The Poor Law Workers' Trade Union was established on 7 December 1918 and changed its name to the Poor Law Officers' Union (1922), the National Union of County Officers (1930) and the Hospitals and Welfare Services Union (1943). It amalgamated with the Mental Hospital and Institutional Workers' Union in 1946 to form the Confederation of Health Service Employees.
The union's 'Monthly Notes' were published between 1920-1922 and are available to view through the Modern Record Centre's catalogue. 'Poor Law Gazette',Link opens in a new window the successor to 'Monthly Notes', has also been digitised.
The 'Monthly Notes' include general articles and news items, branch news and job adverts. The focus of the publication is on conditions for Poor Law or workhouse staff (including nursing staff) rather than the inmates.