Pioneering Head Mistresses: An 1890 photograph album
This photograph album (document reference: MSS.188/12/1/1) is included in the archives of the Association of Head Mistresses, and contains 89 carte-de-visite sized photographs of AHM members taken by the leading Victorian photographic firm of Messrs. Elliott and Fry of Baker Street, London.
The Association of Head Mistresses of Endowed and Proprietary Schools was founded in 1874 by Miss Frances Mary Buss, Head Mistress of the North London Collegiate School for Girls. There were thirteen members. She was first President of the Association, holding office from its foundation until her death in 1894, when she was succeeded by the other great 'pioneer' headmistress, Miss Dorothea Beale of the Ladies College, Cheltenham. In 1896, when there were 166 ordinary women members, the Association became incorporated with the title 'The Association of Head Mistresses, Incorporated 1896'.