-size running track, astro-turf pitches, and tennis courts (indoor and outdoor).
- To make a booking or for further information, visit the Warwick Sport website
- Warwick Arts Centre (#11 on map) has a broad, varied program of events running throughout the year, covering stand-up comedy, classical music, theatre, musicals, and films. For more information visit their website.
- Taxis are available on Health Centre Road (#6 on map) at most times of the day. Alternatively you can contact Conference Reception on 02476 528910 for more information and relevant phone numbers.
- Electricity is supplied at 220/240v and 50 cycles AC. Adaptors are available to purchase in Rootes Grocery Store on Central campus.
- A launderette is situated between Rootes Building and Rootes residences. Opening times are available from Conference Reception for self-service washing and drying.
- All machines and driers are operated using a card payment system which can be purchased from the launderette at a cost of £10 (£2 for the card and £8 of available spend for use on machines or driers). Washing powder and softener is not provided. You can purchase this from Rootes Grocery Store.
- A dry cleaning service is available in Rootes Grocery Store and the Chemist situated in the Student Union Atrium.
- There is no resident doctor available for conference delegates. If you require a first aider, contact the 24hr Security Team on 02476 522083. Alternatively, there is a Walk-In Medical Centre in Coventry (accessible via bus).
- There are branches of both Barclays and Santander on campus, located in the Students Union atrium.
- Free ATMs are available in the Students Union atrium, and outside the Rootes Grocery Store.
- Cannon Park Shopping Centre is a ten minute walk from Central Campus. It has a 24hr Tesco (open 10am-4pm on Sundays), an Aldi, and several smaller retail shops.